Hunting wilderness areas in Wyoming

hunterdoug

How hard is it for a resident to get a guide
License to take nonresident hunters into wilderness areas ?

That’s good, I have a cousin that lives there so he could take us into the wilderness area if we would get drawn for a unit that has wilderness

Having gone with residents before, I always wondered how persnickety a GW would be if you and your Resident were separated while out hunting. Does anyone have first hand experience with that?

Well i don’t have experience in that situation, but if I remember correctly, a guy from one of the hunting magazines said as long as the Resident was in camp with us, we should be fine. But it might depend on which GW you run across

I know that this has been beaten to death, but every time this stupid law comes up it really pisses me off. It has got to be one of the most blatantly insulting laws out there.
Back in my late teens and early twenties, I did tons of backpacking and back country fly fishing throughout Wyoming wilderness areas, the Bridger, in the Winds, being one of my favorites. That was with no GPS, no InReach and certainly no cell phone! Somehow, I survived without a resident baby sitter tagging along.

I know that this has been beaten to death, but every time this stupid law comes up it really pisses me off. It has got to be one of the most blatantly insulting laws out there.
Back in my late teens and early twenties, I did tons of backpacking and back country fly fishing throughout Wyoming wilderness areas, the Bridger, in the Winds, being one of my favorites. That was with no GPS, no InReach and certainly no cell phone! Somehow, I survived without a resident baby sitter tagging along.

I think it has less to do with the state's perception of your backcountry competency and more to do with the influence of WY Outfitters and Guides Association.

One year I even ran into a couple of seasonal USFS techs checking food storage compliance in a wilderness area during the fall.

Has anyone ever ran into a GW while in a wilderness area?
Yep, nice guy checked me about 10 miles in once. Got me on bottom of my cache was 14-15' from ground, needed to be 20'. He had a tape, I did not. Let me off with a warning as it was 150+ yards from camp and camp was spotless.

I talked to a guy who got written for an elk 10-13 miles back in some incredible country in Sheep #5. He told me where he got written and I couldnt believe it, having accidentally wandered through that part of the world myself and knowing how hard it is to get oneself there let alone an elk out. He told me I was elbow deep in this bull, how in the hell do you hide? Good question... unluckiest bastard ever if you ask me.

I just want to know if you can hike THROUGH it but hunt OUT of it and not get written up, gotta call on this one of these days as i hope to do it this september. I do not expect the call to end with a satisfactory answer from my perspective.

I once camped with two other nonresidents and a resident guide in a wilderness area to hunt elk. One of us nonresidents did not have a resident guide because the resident is limited to taking only two nonresidents a year. The nonresident without a resident guide had to travel outside the wilderness to hunt and kill a bull while the rest of us could hunt anywhere. There was some great country outside the wilderness that was literally farther from the trailhead than our wilderness camp. We had to ride through the wilderness to get to the remote non-wilderness country where my friend could legally hunt. Pretty crazy and senseless that we were camped 12 miles in but had to go in even deeper before the one without a guide could hunt.

We all killed big bulls and had no issues. We even hung the meat from all of the bulls near our wilderness camp. We cleared all of this ahead of time with the local game warden. I suppose it depends on which warden you talk to though.

I once camped with two other nonresidents and a resident guide in a wilderness area to hunt elk. One of us nonresidents did not have a resident guide because the resident is limited to taking only two nonresidents a year. The nonresident without a resident guide had to travel outside the wilderness to hunt and kill a bull while the rest of us could hunt anywhere. There was some great country outside the wilderness that was literally farther from the trailhead than our wilderness camp. We had to ride through the wilderness to get to the remote non-wilderness country where my friend could legally hunt. Pretty crazy and senseless that we were camped 12 miles in but had to go in even deeper before the one without a guide could hunt.

We all killed big bulls and had no issues. We even hung the meat from all of the bulls near our wilderness camp. We cleared all of this ahead of time with the local game warden. I suppose it depends on which warden you talk to though.
By the way our resident guide was a young friend from California that had recently moved to WY while the rest of us had many years of experience hunting wilderness all over the west.

Yep, nice guy checked me about 10 miles in once. Got me on bottom of my cache was 14-15' from ground, needed to be 20'. He had a tape, I did not. Let me off with a warning as it was 150+ yards from camp and camp was spotless.
Would you explain what you’re referring to?

Has anyone ever ran into a GW while in a wilderness area?

I was checked in Wilderness and my friend who was my resident guide was with me and they checked both of our licenses and his resident guide license.

We were on foot, the warden was riding a mule and had a pretty obnoxious dog with him. I was amazed that the dog didn't get stomped by the mule, it attempted to several times while we were talking.

Pretty pathetic. I can hike all over the wilderness, go backpacking, but if I want to hunt, I need a guide... Just another one of those government things that don't make sense... Maybe it'll change in the next few years to try and get a grip on cwd. But who knows

Back