Hunting Spot Rock and Hard place.

2rocky

So there is a hunting zone for mule deer that requires a lot of points my friend drew. I have a boss who is really quite familiar with the zone, and he gave us some pointers for places to scout. We scouted his recommendations and didn't see much. So my buddy hired a guide who put him on some bucks, and he ended up killing one. I was not along on the hunt, and my boss doesn't know my buddy.

Now my boss is asking me where my buddy was hunting....

My response? "I asked my buddy and he said he paid for that information. So I don't know."

Now my boss is acting all butthurt. says "that's chicken sh*t. Not like I'm gonna go hunt that for another 15 years".

But I know some people have big mouths and I'm not going to take that chance. Besides I'm going to draw it this next year.

But I don't like the way my boss felt he could pump me for information and feel entitled to it.

I mean....you could always tell your boss that your buddy hunted in some random other spot until after your hunt 🙂
Which may be the kind of stuff that the boss handed out in the first place. Yup, Rock and a Hard Place.

The guide gave his best. Give him respect, he'll need those spots to give others the same experience. Easy to understand.
If I was the guide and concerned about that I would have explicitly asked that the client deferred from telling friends where he was exactly. In lieu of such an explicit request, I could go either way.

I’d just tell the boss straight up that it wasn’t a spot he shared and that my buddy doesn’t want me to say, and that I understand how he could feel if that was chicken dookie but it was my buddies kill and my buddies call.

Kind of a tough one, not knowing the back story or either of the people. Are you insinuating your boss has a big mouth and will tell a bunch of people where you buddy shot it? If so tell him he shot in one of your bosses spots.

Why did you friend need a guide? The info your boss gave could well have been very good information, but the lack of experience of your friend may have proved that he didn't' know what what do do with it. Worst case you know where not to hunt. That can almost be as valuable.

I can see this going both ways depending on the people.

You being caught in the middle is a little different. I would think your boss would let it go, but at the same time he may have given some closely guarded secret spot, or he could be one of those type that thinks they know a lot more than they do. People are weird about information... Good luck with that.

You scouted the spots your boss told you about and you didn’t see much.

This is probably because the spots he gave you were all second and third tier spots and he kept the primo locations to himself.

Lot of different ways to look at this, but a guides locations are going to be primo spots. So while it was a kind gesture of your boss to help, I wouldn’t feel super obligated to tell him about the guides spots.

I can see the boss’s point of view as well tho. I’d probably just lie my ass off and say “man idk where my buddy got his deer, he wouldn’t even tell me”

If I was the guide and concerned about that I would have explicitly asked that the client deferred from telling friends where he was exactly. In lieu of such an explicit request, I could go either way.
Which i definitely think is the case.

Back