I had an epiphany and joined the dark side

Make sure you practice with your broadheads of choice. Crossbows are not tunable like compounds. I hunted with a crossbow several years due to an injury and ended up shooting mechanicals cause fixed blade didn't shoot well. Crossbows have their place, don't worry about the haters and go enjoy the great outdoors. Me personally, am glad to be able to shoot/hunt compound again but still take the crossbow out occasionally depending on where I'm hunting.
Yeah I'm probably going to end up with mechanicals but I have a couple fixed blades on hand I'll try first.

I just got banned from my state forum for simply mentioning that I feel that crossbows shouldn't be allowed in archery season and that the P&Y doesn't even accept entries from crossbow kills. lol

They are a bit sensitive over on that forum and it is run and moderated by a bunch of Nazi hillbilly rebels who still think the war is raging on. LOL

Last edited:
I just got banned from my state forum for simply mentioning that I don't feel that crossbows shouldn't be allowed in archery season and that the P&Y doesn't accept entries from crossbow kills. lol

They are a bit sensitive over on that forum and it is run and moderated by a bunch of Nazi hillbilly rebels who still think the war is raging on. LOL
If NC went back to banning crossbows in archery I would switch back without complaint. But if they're gonna be legal, I'm gonna use them.

If NC went back to banning crossbows in archery I would switch back without complaint. But if they're gonna be legal, I'm gonna use them.
And that is your opinion and legal choice.

I have a Excalibur myself, (due to medical reasons) If that crossbow gets you and the Kids out to hunt more power to you. Some guys will give you a hard time about it but Please remember all Doctor excuses arn't FAKE. Some are the only way one can hunt.
One Size doesn't fit all.

I was trying to think of something snarky to say... but mostly I'm just frustrated by crossbows in general. Archery season as a management tool is meant to work by limiting success rate. Technology and 'inclusion' have completely gutted that original intention. And that's not limited to an attack on crossbows either. Compounds are quickly approaching "easy" to shoot at old school 30-30 with iron sights ranges. Hell there are some states that are trying to legalize pneumatic arrow guns.

Nothing against you, @np307, you're working within the rules and I don't fault you at all! Crossbows are LOUD, btw... deer will duck hard, so aim low. I would recommend a stout broadhead to hold up to the force of the cross bow. VPA 3 blades are severely underrated and overlooked. But I've never been able to destroy one.

I realized that I don't actually care about bowhunting, I just do it because it gives us an extra 2 months of hunting here. So I bought a crossbow. I now expect to fill all my tags in the first 2 weeks of the season. What other gear should I acquire to fully embrace my new dirt bag style?
Same thing happened last year to me. My dad had got a really nice crossbow setup but with how fast/poundage it was at, he realized that it wasn't practical for his ability to draw it back even with the tool that came with it for doing so. He found one that has this crank in the stock for easily pulling it back and bought it. He asked me if I wanted his "old" one which had only been used for 2 months (although it did kill a doe and buck already in that time) and I sort of reluctantly said yes. It was early November and as I sat in the tree stand with this fancy xbow I realized after a couple of sits that nothing really has changed for me from holding my fancy compound bow to this big thing. Its so bulky and awkward holding in the tree stand that as does and small bucks would pass by, I would practice getting setup and ready for a shot and it turned out that it was the same care and effort required to do so. It was then that I realized that my reluctance to use an crossbow was based on the fallacy that it would be easier to hunt with and my realization was that it wasn't all that different.

We can't use crossbows during archery season only during rifle seaso in Montana, I didn't look this year as I don't have one.

Someday I'll get a recurve again go that route. I'll leave it at that, I've derailed enough threads.

To each their own. We love to hunt let's drink whiskey.

We can't use crossbows during archery season only during rifle seaso in Montana, I didn't look this year as I don't have one.

Someday I'll get a recurve again go that route. I'll leave it at that, I've derailed enough threads.

To each their own. We love to hunt let's drink whiskey.
I knew seeth liked whiskey!!

I was trying to think of something snarky to say... but mostly I'm just frustrated by crossbows in general. Archery season as a management tool is meant to work by limiting success rate. Technology and 'inclusion' have completely gutted that original intention. And that's not limited to an attack on crossbows either. Compounds are quickly approaching "easy" to shoot at old school 30-30 with iron sights ranges. Hell there are some states that are trying to legalize pneumatic arrow guns.

Nothing against you, @np307, you're working within the rules and I don't fault you at all! Crossbows are LOUD, btw... deer will duck hard, so aim low. I would recommend a stout broadhead to hold up to the force of the cross bow. VPA 3 blades are severely underrated and overlooked. But I've never been able to destroy one.
Yeah I can understand that frustration. Especially in the West. Here in the NC we get 6 deer tags each year and the season is open September-December (November-December for rifle). Even with crossbows prevalent, there's still plenty of people here who don't bother with the heat and the bugs of archery season. We can track the harvest number live and it is astounding how much the number jumps once rifle season comes in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Djulson
Back