Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

I Am Lost

IsThisHeaven?

I would like to go elk hunting. I have 1 point in Wyoming. I would prefer a plains hunt or hunt in the foothills (that's what I call them anyway). I would love to do a hunt like I see on TV up in the rugged mountains, but if I am honest with myself, that hunt is not suitable for me. I am in good shape and would get in better shape, so physical conditioning is not a limiting factor. I will most likely be hunting alone. I am not comfortable deep in the mountains on my own.

I would prefer to hunt with a rifle or muzzleloader. As I said I have a point in Wyoming and I have taken mule deer and antelope in Wyoming; I am very familiar with the Wyoming draw system/points system, but I am not sure Wyoming has the hunt I am looking for. I have been going through hunt areas, drawing odds, success rates, etc. I do not wish to buy points for many years and to hold out for a limited draw unit in Wyoming. I am sure there are great hunt options there, I just would prefer to hunt sooner and more regularly. I have looked at the hunt units, pressure, and harvest rates of all of the general units and, as I said, I was not able to find what I was looking for. It is possible that I have missed a good option in Wyoming, but that is what I have found.

I am hoping someone can point me in the directions of what I am looking for. If anyone would be so kind as to point me to a state or couple of states I would really appreciate it. I will do the legwork - researching units, draw odds, biologist contacts, etc. I am just not familiar with the terrain of most elk states. It is most important to me to find areas other than huge mountain ranges. I would also prefer lower pressure, but who wouldn't. I would like to be able to draw every couple of years. I am fine hunting cows, but would obviously prefer an any sex tag. I don't have any type of trophy expectations. I have all the gear to camp out of a tent or a small pop-up camper. I am ok eating my tag. I have done it enough at home to be pretty used to it.

If elk hunting isn't for me based on my limitations then that's what it is.

Matt

I think you will find in Wyoming, the smaller the hills the more points are required when talking elk. The limited draw hunts in the desert areas, even the "foothills" typically require a decade worth of points now, unless you can get private access in a unit with little public and thus better draw odds. The best kept secret for years was 16 type 1 and type 2. Relatively easy hunt, with good bulls, but both those hunts are max if not close to max point draws now and will likely remain so for the the foreseeable future.

The general tag for Wyoming elk would leave you with a lot of options as far as hunting ground, you might look into that for a bull. Cow tags are a little easier to come by, and you can get one in the desert areas, so that is also an option.

Is your heart set on a bull? I think there are a bunch of units that would work for you, if you'd be ok with a cow tag.

Is your heart set on a bull? I think there are a bunch of units that would work for you, if you'd be ok with a cow tag.

Yea I am ok with cow tags. I would like to be able to draw an any sex or antlered only tag in the unit every 3 or 4 years or so. One of the reasons I would like to hunt more regularly is to get to know the area so if was able to get an any sex or antlered only tag I would have experience in the unit.

Colorado is a great option to hunt elk every year. Arizona has options in some of the best units to hunt cow every year or every other year that might not be as strenuous. Plus, with AZ you would have an opportunity to see some huge bulls.

I recommend looking south of yellow Stone park. General units 80-82.
Access isn't horrible, and 2 points should draw a tag for most.
Lots of elk but not trophy area. A bull tag is doable there I think.
Terrain won't be easy but if you can hike a couple miles from a road you should be ok.
A guided hunt in unit 84 would be best for any non-resident hunting alone that wants a decent bull on 2-3 points. The wilderness there is good hunting.

Last edited:
I recommend looking south of yellow Stone park. General units 80-82.
Access isn't horrible, and 2 points should draw a tag for most.
Lots of elk but not trophy area. A bull tag is doable there I think.
Terrain won't be easy but if you can hike a couple miles from a road you should be ok.
A guided hunt in unit 84 would be best for any non-resident hunting alone that wants a decent bull on 2-3 points. The wilderness there is good hunting.

I'm surprised that you would tell the OP to look at 80 & 82, as 80 is almost all wilderness as is 99% of 82 and both would require a licensed outfitter/guide to hunt either of them and that country is unforgiving with tons of wolves and grizzlies to boot!

Last edited:
A guide would be advisable, I believe a person must know their limitations. Out of the ordinary hunts can certainly be not just successful ,but very enjoyable.
Bears and wolves shouldn't always stop someone's willingness to try.
And a little non wilderness is sometimes all it takes.Obviously if one can afford a guide it would open more land and opportunity, and certainly those areas that are wilderness reguire a guide.
Terrain could be worse but, if it were easy it wouldn't be obtainable for less points and even a cow hunt should require some effort to feel deserving.
Not all will see it that way I'm sure.��
I'm aware I'm strangely different and not always right as some others that post here.

Unfortunately using a guide/outfitter is not an option for me. I have a couple of friends I could ask to go along with me, but I don't fully trust their preparation and I am not confident in how they would handle a week in a tent miles from a trailhead in the mountains. If I had another person I was confident in to go with terrain would not be a consideration.

If a guided hunt is the only good option for me I will to have to wait a few years.

If you are willing to alter your weapon criteria to include archery equipment then the Missouri Breaks regions of Montana sound like what you are looking for.

I would say apply for some cow tags in an area that has suitable terrain then build your PP for a bull tag later. Lots of the general and limited quota areas have some more forgiving terrain and cow tags do not require PP and all NR who apply for them are in the same drawing "boat". If you can draw a cow tag, then get to know the area and see if it fits you for a bull hunt. Late season cow hunting is more of a winter range type hunt and while weather can be a factor in getting into the areas the elk are lower generally. You can use your rifle or smoke pole during the firearm season, bow too with hunter orange.

Wyoming has several great elk units for a DIY elk hunt. They will require 3-5 points to draw a bull tag ,but the wait is worth it in my opinion. Lots of money and time to dedicate to an elk hunt anywhere​ in the West. I would rather save money and build points over a few years, put in for a Wyoming LE bull tag in a rifle season, and likely have a quality hunt to remember.
This is how I'm doing it now and it makes it more affordable. Plus gives time to gather good information to choose an area.
Your points will likely choose the area you can draw for you, making the process more simple.
As said here by others, you could easily cow hunt, that's up to you and it's sure great meat for the freezer.
If you are an archery hunter you will have more options but obviously success rate on a good bull is less because of difficulty getting close and learning elk behavior as a new elk hunter.
I want a couple rifle hunts under my belt for elk before I plan a bow hunt.
Just my veiw, but it works for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back