Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Hurricane Ida

Western Louisiana got it last year so I guess it was our turn this year. By the time Ida reached us it was a Cat 2 and there was at least 1 tornado by the house that we know of. We were just on the east side of the eye and she took her sweet time passing. It was a long sleepless night for everyone with the worst of it being between 10PM-2AM. About 9PM I was on the porch watching the silhouette of tree tops whip back and forth. I was really concerned that some by my neighbor's house would fall on them, and I wanted to be outside just in case. A big wind gust came and I saw the corner of the tin roof lift up. My immediate thought was to grab a drill and screws and tack it down better. When I pressed up from the bottom of the tin it was all intact. About that time my wife came out and gasped about my truck which now had a different section of the porch on top of it. Then I noticed the part of the porch I saw lift up now had a trash can lid underneath the 8by8 and the post was angled. The gust had completely lifted the porch, and dropped it down. One section held and one section collapsed. I reset the post with a mall and hoped for the best the rest of the night inside the house. Thankful the whole thing didn't fall with me under it.

Monday morning my brother and I made a round to check on some of the neighbors. The smaller parish roads were so bad walking that it was easier to go through pastures than in and around trees. Spent the day clearing roads to open homes that were basically trapped. Since then it has been a lot of tree work, fence work, and some roof work. The amount of downed timber is insane. Sadly it resembles of a lot of that state that was it with Laura last year. The woods by the house where I regularly run my squirrel dog for training had a tornado go through in addition to the storm. I told the guy who owns it that Sweetie won't live long enough too see those woods in a huntable condition.

We're nowhere near as bad off as people down south. Many simple have nothing left and will have to move on or completed start over. As for my family and I we are fine. We have running water and I have a small generator to run freezers, which makes life easy. Electric company estimates another 2-3 weeks before we have power and I know those guys are working hard. I try my best to make sure Ashley and I look forward to supper each day. Aside from being on call for work starting this week I've enjoyed disconnecting from my phone for the last week, but had to take a few photos of some of the supper highlights. We've had burgers, tacos, bear roast, pig shoulder, storm prepped frozen chilli, and I even made a cake for my buddy's wife bday last night. When the sun starts to go down and things cool off a bit life is good.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Correction: Now estimating 4-6 weeks before power.
Time will tell. We'll keep living either way.

The only thing I will complain about because of this storm is hunting season. Until we have power the freezers depend on generator. I don't want to be gone from the house or try to put more meat in them and worry about it getting a good freeze. Which means I have had to and will continue to have to delay getting a head start on early season pig hunting. That's where I was planning to stock up on most of my meat for the year. With work and effects from the storm, my Arkansas bear trip won't be happening regardless of electric situation. And with how the woods are destroyed, it'll change where I can run my squirrel dog for years to come.

Last edited:
Back