I have never hunted in the mountains or for elk

Find a GOOD pair of boots that fits your feet and start breaking them in.

That's where I would start. And buy boots for the hike out, not in.

Get in shape, that's a no brainer. But we all should be in shape, all the time.

Check your bow for tune with BH's sooner rather than later.

While you didn't tell us much about what kind of hunt that you are planning. Do not under estimate the conditioning factor it may be the difference in your ability to hunt or not after a couple of days. It will be a factor in how much you are able to enjoy the pursuit. It will likely be the hardest hunting you have ever done.

Be safe and enjoy the journey,

Gerald nailed it, get in great shape but don't get so stressed about it. I've sat out more trips then I've gone on because at the last minute decided I wasn't ready. Remember that it's supposed to be fun and even a bad day in the mountains is still a day in the mountains.
Shoot your bow out to where your comfortable if it's 20 yards than so be it. My max killing range is 30yds but way better at 20.
Go and have a good time. We expect to see some pics afterwards.

Yep, fitness is key. The mountains always take more than you think you have but by all means you and your buddy follow thru and go. Get the first one behind you and get hooked.

Looks like everyone has nailed it: Conditioning, boots, shooting, research, clothing, gear, and more conditioning.

I've already posted on here, but last year was my first elk hunt and hunting in any western state. I want to stress what almost made my hunt miserable.
I was invited to go 10 weeks before the hunt. I was in "good" shape, 170 lbs, 5'7", and 47 years old. But, I was not in the shape that I needed to be in. I was fortunate to be hunting with a friend who knew what he was doing. That was his 21st year hunting that area, and put me on my bull on the second day. 20 hrs of packing meat to the truck made me realize that I wasn't anywhere close to being in the shape that I needed to be in. My buddy however, at 54 yrs old, also from NC was running around those mts like it was nothing. He works out all year preparing for that 2 weeks of the year.
I have since followed suit and am doing something daily in preparation for this coming Sept. I've started a couple weeks ago toting my 70lb pack a couple miles every other day. 4 mile hike today.
Point being, purchasing equipment is easy, but if you want to have fun, hit the gym and hikings trail almost daily. I can't stress it enough. How consistently successful many mountain elk hunts have you watched where the hunter was out of shape?

Look up a local RMEF banquet in you area, and attend. Can't beat getting to know some experienced elk hunters in your area, and you will have a great time.

I am pretty sure there is one coming up not far from Burnsville!

Well broke in boots is a must. Find a hill close to home and hike with a 40 lb pack. I like ski resorts in the summer. Be careful carrying around to much weight to often. You can do damage before the hunt even begins.

Forget everything these guys have said. A flat brim bill cap is all it takes to shoot monster bulls. :)
Ouch!

I would agree with everything that has been said.
If you are a flat lander like me (and hope not to be a flat liner in 7 months) start down the road of getting fit now, i deal with altitude when i get to Montana, i have to, nothing higher than 1000' where i live.

Cheers

Richard

Get good boots, and a good pack, the rest of your whitetail gear should probably work if you dont have a huge budget. Cardio is great, but focus on step up and hills with a weighted pack. I would recommend being comfortable out to 50, if not only for the initial shot, but would also consider what might be needed for follow up shots. Practicing at longer distances, makes the shorter ones so much easier. Get something for elevation sickness, i.e., mt ops, wilderness athelete, or from your doc.Not everyone gets it, but it can ruin your hunt. Hydrate like crazy starting a couple days prior.

There is a train to hunt competition in the cities this summer that could also be beneficial.

Read up on altitude sickness. Can blow a hole though your hunt if sneaks up on you and you have no clue how to deal with the issues. Be prepared to move to lower altitude for a night, for example.

Good advice all...except the flat hat bs...lol
STAY HYDRATED!!!
This is important in the higher altitudes of the west.
Start walking daily and keep it up. Cardio....swimming is a great workout.
If you actually work for a living...the building trades,ranching,farming you have head start.
I know lots of desk/gym jocks that are weak sister in the woods.....

Good advice so far. Boots, familiarity with your gear, conditioning and homework etc., are great.

One thing that I may add that I witnessed first-hand, is that if you are going to hunt above 10,000 feet, conditioning is only part of the battle. I was hunting in northern New Mexico years ago and we were camped at about 9000 feet. Some young guys from Mississippi came in and camped at the end of the road above us-about 11,000 feet. Fortunately, they came in a couple days early. They were violently sick from altitude sickness and damn near went home. They laid in bed for a full day and did nothing. They finally acclimated and hunted hard. They were in decent shape, but the altitude flattened them. They took one decent bull and had a few other opportunities.

We had a great dinner of fresh trout half way through the season (mz).

Go to your hunting area AT LEAST two days early for acclimation and scouting.

So True sb, a very good idea to get acclimated 1st.
And go down in elevation if you do get altitude sickness,if just for a few hours.
I lived on the coast and hunted out of my cabin @ 7500' and up to 12k every year.
1st 2 days were always just hanging around settling in.
I live @ 7500' now but still take my time above 9k.
I've only had altitude sickness once,and it was not fun.

Lose as much weight as you can, get in great shape, really focusing on lower body, squats, sprints, hiking with weight, etc...

Also, get some GOOD boots and break them in now. On my 3rd back country hunt, I neglected my feet and developed some blisters that ruined my hunt.

Agree with most peoples replys. Especially being in shape and good broke in mountain boots. Don't forget good socks as well. A good camera, the mountains are beautiful. Trekking poles help more than one could imagine. And have a backup bow that is ready to go,(saved my trip in 2014) And as someone stated, this won't be your last trip out west, so when investing in gear, study the forums for recommended items and purchase quality gear.

Study all elk hunting sections on the forums, use the search option to further study items or topics you want to study more. Use google earth in both topo and aerial views.

Oh, yes a good gps helps and probably a personal locator beacon. Never used mine, but just read an article in the current outdoor life about an elk hunter who probably wished he had one. Cell phones are hit and miss.

Have fun getting ready, the anticipation and preparation is part of the overall experience!

Good Luck and HAVE FUN

Dan

Some great advice on here. I'm in the same situation myself as I'm planning my first elk hunt to Colorado. Living in northern Michigan it's hard to get into higher elevations but the advice on how to condition is definitely a big help.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back