MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Gun Nerds I need your Help - Remington Model 10?

AvidIndoorsman

So my great grandfather gave his "goose gun" to my dad, dad wasn't a hunter and it was stashed in the rafters of our old house. House was purchased by my uncle, 20 years went by it disappeared.

Anyway uncle finally unearthed the shotgun.

Super long barrel, full choke, it's a takedown.

Doesn't have a model number, stamped on the receiver is U 155713, trigger guard says Remington UMC

I'm guessing it's a model 10, but I can't find much... guessing it's a 1916-1918 make?

Am I on the right track?

Thoughts on using it to hunt, steel shot?

Last edited:
Heck yeah exactly what I was looking for!

Kent makes good bismuth shot as well.

Grant, yep. Softer than steel. Should be fine for the old model 10.

Have you tried a 2 3/4“ shell into the chamber? Obviously they didn’t make 3 1/2“ shells 100+ years ago, but I’ve seen some old guns made for 2 1/2” shells. One gun the smith was able to bore the chamber to allow for regular sized shells, one the owner used 2.5 inchers with waxed paper hulls for the nostalgia of it all.

Have you tried a 2 3/4“ shell into the chamber? Obviously they didn’t make 3 1/2“ shells 100+ years ago, but I’ve seen some old guns made for 2 1/2” shells. One gun the smith was able to bore the chamber to allow for regular sized shells, one the owner used 2.5 inchers with waxed paper hulls for the nostalgia of it all.
I have not, firearm is currently with my uncle not me. I believe the barrel is 30 inches, also has a 3 stamped on the bottom of the receiver at the mouth of the ejector, pic 2.

My assumption was “goose gun” and therefore at least 2 and 3/4 🤷‍♂️

Cool, as others have said don't shoot steel through it, if you want to hunt Waterfowl with it bismuth is really expensive so personally I'd just shoot it for lead legal birds. Give it a good cleaning and inspection then take it shooting, those old shotguns are fun just for the nostalgia.

If that was your grandpa's goose hunting gun and you take it out and kill some geese with it, well that would be pretty damn cool. Looking forward to the write up when it happens.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back