PEAX Equipment

I drew NM lope!! Whooo Hoooo!

schmalts

got tag 1-114 , Now just need to find out where the hell the lopes are in that NE corner of the state. Any of you NM'ers familiar with that big ass area? Tag covers the whole NE corner of the state! Never been out of elk country there so at a loss on where to start besides here.

Is that one of those one ranch only, 2 day tags ?
I passed through N.E. New Mexico on a train last year. Lots of lopes, the biggest ones were always with cows ! I mean right in with them, in the middle of a herd. Easy to spot but very hard to safely shoot.

Acon, it is a 3 day hunt. I am really not sure what the whole deal is until I have time to research out this thing later when i get home. I am new to the NM lope deal and not sure how it all works out but it looks like a lot of private land in that area.

Schmalts,

You will be assigned to a ranch ranging from 100-10,000 acres. Antelope are everywhere. Congrats on the tag.

That is what I thought when I applied, but was not sure since this was not my first choice I forgot what the details were.
Even if they assign me a ranch can I still go on public also??

Yes, you can hunt the lease holdings of that individual ranch. They will give you a detailed map with boundaries. Smallest one that I ever had to hunt on was about 60 acres, the largest would be about two sections, which is 1280 acres. (But many ranches are a lot bigger than that). Just depends on what your ranch assignment is.

I also drew the NM 1-114 tag

Does anybody know if the region is completely private or is there opportunities on public? Also what kind of antelope is average in this unit?

battle6644,

You will generally have the run of the entire ranch in which your tag is located, whether the land is public or private. It will generally be a ranch only or sometimes a multiple ranch tag.

From the proclamation:
Hunters will be given a map to assigned hunters notifying them of their assigned
ranch. Public hunters, when assigned to a ranch, have free, equal
and unrestricted access to the entire ranch including private deeded
and public leased land. Hunters are allowed to scout the ranch up
to two days prior to the start of their hunt.

Good luck to you.

Last year I got assigned a marginal ranch. Still had enough antelope to make a good hunt. We shot two very nice bucks.

Guys would say, "You called the regional game manager, didn't you?"

No I didn't. I thought the ranch assignments would be ramdom, but every assured me they are open to discussion. I am not sure if I believe what those folks were telling me, but it may not hurt to call the regional game manager.

There are whopper bucks in all parts of NM. Hope you get assigned a good ranch. You will get to hunt the area shown on your map, which will be all private and leased property enrolled by that landowner. You cannot hunt other public land if it is not in your assigned area.

Last year, my tag allowed me to request a new ranch after the second day. Not sure how that works, as we were done the first day.

I don't think NM has a bad antelope hunt, if you go down a couple days early and scout. Expect to have a blast.

Congrats on the tag.

You don't really have a choice on this. Your tag will be good for a ranch that you are assigned to. If for some reason the ranch just won't produce a buck, you can call the game warden in that area and he has the ability to reasign you to another you on the second day. The dept will also send you a map of the reanch, but I would get a blm map as well. The land owner will usually show you around his place and tell you if there are any areas that he doesnt want you to shoot around. He might also tell you where a good buck is. Most of the ranchers are pretty cool. I you have any questions I'd be glad to help you out.........wapiti7

Just got my tag in the mail saturday. It looks like I'm gonna be on the Carrizo Ranch in unit 45 anybody heard of that ranch. schmalts do you know your ranch yet??

Got my ranch assignment. The Gallegos ranch. Talked with the ranch owner today and got kind of non-excited. He said the animals are in the worst shape he ever seen due to a drought and things are just greening up a little now from recent rains. I asked him if he saw any bucks in the 80" range and he laughed and said on good years he rarely sees them. Now this guy is an outfitter himself for what it's worth.
I checked out his outfitting service web site and the lopes he had pictured were nothing impressive so I guess he is telling the truth.
He said it will be a crazy, with 22 other hunters on the ranch and he only allows driving on the county road. Than means about 10 miles of road, 22 hunters, that sounds kind of lame. He suggested getting someplace and just wait until someone pushes one to me. I am hoping to get a map that would show water sources a couple miles off the road but if it is all man made stuff I doubt it will show it. Looking more forward to sitting in a blind in MT if I draw to tell you the truth. My fingers are crossed!

just a guess, but he makes the non paying state hunters stick to the county road and lets his outfitted tag holders go on the 2 track roads.

Hey shmaltsie, don't let the landownder get away with that crap. He has to open up the ranch to you. Call the game & fish. He's just trying to keep state hunters away. They want to profit off these animals, but won't hold up to their end of the bargain when it comes to state hunters.

I am going to call the F&G and ask if and who I should call if I see other landowner permit hunters allowed to go off the county road.

It doesn't matter what he says. Here is part of the agreement they sign :

HUNTER INFORMATION
Both public assigned and private hunters have free, equal and unrestricted access (including
vehicle access) to the entire ranch (private deeded and public leased lands) they are hunting on.
Hunters are also allowed to scout the ranch up to two days prior to the start of their hunt.
For more information on hunting on private and public leased lands see pages 9, 11-12, and
40-41 in the current New Mexico Big Game & Trapper Rules and Information booklet.

These guys sign these agreements, then try to make up their own rules. He cannot keep any hunter assigned to his ranch off of it, whether state hunter or private hunter. Here is the link :

http://http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/recreation/hunting/documents/A-PLUSInformationPoliciesandImportantDates_000.pdf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back