Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Hunting Spot Rock and Hard place.

Personally if someone gives me spots to check out I will almost always give them reports of what I saw, and expect the same if I give out info.

If I find spots on my own I dole out the info the way I see fit.

If it's someone else's spot, I don't share anything without their permission.

I don't think you need to share anything given your situation.

If there weren't an outfitter involved, I'd find it easier to see your boss's point of view. No one should expect to get reports on where an outfitter took someone on public land. That said, this is a situation where I'd be tempted to give a very general geographic description, so as to split the difference; "oh, they were on the south side of the Snowy range" or "up in the Big Pine wilderness area." I do that alot here to avoid awkward conversations. I'll just name the wilderness area where I was hunting. That narrows it down to about 50,000 acres, with a dozen easy access points from various directions, but also answers their question.

Sounds like you need to speed up the job search :D

In this case I don't think I would share much, it sounds like the bosses expectations are a skewed. I do know a few guys that are happy to share public land spots and expect some info in return, but they also aren't guys that consistently kill critters. I am relatively new to hunting out west and I had hunted private land in the midwest before and I have been finding all of my own spots. I know a couple guys that are also new to the same general areas I am hunting and I have shared some fairly detailed info and got some back. Overall I think I ended up sharing better info than I have received. But I would probably still give up some places I consistently find elk for a good mountain whitetail spot or two.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back