Hybrid

1. yes
2. yes

I have a book with a picture of a 60 pound coyote. Maybe the lady that wrote the book will share her opinion with us.
wink.gif

Doug

If they did,it would almost have to be a coyote male with a female wolf,I think both anatomical and social differences would keep it from happening any other way.I can't say yay or nay for sure, I don't have the experience.Historically they have stayed separate types of the same species for quite some time,it must be genetic ?

I think the 60 pound coyote is a result of good eating.I once saw and shot at a male coyote in heavy woods several years ago that would most likely match Sheri's fairly closely in size.The female I killed several years ago was scrawny compared to the other 4 I've seen in this state,39 pounds.It's not that far a stretch from a 39 pound female to a 60 pound male.While not common,I'm sure there are a few of that size here and in other Eastern states.

By the way,the largest recorded coon killed in this state back in 1880+ weighed 65 pounds,just to put some perspective on what can happen within a given species without interbreeding.

I would guess that they would, both speices will mate with domestic dogs when the hormones are driving them more than their stomachs...
biggrin.gif

1. Yes, it is well documented.
2. No. However in the NE part of the state where they have re-introduced the Mexican Greywolf a few have gone nomadic and wound up alone far from the release area. These are the conditions that have led to hybridization of canis latrans/canis familiaris, canis latrans/ canis lupus, and canis latrans/canis rufus.

Over the years I have taken too many coyotes to count but since I started keeping reccords here are some neet findings.

[1] the average coyote weight is 31lbs

[2] I have shot 2 to 1 female to male

[3] my best days have followed new snow

[4] my % of pup vs. mature yotes is 18%

[5] and the one that suprized me was my % of doubles that result in two kills is 39%

[6] my average shot is 152 yards

Just some stats I thought you all may find interesting, Back to the topic.

Yes I do think that its possible. the biggest coyote I ever shot was in the very north edge of Idaho not far from the canadian border, his weight was 66lbs.

so in answer to your seccond question, yes

sly

I am a little curious about this. This past year I saw tracks that were just huge. These tracks were close to the size that my lab makes. This year I will be carring a disposible camera with me to the field.

oh boy... just my thoughts

being bred to wolves... No I don't think it has happened only because I don't think the wolves are in our area but if we did have wolf sightings then I would rethink my decision

being bred to domestic dogs... yes

My thoughts on why they are so big here around the farm and believe me Doug, we have at least two that are bigger than my 60lb, is that there are less coyotes with more area coverage and food supply for them to eat a healthier diet which would enable them to grow bigger.

Crow Woman

I think they can interbreed and probably do to a small extent. Isn't the prevailing hypothesis that the Red Wolf is a hybrid between the coyote and wolf?

I have never heard anything about the cross breeding of wolves/coyotes...but I have proof, compliments of Bill Jordan, that a whitetail buck pissed on a clutch of eggs in a turkey nest...

Cnv0053.jpg

Crow Woman,
Have you noticed that there are less of the giant sized coyotes than there were 10 years ago? We had a few of the jumbos running around here back a few years ago when they first migrated in from the North. Now the average coyote here is similiar in size to coyotes in any other deep snow area. I think many of the jumbos that came from the North were the wolf hybrids migrating down from Canada. Thats my story and I'm sure sure not a scientist by any stretch of the imagination. And Flipper....I expected more from you...like maybe a naked horney turkey...
biggrin.gif

Doug

Here Doug, they just keep on getting bigger. But I've read several things where they say that they are of wolf bred. It could be correct. There has been lots out there to say so. But my darn common sense kicks in here
fight.gif
ouch... and says nope, it's the abundance of food and less coyotes per territory.

Now, I don't have all the details yet. But our old vet just left the practice for a job at Cornell Univeristy/Animal Research Hospital. Word has it that someone has recently brought in a 107lb coyote from New York State. They have found NO wolf hybrid in it what so ever. That is what the study has been about to see if they can trace wolf in the coyote. You can take this for what it's worth. Just thought I would give you a little something to chew on. Now keep in mind that this hospital is well known for animals research and healing... but... I would not send my worst cow there. They usually check in but they very rarely check back out
wink.gif

Crow Woman

107 pounds ???

Dang,that is one hell of a coyote,if it's a true story,it is good news...the bigger the better!

Crow Woman...tell me again....how close to Three Mile Island do you live?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
I bet you grow the biggest pumpkin at the fair every year too.
wink.gif

Doug

Actually smarty pants... We do grow nice pumpkins here for my stand. We had 15 pumpkins last year that weighed in between 60-80 lbs
tongue.gif
My secret is, I take the milk that gets cleaned out of the pipelines after milking and the milk that is treated and not allowed in the bulk tank and as the pumpkins get at least three leafs, I start to give each plant a little milk every other day for about two weeks. That is my secret fertilizer. And every day I water the heck out of them.
wink.gif

All kidding aside now, I've told people for years about this coyote that put my 60lb coyote to shame. Alot of people have gotten a quick glimpse of him but no one has ever had a chance to get a clear shot. I will say here and now that if I ever am fortunate enough to get him and he breaks the state record, you can rest assured that I will take off hunting coyotes for a long time. That is my all time goal and dream. Kind of like my non-typical buck last season. That will be a gift that can be treasured for a lifetime
wink.gif

oh BTW... I'm three hours from three mile island
biggrin.gif

oh and when he barks... it's better than sex
drool.gif
His deep rustic voice... you just know it's him. Your heart gets to racing, your adrenaline flows, your eye twitches, you start to breath heavy...

drool.gif

Now I know you're telling one,ain't nothing on this earth better than sex!!

Back