I found my Granddaughter a Howa 6.5 Grendel now what scope?

D4570

She is 12, and shoots a fair amount, but not an avid shooter, or hunter. She does like to shoot P dogs and coyotes.
She has eyes like her uncle, my son, and can see forever.

I'm getting into her gun fairly cheap about $550.

I still need a claw sling, Limbsaver, scope bases and rings, and a scope.

SO what should I do for a scope, she has no idea scope #1 to scope #5, so it will be up to me to get something she can use and keep for a time without upgrading and not break old Papa's wallet.

I have a Burris that I like on my 8mm, the rest of my guns have Redfield or Leopold's. A little more than I want to spend on here first.

At Amazon, I can get a Burris droptine for 160 bucks.

And at Amazon, I can get a Vortex very similar for the same price.

Of those two what would be your choice?

Or similar at the same price point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven’t used either of those but we stuck one of the Sig Whiskey 3’s on a 270 axis and it has done great for that general purpose.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a BIG fan of fixed power scopes for younger/newer shooters. If used is okay, we've had good luck with the Weaver K6 on a rifle for my two boys. If new, I'd be looking hard at a Leupold 6X; either the 36 or the 42 though I recognize they are over your budget.
Of the two you listed, I'd lean hard towards the Burris. But, would also support the recommendations of giving Schmalts a call as well.

I recently got a Vortex 3-9x about that price range. Really like it. How good is it? Send me a note in 30 yrs and ask! I think considering what she enjoys, the scope's your looking at are good to go. Has she shot that rifle yet?

6-5-a.jpg

bsb-mar.jpg

30-rushen-at-145-yards.jpg

YES yes she has.

@D4570 Looks like you have her set up. Nice shots! So what scope did you go with, I can't quite tell from the picture. I do recognize the Howa mini action she is shooting. How does she like it?

@D4570 Looks like you have her set up. Nice shots! So what scope did you go with, I can't quite tell from the picture. I do recognize the Howa mini action she is shooting. How does she like it?
I got an OLD Redfield 4X12 40 one-inch tube from a good buddy, only very slightly used.
She likes it a lot so far.
She has over 100 rounds on it now and I'm quite sure she will fill her tag with a good mule deer this year too.

I got an OLD Redfield 4X12 40 one-inch tube from a good buddy, only very slightly used.
She likes it a lot so far.
She has over 100 rounds on it now and I'm quite sure she will fill her tag with a good mule deer this year too.
If you are still looking for a scope yeah the @schmalts is the route if you are going Leupold. Someone mention Sig, they carry the BuckMaster brand now that Nikon is out of the scope business, they are fairly reasonably priced and may be a good economical alternative.

Good stuff. I just picked up a Grendel as well for the kids and me. :) can't wait to see it deflate a dall.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
runoutdoors
Back