Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

I hate mice..... I mean I want to kill every last one of them

Caught 5 on the same glue trap in one night under the hood of the truck. They kept chewing the insulation under the hood.
I might try the electronic things. I’m tired of dealing with the gross bastards

If its not a daily driver then you have options. i leave my quads, jeep, sxs in my shop at my cabin. Mice infested. If you leave the hood open they don't chew visible wires. For the inside of my jeep, boat and sxs which sit for months, 1/2 bard of Irish spring soap. they wont go near it.

Cant tell you how many problems I has before doing this.

I been struck by the little suckers many times, seems you can't have anything nice in a barn, shed or sitting in your drive. Over the years I had costly repairs to a riding mower, countless misc. items chewed up, piss smelling nests discovered, fuel line on pickup truck chewed through, windshield wiper tubes inside hood chewed through, Elec wiring on my SUV chewed through lighting up the dash like Christmas, patio furniture cushions destroyed, etc. etc.

About 5yrs ago a buddy of mine who has a friend that runs a pest control business told us he'd send us some bait stations and to surround our houses and any out buildings with them, keep them baited which is 2x a year. At times I start to think I've completely wiped them all out, then it seems it goes in waves I'll find plenty of poisined dead ones laying around outside. Property damage instances or evidence left has been greatly reduced since putting the bait stations out.

As other Tunda owners have stated, knock sensor wires are victim to mice damage quite frequently. I've had this happen to me. Soy based wire coating instead of petroleum based is the cause.

If they do enough damage to your knock sensor wiring it can put your truck in limp mode. It's also a 500 dollar fix, give or take, to have a mechanic replace sensors. Not a bad DIY job if your comfortable with it. Have to disconnect a bunch of wiring and tubing so you can take off your intake manifold and access the knock sensors. But doable.

I talked to a local pest control place after it happened to me for ideas on how to prevent it from happening again. There was a consensus among those guys that the only things that would work is classic traps, sticky traps, or a variety of 5 gallon bucket style traps that drown them. Peanut butter in the traps and put em around and under the truck.

They also said the sprays, odors, lights, other store bought deterrents won't work to keep them out of the engine bay. Poisons of course work, but you run the risk of the mouse crawling into your cab or air system and dying.

When I'm packing in in heavy mouse territory, I treat it like bear territory. Hang all my food, keep everything a mouse might be interested in out of the tent, and hang my pack on a tree.

My .02

Last edited:
The thing with bait is that it attracts them. It would be best to put in the guy next door that you don't like's truck
Yes it does!
I had a 30'x70' shop with concrete floors. Zonce I put out poison my mouse infestation multiplied 100 fold.
Believe it or not... I removed all bait poisons, put in traps, and started putting insect foggers in every room once a month and got them under control quickly.
Fogging them did wonders for control, as-well-as my morale!🤣

If its not a daily driver then you have options. i leave my quads, jeep, sxs in my shop at my cabin. Mice infested. If you leave the hood open they don't chew visible wires. For the inside of my jeep, boat and sxs which sit for months, 1/2 bard of Irish spring soap. they wont go near it.

Cant tell you how many problems I has before doing this.
We tried that at work with machines that sit over the winter, they ate the $*)Q!#@$ soap.

well, 3rd time in less than a year I get to spend time chasing down wire problems on my Tundra and fixing what they chewed up. I don't know what else I can do. I tried the peppermint spray, but maybe not often enough? More than likely I will have to pull the upper intake off and fix what they chewed under there. Dash looks like a Xmas tree with all the lights on. Last time it was the knock sensor wires, the time before that it was a headlight relay wire. This soy based wire insulation is the dumbest idea yet
Our insurance lady stopped by the office last spring and I could tell she was having a bad day. So we started talking and she said she was out inspecting vehicles with wires damaged from rodents. It was spring time and snowbirds were starting to come back to find their cars not starting. She said she doesn’t pay to fix them, totals them out usually and Toyotas are the worst because the wiring is soy based.

Ok these mother f’ers. Look I get I that we plowed their home to build our own home. I realized they would possibly seek some reparations, chewing holes in trash bags, eating food the kids left outside, hell I even fully expected them to somehow invade the 5th wheel and find the pantry. (Strange that hasn’t happened yet), anyhow they are completely destroying my wife’s 2022 expedition and my 2021 f250. We’ve tried it all, electronic noise makers connected to the battery, peppermint, dryer sheets, traps, poison, little sum bitches still come back. Somehow they are entering through the ac vents. They actually ate a hole through the side of the center consul under the seat and had babies and a nest in my wife’s expedition. I pulled the little @#)(# suckers out with a pair of kitchen tongs and tossed the crying babies in the trash along with mom. My daughters pleaded for their cute little lives but the wife had murder on her face. Few days ago AC fan quit working in my 250. This evening I pulled the cabin air filter out and found this. Pulled the remains of his body apart and out with a pair of needle nose plyers. Ac works now, smells like death. Wife’s been having strange electrical anomalies in the expedition as well. Anyone ever come up with a solution to these bastards? I’m willing to do anything. I’m actually seriously entertaining creating artificial snake habitat when we do landscaping and catching non poisonous native snakes and releasing them all over my property. Unfortunately one of my daughters has allergies from cats. This is war though.

Attachments

• 5ACF4E4B-70AF-4600-AF97-D28A5B538717.jpeg
    5ACF4E4B-70AF-4600-AF97-D28A5B538717.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
  • 7700F134-6227-4A09-96CC-F37BD74494EB.jpeg
    7700F134-6227-4A09-96CC-F37BD74494EB.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
Ok these mother f’ers. Look I get I that we plowed their home to build our own home. I realized they would possibly seek some reparations, chewing holes in trash bags, eating food the kids left outside, hell I even fully expected them to somehow invade the 5th wheel and find the pantry. (Strange that hasn’t happened yet), anyhow they are completely destroying my wife’s 2022 expedition and my 2021 f250. We’ve tried it all, electronic noise makers connected to the battery, peppermint, dryer sheets, traps, poison, little sum bitches still come back. Somehow they are entering through the ac vents. They actually ate a hole through the side of the center consul under the seat and had babies and a nest in my wife’s expedition. I pulled the little @#)(# suckers out with a pair of kitchen tongs and tossed the crying babies in the trash along with mom. My daughters pleaded for their cute little lives but the wife had murder on her face. Few days ago AC fan quit working in my 250. This evening I pulled the cabin air filter out and found this. Pulled the remains of his body apart and out with a pair of needle nose plyers. Ac works now, smells like death. Wife’s been having strange electrical anomalies in the expedition as well. Anyone ever come up with a solution to these bastards? I’m willing to do anything. I’m actually seriously entertaining creating artificial snake habitat when we do landscaping and catching non poisonous native snakes and releasing them all over my property. Unfortunately one of my daughters has allergies from cats. This is war though.
Been there, done that , got the t-shirt. I finally left the cabin filter out. Left the hood open when parked and put a poison bait chunk in a spot where it would ride. No wire issues luckily. They did get my truck a while ago but I was able to patch it. Mice suck.

Getting my boat trailer completely rewired on Monday due to F’n Mice shredding the wires. 🤬🤬🤬

I was up at my cabin over the weekend and found this when I went to leave. I have glue traps set with peanut butter right now. Internet says to spray some peppermint so I have ordered some from amazon. I park outside and concerned with neighbors dogs getting into any poison I put out. I have to park outside, truck is too tall to fit in garage. Has anybody ever tried to put wire mesh over vents into the cab? I know the mesh would almost have to be window screen as mice can get thru some pretty small openings. Truck is only 4 months old. :(

mice.jpg

Back