Caribou Gear

Hunttalkers I need your help :)

Wyodeerhunter

Banned
Hey all,
Im going on a backpacking trip in a couple weeks and have found a new backbacking stove online but I ran into a little snag. I can't find fuel for it. Its a coleman stove and it takes the coleman powermax fuel system. I live in a small town with minimal (at best) places to find camping supplies. Online seems to be my only choice right now. So i was wondering if any of you hunttalkers know of a place online I could buy a few from. ThankS!!!! Below is a pic of the stove and the fuel source. Also below pic is a link to the pic, i can't belive that website doesn't sell the fuel...

85216.jpg

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=8051952&memberId=12500226

Thanks,
Ernesto

I have that same stove and I also have cached a half dozen or so fuel bottles for it. The other stove I have is a MSR Whisperlite.

From what you stated here, I would suggest going an alternative route and purchasing a multi burning stove by MSR, Optimus, etc.

Your small town may not carry special butane bottles, but surely it carries white gas.

PS...without going through a special carrier and paying a hefty charge for Hazmat, you aren't gonna get the bottles shipped to you either. Get a multi fuel burning stove. ;)

That is the advise I was going to give, the best stuff in the world isn't any good if you don't have what it takes to run it...

Kind of like buying the best cell phone in the world, still won't work in the Big Hole in Mt... :)

Can't add much more... Its white gas for me. I almost whish I would have gotten the mulit fule stove, but I have never had a problem finding white gas. One thing that sucks azz is you can't take any of them on a plane anymore... You're not even supposed to take the stove!

I've heard that the compressed fule bottles don't work to well when it gets really cold out, kind of like a Bic lighter when its cold...

I love the fact that I have a bottle of white gas on hand if I need to get a big fire started in a hurry too! couple cap fulls on a pile of wood and you got an instant fire, wet or dry!

Bambistew

I hadn't heard about the stove and fuel bottle restrictions; only the lighter and (obviously) the fuel. So you are saying, even if the stove and bottles are purged...you can't bring them? Do you have a link?

Wyodeerhunter.....Probably the closest place for you to get fuel would be the Coleman Factory Outlet store in Loveland, Colorado.....but call before going to assure they have it in stock. Your only online option would be the Coleman website. A case of 10 1/2 ounce bottles (a 12 pack) sells for $56.83 plus $5.95 shipping plus $25.00 hazmat fee. If you are doing serious elevation changes, it might be worth the price for you. Good Luck!

Back