Hunting wilderness areas in Wyoming

How hard is it for a resident to get a guide
License to take nonresident hunters into wilderness areas ?

Not hard. I know someone who got one and he knows about hunting and knows his bears and an expert on maps and navigation. He tried to get me to get one but I am 64 in May and way out of shape to guide youngsters around. I could not keep up with most of you all. I hunted solo for so many years because I like the stalk, strategy and watch method rather than a ton of uphill running. Anyways, if someone is an experienced back country hunter, they can get a resident guide permit in fairly short order.

Would you explain what you’re referring to?
Grizz area food storage had to be 20 ft from ground and 5' from any horizontal support. Have you ever tried to accomplish this with a moose by yourself? Never had an encounter with a WY warden that was anything but fair and professional, polar opposite of here in CO.

I believe it’s onlu 135 dollar fine. Just saying...
Yes but the GW we know quite well told me he would be looking at every aspect of your hunt and it could lead to other violations with loss of hunting privileges.
Why risk it, plenty of elk outside the wilderness areas.

And the guide has to be in the field with you, not sitting in camp.

Yes but the GW we know quite well told me he would be looking at every aspect of your hunt and it could lead to other violations with loss of hunting privileges.
Why risk it, plenty of elk outside the wilderness areas.

Leave it to a member of law enforcement to make additional threats. I’m not buying it. I know two Wyoming game wardens really well. I know neither of them give two shits about that law. To be fair one of them patrols an area with no wilderness. The other patrols near where snowy’s base of operation.

Hunting in a wilderness area as a non ressy doesn’t make you a bad guy or a poacher.

I agree with you, there’s plenty of places outside wilderness to hunt. A lot of the designated wilderness is void of elk and deer anyhow by the time hunting season rolls around.

There I said it. I’m not a perfect person. Sorry internet purists!

Not true...and if you think that statement is, then ask the warden you know to cite the regulation or statute they write for it.

The regulation simply says, must be accompanied by...not glued or tethered to.

Even outfitters leave their clients to hunt on their own in WA's...seen it.

One resident can take two nonresidents right?

Two people is what a resident guide can take into a wilderness area. They have to be with the hunters throughout the hunt based on what I was told when I inquired about taking my Texas friend into a wilderness area. Safety wise, if I were to do it, personally, I would not take more than two people as a resident guide anyway. I finally found the law on it, and the below is a cut and paste directly from Wyoming G&F Website:

A resident guide license may be obtained from the WGFD by any resident possessing a valid big or trophy game license. A resident guide may only take up to two (2) nonresidents in a wilderness area per year, provided they do not accept any gratuity or compensation.

Last edited:
I have a cousin that I think will take us, but it looks like mdunc8 needs a guide for deer....

Having gone with residents before, I always wondered how persnickety a GW would be if you and your Resident were separated while out hunting. Does anyone have first hand experience with that?

My line of thinking is as long as you are in the general area and can maintain communication with each other I am sometimes a thousand yards or more when I do the buddy hunting thing but we maintain communication via cell phones or radios

I have a cousin that I think will take us, but it looks like mdunc8 needs a guide for deer....

Yup. Have had a unit picked out for a while. Finally will have time to hunt it this fall (assuming nothing stupid happens in the draw...). The wilderness looks nice but I’ve got plenty of country to hunt outside it.

Our public ranch really isn’t ours if it’s in a WYO wilderness. Same goes for units that are impossible to draw all over the West. I know I can sit on a rock and do yoga in the wilderness, but that isn’t my pursuit of happiness.

I know that this has been beaten to death, but every time this stupid law comes up it really pisses me off. It has got to be one of the most blatantly insulting laws out there.
Back in my late teens and early twenties, I did tons of backpacking and back country fly fishing throughout Wyoming wilderness areas, the Bridger, in the Winds, being one of my favorites. That was with no GPS, no InReach and certainly no cell phone! Somehow, I survived without a resident baby sitter tagging along.
The crazy thing is you can still do that WITHOUT the resident guide. You just can't big game hunt without one. Tells you all you need to know about this stupid law.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back