Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

I had an epiphany and joined the dark side

np307

I realized that I don't actually care about bowhunting, I just do it because it gives us an extra 2 months of hunting here. So I bought a crossbow. I now expect to fill all my tags in the first 2 weeks of the season. What other gear should I acquire to fully embrace my new dirt bag style?

A tripod to hold the crossbow up in the blind. That way you can set it up aimed at the bait pile ready to shoot. Makes it easy when you wake up from your nap to deal the deer a dirt nap.
Smart, sounds like you've got plenty of experience.

I purchased everything but the crossbow this year. A 9 & 11 year old had me rethinking my Spartan hunting style in favor of something with more luxury to get them started.
I plan to get mine started the real-deal southern way. Bring the kid on youth day when they're allowed to have a rifle during bow season, I shoot the deer with the rifle, take a picture of the kid holding the deer and talk about how proud I am.

My Dad hunts with a crossbow in KY where it’s legal, he’s 70, if it makes him smile I don’t give a damn what anyone thinks about it. However, if you are under 60 I reserve the right to lump you in with guys who ride “trikes” or scooters that aren’t elderly, ha ha.

I’m curious what you got and how you went about picking one. I know nothing about them, and kind of lump them All together. Is there any real differences?

I’m curious what you got and how you went about picking one. I know nothing about them, and kind of lump them All together. Is there any real differences?
Barnett whitetail II. Supposedly the Excalibur crossbows are the best out there by a long shot, but I didn't have that kind of money to drop on one. The Barnett has a fairly good reputation. I looked at a Bear but read they've had some problems with limbs cracking so I didn't want to deal with that. There's a few design categories but most of the popular ones are pretty similar from what I can tell.

Assuming you previously shot a compound bow, you already were living the dirtbag lifestyle. Seriously, the jump from compound bow to crossbow is FAR less than the jump from trad bow to compound.

Realistically, you will add 20 yards to your max vertical range and understand all the stuff that can go wrong at max range of any weapon you use. Make sure you use a broadhead that can handle the crossbow force when shot. They are loud AF and super slow to reload. You won’t get a second shot off.

Welcome to the club!

Assuming you previously shot a compound bow, you already were living the dirtbag lifestyle. Seriously, the jump from compound bow to crossbow is FAR less than the jump from trad bow to compound.

Realistically, you will add 20 yards to your max vertical range and understand all the stuff that can go wrong at max range of any weapon you use. Make sure you use a broadhead that can handle the crossbow force when shot. They are loud AF and super slow to reload. You won’t get a second shot off.

Welcome to the club!
Yeah that similarity is what made the jump easy. I hunt from the ground with no blind on public land. I get shots off with a compound but I just couldn't get over the sheer number of opportunities having to draw that bow back costs.

Make sure you practice with your broadheads of choice. Crossbows are not tunable like compounds. I hunted with a crossbow several years due to an injury and ended up shooting mechanicals cause fixed blade didn't shoot well. Crossbows have their place, don't worry about the haters and go enjoy the great outdoors. Me personally, am glad to be able to shoot/hunt compound again but still take the crossbow out occasionally depending on where I'm hunting.

I realized that I don't actually care about bowhunting, I just do it because it gives us an extra 2 months of hunting here.
This plus easier tags to draw out west is the absolute truth. The whole magical flight of the arrow does nothing for me sorry poppa bear.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back