Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Hunting Trips IN The Land Of The Dragon....

MTGunner

Just a short excerpt from one chapter that struck a chord with me. This is from a hunt in Mongolia circa 1900-1920 by Lawrence Dundas.

“On the way home I was filled with bitter reflections. Why did civilized people spend hundreds of hard earned dollars, go through infinite trouble, and suffer unspeakable discomforts and physical exhaustion just got the sake of killing a few harmless wild creatures? There is a world of interest in the reply. “

In my mind it is and shall be about the hunt, the adventure, the blood sweat and some tears that goes into that hunt for the sometimes unattainable. The big game animal that we put high on our wish list.
Now, as my age accumulates, much too rapidly, I ask myself. Do I still have the desire, the strength, the will power to expend enough energy to do just one more exhausting hunt? I am nearing the 3/4 century soon. My desire has not wained. To those that still are eager to hunt the sometimes unattainable I say reflect on your desire to seek adventure. Just my thoughts. MTG

At one time or another, throughout hunting history, there has been a part of civilized society that questions the act of killing an animal. The farther from the source of the meat to the table, many don't get the reason or desire to hunt. I came by it naturally and although I have killed many animals of all persuasion, I get no joy from wanton waste or simple bloodletting.

I have shot thousands of varmints and continue to do so, which may be considered a waste, but I have always done it as a management tool. I used to shoot rockchucks, but gave it up years ago as I couldn't see any harm in a rockchuck living somewhere in the wilds of the mountains. Birds, other than game birds are off limits as well.

When It comes to hunting, I do it primarily because I like to hunt, eating the animal afterwards is just a bonus that has always played an important part of a healthy diet. I don't hike into the back country anymore, but I still get out as far and as often as I can, at 67 I haven't found out yet what is enough...

At one time or another, throughout hunting history, there has been a part of civilized society that questions the act of killing an animal.

I think this only became true as humans became "comfortable" with our food source. Beggars can't be choosers. I am sure this sentiment grew when some humans separated themselves from food sources and started relying on others to feed them. Being against hunting is a luxury most people couldn't afford two centuries ago.

Back