Hunting with a suppressor

H

hnt4life

Anyone here hunting with, or planning on hunting with a suppressor in the future? I have been researching suppressors for over a year now, and I am ready to "pull the trigger" on one.

I wish I had started using suppressors years ago, maybe I'd have a little more hearing left. I really like using one at the range and hunting. They seem to be gaining a lot of popularity in the last few years. The ones I have the most experience with are from Thunder Beast, SilencerCo and Griffin. I had a chance to use the Griffin for a few minutes today in fact.

I just spent $3000 on a hearing aid. So I am looking at a suppressor as an investment in my remaining ear. However, they aren't cheap and there is some regulatory hoops I haven't jumped through yet.

I have already set up a trust, which was really easy. The only hoop yet to jump through, is paying the government $200 and waiting for the approval of some ATF office goon to approve my purchase. I am leaning heavily towards a Silencerco Harvester. I already have tinnitus from years of working around aircraft, and other military related "noises", and I would really like to be able to hear my grandkids...I already can't hear my wife!

I just spent $3000 on a hearing aid. So I am looking at a suppressor as an investment in my remaining ear. However, they aren't cheap and there is some regulatory hoops I haven't jumped through yet.

This is why there are ear muffs or ear plugs....I see no reason to spend the cash on suppressors as cool as they are. :)

Last edited:
I have already set up a trust, which was really easy. The only hoop yet to jump through, is paying the government $200 and waiting for the approval of some ATF office goon to approve my purchase. I am leaning heavily towards a Silencerco Harvester. I already have tinnitus from years of working around aircraft, and other military related "noises", and I would really like to be able to hear my grandkids...I already can't hear my wife!
IMO, the Harvester and the Thunder Beast Ultra 7 would be two good choices for hunting.

After hunting and shooting with a suppressor I find it difficult to do without. Of course there are situations (extreme mountain hunt) where a suppressor is a burden and shot volume is minuscule and time to put in ear plugs is ample. Range time and hunts where an extra 9 oz isn't a factor, I won't be without my suppressors!

Most suppressors have a db reduction rating of about 30, which is similar to most ear plugs. I plan on getting a suppressor in the next year or so.

I have carried ear plugs in my pocket for years while hunting. I am rarely granted the chance to use them. Having a suppressor that reduces a gunshot to a hearing "safe" level is a foolproof way of protecting your hearing.

I ordered a Gemtech Halo Titanium in .223 in November... the NFA stamp should arrive in the next 2-4 weeks. I'm excited to use it for predator/varmint hunting.

Silencershop set up the NFA Trust and submitted everything. They have a great system. The NFA Trust is going to be a little more difficult in the near future due to 'ATF 41P', but it is still a good way to go.

I'm looking at buying a Dakota Silencer from Sioux Falls or a Lane Silencer out of Rapid City. A neighbor has a daily local outdoor radio show, and he is going to get both of them and do a true side-by-side comparison of them to see which one does a better job reducing db's and recoil. I'm really looking forward to the results and that will make my decision as to which suppressor I will purchase. Once I have the results of the test I will post them.

Scott

To me, it's sobering to know that even a single rifle shot can hammer your ears. Of course I wear ear protection when at the range, or even mow the lawn. I have some friends who put in ear plugs when hunting, just before they shoot. But fumbling with earplugs seems impractical when hunting dark timber, which is what I tend to do, and shooting time is often very short. Anyone have experience using ear protection in a hunting situation? What do you use?

A suppressor is on my want list for next year's spending. Reduced noise and reduced recoil! I'm in.

My Thunderbeast 30p-1 one of the best gun investments I've made. Good call on getting the trust setup. It's hard to drop the money on one but I think it is well worth it.

I want a couple! For kids, I've found that noise/muzzle blast has a larger affect than they actual recoil. I think it'd be great for teaching my boys to shoot. Likewise, a suppressed 22lr would be F U N to have in the deer stand during archery season. Not thinking the squirrels would like it at all though... :D

Back