I can't stand it!

I really haven't slept much or packed much. I used to get pretty excited with the packing. I've learned the best way to not forget 1/2 my stuff on the family room floor is to have it all in a "blue bin" now. I have a deer hunting bin, small game bin, turkey bin. Now I just grab the bin and go. Time saver, but gathering all the "stuff" used to be part of my fun.

So today is Orange Friday. If I thought I had the fever yesterday, it is nothing like today's ailment. The best part is the kids. They are just so excited! They are searching "big whitetail bucks" and "whitetail buck" pictures on their phones. They are running around looking for gloves or hats or something desperately needed for tomorrow. One boy got into the Oatmeal Creme Pies early and just about started a nuclear war with his siblings. The dog is even excited but has no idea that we aren't going waterfowl or pheasant hunting and she will have to stay home and drive my wife nuts. My dad called me 6 times yesterday. Anticipation is running high. These are the best of times and I am cherishing every second!

For the nonhunters, this is another Friday. Nothing special about it. They might see an orange hat on a dash of a pickup and realize it is hunting season, but that is all.

I too am excited for MN opener, and grateful to spend another opener in the woods with my dad... Never know when it might be the last. We bow hunt together as well, but there is something extra nostalgic about the tradition of rifle opener. I don't think I'll be tackling any complex issues at work today 😂!

I'm with you MNElk! Heading to the Paul bunyan state forest at lunch!
Where are you heading?

The worst part for me right now is that my 6 year old really wants to come, he really enjoys the hunting shack and the company around it. Last night, I overheard him say to mom, as she asked what they should do this weekend, "Lets go hunting" (just an hour earlier we were watching Fresh Tracks and Meateater).

I can't wait until his patience grows (along with his willingness to walk further!) as he grows older, but I also want to cherish these moments now.

After the deer season, I will try a pheasant hunt with him; we've tried turkeys and archery deer this year; he was good with the turkey blind, sitting in the deerstand gets him antsy though, so that session is short and sweet

So today is Orange Friday. If I thought I had the fever yesterday, it is nothing like today's ailment. The best part is the kids. They are just so excited! They are searching "big whitetail bucks" and "whitetail buck" pictures on their phones. They are running around looking for gloves or hats or something desperately needed for tomorrow. One boy got into the Oatmeal Creme Pies early and just about started a nuclear war with his siblings. The dog is even excited but has no idea that we aren't going waterfowl or pheasant hunting and she will have to stay home and drive my wife nuts. My dad called me 6 times yesterday. Anticipation is running high. These are the best of times and I am cherishing every second!

For the nonhunters, this is another Friday. Nothing special about it. They might see an orange hat on a dash of a pickup and realize it is hunting season, but that is all.

You simply cannot have that. You've committed one of the deer camp sins. The snacks must not be eaten before you get to the stand. Almost as bad as having a mini-van.

I'm with you MNElk! Heading to the Paul bunyan state forest at lunch!
Where are you heading?

The worst part for me right now is that my 6 year old really wants to come, he really enjoys the hunting shack and the company around it. Last night, I overheard him say to mom, as she asked what they should do this weekend, "Lets go hunting" (just an hour earlier we were watching Fresh Tracks and Meateater).
Load the kid. Bring him to camp. Rework how you hunt to have him in the woods. Adjust your hunts around him as long as you have him in the woods. It's worth it I promise. In the last 12 years, I've shot 3 bucks because I've been taking my young kids with me.

Only last 1/2 hour? OK...lets go in and warm our feet and try again. Last an hour this time? That's ok too. They have to learn. Stretch it a bit each time. Make it fun for them. Again, it will be worth it in the long run.

I too am excited for MN opener, and grateful to spend another opener in the woods with my dad... Never know when it might be the last. We bow hunt together as well, but there is something extra nostalgic about the tradition of rifle opener. I don't think I'll be tackling any complex issues at work today 😂!
I'm with ya about gun season. It's just different.

You simply cannot have that. You've committed one of the deer camp sins. The snacks must not be eaten before you get to the stand. Almost as bad as having a mini-van.

Thus the war with his siblings. You would think he would know better. Bad mojo.

I kinda miss those days when the wife had a minivan. Been quite a while now. Can't beat them for a passle of young'uns! Good luck Tom, I hope you get up there before da bucks are shot!

Ran to the grocery store over lunch and saw a family of 5 packed to the gills in a pickup. It had a topper and you couldn't of squeezed a paper clip into that truck with all of the hunting gear they had. As they got out, I could see they were afflicted. They had the fever. Deer huntin'!

Good luck to you too. I don't expect to see much for bucks other than the wee hours of the day. I'll be missing opening morning. The boy has a football game tonight and JV game tomorrow morning. It's about killing me not being at camp already!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back