Hunting Rigs

One of my trucks is a 86 K10 I bought from previous owner who had parked for a long time, but compression was good. I took it down to the frame and rebuilt, new fuel and brake system, new suspension, tires, new interior, and painted it in my barn. The 350 small block I rebuilt the top end as it ran right good, transmission and transfer case I just replaced seals. All new ball joints and u-joints. These old trucks are really simple and still used alot here in NC. Round trips hunting here are less than 100 miles any time so gas mileage is not a concern but I just enjoy these style trucks as it was the first truck kind I ever drove. With a lift and 35 inch tires getting a buck in the bed ain't easy but I usually can get some help around the farms. Couple guys in turkey talk wanted to see another pic.View attachment 218811View attachment 218812
Square bodies are my all time favorite trucks. Great job with this one!

Thanks for the comments guys. I have since put a dash pad in it that one was cracked up quite a bit. Got a K20 planning to fix up and flat bed that one down the road.

One of my trucks is a 86 K10 I bought from previous owner who had parked for a long time, but compression was good. I took it down to the frame and rebuilt, new fuel and brake system, new suspension, tires, new interior, and painted it in my barn. The 350 small block I rebuilt the top end as it ran right good, transmission and transfer case I just replaced seals. All new ball joints and u-joints. These old trucks are really simple and still used alot here in NC. Round trips hunting here are less than 100 miles any time so gas mileage is not a concern but I just enjoy these style trucks as it was the first truck kind I ever drove. With a lift and 35 inch tires getting a buck in the bed ain't easy but I usually can get some help around the farms. Couple guys in turkey talk wanted to see another pic.View attachment 218811View attachment 218812
Looks perfect. Only upgrade I’d suggest is a cup holder for that road soda. ;)

One of mine. Wished I had a good action pic. But a 72 Chevy blazer with 8” lift. EFI 350, 4 speed, 4.56 gears, lockers front and rear, winch, front rear bumpers, upgraded heater, full cage 36” swappers, A work in progress…

Then I have an 85 CJ I bought in high school in 1994. It has 5” of lift, lockers front rear, 4.10 gears, a ford 1 ton trany Front rear bumpers, winch, and more…

My son just scored the Willys wagon. He bought it and we are getting ready to build it. A 1963 wagon on a Chevy blazer frame. It will be built with lockers, gears, a Chevy 350 with EFI, lift kit and more..

Attachments

• 7F0D66FB-9A4E-4659-82A6-5D5F3E085D2B.jpeg
    7F0D66FB-9A4E-4659-82A6-5D5F3E085D2B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
  • 4BE0579F-B62C-449B-B9D9-12DA774B67F6.jpeg
    4BE0579F-B62C-449B-B9D9-12DA774B67F6.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
  • 4FE63E34-1CEF-401D-900C-2EF44F8357A0.jpeg
    4FE63E34-1CEF-401D-900C-2EF44F8357A0.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
  • 7E93D6ED-1B54-47E0-A6DF-68D0F820882C.jpeg
    7E93D6ED-1B54-47E0-A6DF-68D0F820882C.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 31
  • 7A7014EA-7BD7-47E7-8D76-6CAC20E03E82.jpeg
    7A7014EA-7BD7-47E7-8D76-6CAC20E03E82.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 32
  • EF078E47-9D67-4EB9-8CB3-A0F08D88AD4C.jpeg
    EF078E47-9D67-4EB9-8CB3-A0F08D88AD4C.jpeg
    122.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
One of mine. Wished I had a good action pic. But a 72 Chevy blazer with 8” lift. EFI 350, 4 speed, 4.56 gears, lockers front and rear, winch, front rear bumpers, upgraded heater, full cage 36” swappers, A work in progress…

Then I have an 85 CJ I bought in high school in 1994. It has 5” of lift, lockers front rear, 4.10 gears, a ford 1 ton trany Front rear bumpers, winch, and more…

My son just scored the Willys wagon. He bought it and we are getting ready to build it. A 1963 wagon on a Chevy blazer frame. It will be built with lockers, gears, a Chevy 350 with EFI, lift kit and more..
I had a 77 CJ-7 that I drove as a teenager. had a 305 with 4 barrel carb. Sat on 35inch Ko2 that were rotted out mostly. 4wd was always on, shifter was broke. No power steering or brakes and would randomly send serpentine belts to Valhalla, always carried a few spares. Would only start if the motor was cold, If the motor was warm that damn thing would flood itself out.

Dad sold it cause it was getting a grand total of 5 mpg. Then he put me in a barbie teal color 95 ford explorer that was only rwd lol. Guess he got sick of me driving around in the fields doing donuts and flipping the jeep over. Little did he know that didnt stop me at all, just got stuck a lot more.

That jeep is still driving around and I have been trying to buy it for years. Was a glorious deathtrap.

I had a 77 CJ-7 that I drove as a teenager. had a 305 with 4 barrel carb. Sat on 35inch Ko2 that were rotted out mostly. 4wd was always on, shifter was broke. No power steering or brakes and would randomly send serpentine belts to Valhalla, always carried a few spares. Would only start if the motor was cold, If the motor was warm that damn thing would flood itself out.

Dad sold it cause it was getting a grand total of 5 mpg. Then he put me in a barbie teal color 95 ford explorer that was only rwd lol. Guess he got sick of me driving around in the fields doing donuts and flipping the jeep over. Little did he know that didnt stop me at all, just got stuck a lot more.

That jeep is still driving around and I have been trying to buy it for years. Was a glorious deathtrap.
There is just something awesome about a jeep and being a high schooler. I never rolled mine, close a few times. My Junior year I was hunting archery with my buddy. We had the doors off because spot and stalk deer from the jeep was a method we used. We were on a high mountain 2 track that was beat to crap. We had a mud hole we had to cross... It was nasty cow pee black soupy mud etc. I got in it and bogged down, gave it the juice and got traction shot out like a bullet sideway, hit a log and ejected my buddy out the door and into the mud. Even with the doors off and the fresh air I was gagging taking him back to camp.

I am working on mine right now. Belt issues and some wiring issues. I really want to do the body and paint.

There is just something awesome about a jeep and being a high schooler. I never rolled mine, close a few times. My Junior year I was hunting archery with my buddy. We had the doors off because spot and stalk deer from the jeep was a method we used. We were on a high mountain 2 track that was beat to crap. We had a mud hole we had to cross... It was nasty cow pee black soupy mud etc. I got in it and bogged down, gave it the juice and got traction shot out like a bullet sideway, hit a log and ejected my buddy out the door and into the mud. Even with the doors off and the fresh air I was gagging taking him back to camp.

I am working on mine right now. Belt issues and some wiring issues. I really want to do the body and paint.

Go with a fiberglass tub and start over my friend lol.

Looking back I have so many funny story's about that damn thing.

My now wife asking me how do you shut the doors! Handed her a bungy cord...

Right behind the front driver side tire was a time size hole in the perfect position to have a spray gun sized hole that hosed you with water right to the crotch when driving in the rain.

I once had 7 people in that jeep, there was only two seats.

My source of heat was the duel exhaust coming out the sides under the door. With all the rust holes on the floor it worked shockingly good.

My friends would hear me coming down the road before they would see me. Not because of the loud v8 and duel exhaust.. noo it was all the creaks and groans as the suspension flexed and jolted from all the pot holes in the backroads of Michigan.

back to when I rolled the jeep many.. many times. We would do donuts in the corn field, tip the jeep over, Jump out and tip it back on its wheels, wait 15 mins for the motor to cool off then hope it started back up lol.

I only had one wiper that worked, that was the passenger side so that they could see their impending doom cause the driver had no idea where they were on the road.

I have many fond memory's of that jeep.

Go with a fiberglass tub and start over my friend lol.

Looking back I have so many funny story's about that damn thing.

My now wife asking me how do you shut the doors! Handed her a bungy cord...

Right behind the front driver side tire was a time size hole in the perfect position to have a spray gun sized hole that hosed you with water right to the crotch when driving in the rain.

I once had 7 people in that jeep, there was only two seats.

My source of heat was the duel exhaust coming out the sides under the door. With all the rust holes on the floor it worked shockingly good.

My friends would hear me coming down the road before they would see me. Not because of the loud v8 and duel exhaust.. noo it was all the creaks and groans as the suspension flexed and jolted from all the pot holes in the backroads of Michigan.

back to when I rolled the jeep many.. many times. We would do donuts in the corn field, tip the jeep over, Jump out and tip it back on its wheels, wait 15 mins for the motor to cool off then hope it started back up lol.

I only had one wiper that worked, that was the passenger side so that they could see their impending doom cause the driver had no idea where they were on the road.

I have many fond memory's of that jeep.
HAHA. How did we live?

As for my jeep my body has zero rust, is all original. I have trimmed a small section off the rear the fender. The hood has a dent from a tree branch falling on it as a small crease from the hood blowing open at 60 mph on I-70. Small dents and dings. I am on my second topper. The pain is original etc. In all honest it is in stupid good shape. I have spent about as much time under it as I have in it, lol. I have had myself and 2 brothers and 3 elk stacked in my jeep once...

Great Jeep stories there I can relate to them as I've had a CJ-5 since I was 15 and still drive it around some now. Hunted and fished in it for years did some 4-wheeling mud bottoms and hills so I did roll it once. KB I too once had 7 girls climb in one night in high school with me and a buddy that was a memory! It was always cold no matter what and hard to start until I changed from points to electronic that really helped, I can't tell you how many times after riding trails the distributor gets wet and I have to get out and dry off to get it running again. Got a strait six with a 3 speed so it wasn't fast but it would really pull in 4wd low. Hauled many a bucks in the back I bet it was crowded as heck with 2 elk.

the unit 12 snowmelt mudfest last fall. despite the picture, just 1000 feet up started transitioning into upwards of 2-3 feet of snow that was rapidly melting in the warmish october weather. i bailed on that unit after failing to reach my starting point due to snow on the roads up high. it's miracle, a high clearance locked diff miracle i didn't get stuck nor slide off the road during this gawdamn waste of time.

IMG-8434.jpg

the unit 12 snowmelt mudfest last fall. despite the picture, just 1000 feet up started transitioning into upwards of 2-3 feet of snow that was rapidly melting in the warmish october weather. i bailed on that unit after failing to reach my starting point due to snow on the roads up high. it's miracle, a high clearance locked diff miracle i didn't get stuck nor slide off the road during this gawdamn waste of time.
is it ever truly a waste of time tho. I mean all of my fondest memories doing stupid stuff was probably in the end a waste of time. But then you get to waste time by telling stories of that waste of time. Sometimes I feel like hunters takes themselves to seriously.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back