Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Hunting with a suppressor

Caseknife said:
There was an article recently about which states had the most firearm owners. They were basing this on BATF data from those owners with tax stamps ie: suppressor owners and automatic firearm owners. The feds have no record of other firearm purchases. That being said, I don't know if I really want the feds to be able to come into my house whenever they feel so inclined because I have a tax stamp. I may be wrong, but that is what is holding me back from getting a suppressor.
This concern is not unfounded. That being said, I would sure like to have one to do my deer depredation work!

This concern is unfounded. Possessing an NFA firearm/tax stamp gives no law enforcement officer any such right, no more than a regular city officer (without a warrant from a judge) could come search your home whenever they'd like because they don't your NRA sticker.

I have multiple NFA firearms and am active in the NFA "community" and this is very common misconception about the tax stamp process. I'd be entirely more worried about ignorant state or local police giving you a hassle about NFA items, and even then only outside your home for obvious reasons. The ATF does not give a dern about you after you pay them their $200. Pretty much at all. You have an extra step in filling out a 5320.20 form when you take other NFA items across state boundaries but suppressors are exempt from this requirement (I send one in only when changing permanent address). Essentially, they take the item's storage address in case on shows up on a crime scene and they can track down who owns it. If you're worried about "the man" knowing where you live, lobby to abolish the NFA, at least for suppressors.

http://www.nfafa.org/

I only hunt with suppressors when rifle hunting. .30 cal QD Yankee Hill Machine Titanium. It sees use on all my hunting, tactical, and precision rifles. The extra length and weight are worth it and then some to me... I hope to hear everything my grandchildren say and do!
buck 2015.jpg

I hunt with a suppressor a lot, you still want to use plugs to further protect your hearing but suppressor is way better then full noise from the shot.

When hunting deer, it always seems that the shot if muffled. I think this is referred to as tachyphobia. However, if its someone else shooting or a case some years back when my son & I shot 2 bucks. His buck had run off and I had anchored mine with a neck shot (all I could see), I knew why the deer was down. My son saw the deer still moving and then shot. That blast was so loud that I thought I had blood coming from my good right ear. My left ear was deafened when I hit the sidewalk and was knocked unconscious at age 7 or so coming home from school.

I live in NYS, so a suppressor is not even an option. For most whitetail hunting, its rather close up and opportunities are fleeting at best most of the time; thus eliminating muffs or plugs. I also have hearing aids, but don't hunt with them as the feedback from a hat or wind would spook game and drive me nuts.

I have seen a TV show and one of the "mountain men" (or whatever he is) uses one. They definitely look ungainly and spoil the looks of a good rifle. In terms of use, I have never seen or held one or a rifle with one on it and obviously haven't shot a gun with one on....

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back