Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Hunting Partners

Wyoming556--- To answer your question, maybe it's because I WAS an Investigator for the State of Michigan for 30+ years before retiring in 2022, LOL! That's where the term "Board Cop" was put on me on another website, but I'm not ashamed of my career one bit and it was a lot more challenging than driving a truck all day! All I was trying to do was relate what I know about the residency requirements of Wyoming and the other states that I looked up. Nowhere did I see a state that allows a nonresident to buy a resident license unless they actually have established a residency in the state for minimum amounts of time before applying for a hunting license. Some states had additional requirements, but all of them had that requirement, with Wyoming at one year being the longest time period. All that was intended was to make sure others don't screw up and get caught through a lack of knowledge of license requirements. If I wanted to get anybody busted for what I thought was a violation, I can assure you I would keep my mouth shut out on an open forum like this, do a simple search to find out who they are and where they live, and then forward the information to let the appropriate authorities do an investigation. TLC, by his own admission on another website, only "knows" that MN guy by chatting on a BB with him, just as I was doing with both of them!!! End of story and by the way, the previous post by TLC is also a bunch of BS, other than I did have my pointer along with me and it was okayed by the guy from MN before we ever met and caused no problems on that hunt or the following one I did with another guy and his daughter on a back pack hunt into the Gila Wilderness in NM. That hunt went well with a guy and his daughter that I'd also never met. I will find the disc of that hunt and post a couple pictures of our camp on another post, as we had a wonderful time after that fiasco up in WY!!!

Last edited:
vdo84,
It looks like your post got hijacked by the usual internet B.S.

Lets get back to your topic. My hunting partner likes to joke that packing out an elk is a lot like eating an elephant. You just have to take managable bites. If you stay home because you are unsure about going it alone, you'll miss out on alot of time in some awsome country. On the other hand, you might find somebody on here who wants to do the same trip. It could turn out pretty good, or you could have the trip of a lifetime. Who knows? I always figure that a good sense of humor, and an open mind make most trips good ones. As you can probably see from some of the posts here not everybody would be a great partner for a hunt. Sort thru them carefully, and it will work out for you. Good luck.

Followup

Wyoming556---Here is a picture of the bull my buddy shot with me alongside glassing in Wyoming a week after the fiasco with the MN guy, a bow kill bull I put a friend on in 2009 in WY and he sealed the deal, and a couple of our camp in the Gila Wilderness of NM I mentioned earlier. Nope, I just don't have any idea what I'm doing on a hunt, LOL!!! I apologize for what TLC already admonished me for on another BB and that is for straddling that bull to show it's spread. He doesn't feel it's ethical, but then again, to the best of my knowledge he's never even been on an elk hunt to know how big they are and that you don't just move them around for photos like a whitetail! That big bull was the one good thing that came from the fiasco with the MN guy, as I was able to go back and help my buddy get that bull after I was left high and dry on the other hunt and then found there wasn't a mulie to be seen anywhere near the antelope hunt I went on. I'm sure more BS will be forthcoming and I'm not going to get in a pissing match, but this thread was started in regards to who to hunt or not hunt with, was it not?. Have a Happy Easter!!!

Attachments

• 2010 Trip 087.JPG
    2010 Trip 087.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 487
  • 2010 Trip 334.JPG
    2010 Trip 334.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 488
  • IM003252.jpg
    IM003252.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 492
  • 2010 Trip 325.JPG
    2010 Trip 325.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 488
Last edited:
Sorry, but I forgot I also wanted to post a couple pictures of the nice goat I got in 2009, seeing as the MN genius said I didn't know what I was doing on antelope hunts!.

Attachments

• NDWyoming 2009 026.JPG
    NDWyoming 2009 026.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 482
  • lm 015.JPG
    lm 015.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 484
yes it was. and you are the type not to hunt with. from Randy from minnesota. seems awfully composed for what he went thru....

"Well, I had to cut my hunt very short because I became ill...I did get to meet Topgun and found him quite the character...He loves to talk....
It was unfortunate for him that I got sick...And I felt sorry for his predicament...He got awful mad at me for cutting my hunt short because he told his wife he would not hunt alone....He vowed to never talk to me again....I had scheduled two weeks off and could have hunted possibly that long if need be, but usually we would fill within two or three days anyway and the weather would dictate the condition of the meat and the length of the trip...

I only hunted one day and took nice 13" lope, but he will be good eating.....We saw several nicer ones but the stalks were blown for one reason or another...I had one great opportunity at an easy 368 yard shot and could not believed that I missed...Top eventually convinced me somehow that I did and refused to look for it with me...I looked around a little but eventually succumbed to his negativity.....Well my goal was to kill that 1/4 mile antelope and the 368 yard shot was almost there....A lot of practice told me it was a chip shot and a steady squeeze off the harris bi-pod from a prone position and the tell tale slump in the scope as the rifle jumped said he was mine............................................Why didn't I keep on looking (guess it is a respect for your elders thing).........After two days bed rest back here in MN, I tried the rifle today...dead on when setting the turret to my marks just as I had in WY.......Boy am I mad at myself for feeding the coyotes.....Other than Top not believing my range finder he didn't know about resettable scopes and turrets..The scope on that rifle was a twenty year old Tasco world-class that has always held zero on any rifle I have had it on.....I don't even think he owns a range finder so why in the world should he believe they are accurate to plus or minus 1 yard (He thought the distance was closer to 800 yards).......My main reason for the trip was to hunt mule deer and to pick up a couple antelope for table fare....The mule deer option was nullified because I was under the impression that we would each hunt on our own, not knowing that he made a promise to his wife that he would not hunt alone....My two biggest rules besides safety are stealth and odor control and neither of these was achievable hunting as we did......
I hope we both learned something from the trip.....Never hi-jack someone else's vacation and never let your vacation be hi-jacked by someone you don't really know......
Randy

2nd Post from Randy:

Thanks everybody,
I am feeling much better from the head cold and sore thoat stuff today and returned to work.....Talking out my predicament with the guys made me feel much better.....I still feel bad about leaving Topgun in a bind but sure wish I knew up front about his promise to his wife.....Although I would not have wanted to hurt his feelings, I would have said no because I have enough trouble taking care of myself let alone having to entertain, guide and be responsible for the well being of someone that I barely know.....He had told me of his poor memory and vision problems before but I laughed them off because I sometimes forget and can't see the best myself....Now I can really see the concern of his wife I had to stop him once from entering a down hill slope that was too steep to navigate....Several times he bolted ahead in spite of the fact that I suggested an easier route.....I would end up waiting for him to reach the top after I took the longer routes that weren't quite as steep....

My back is feeling much better now too, I opted not to bring my boning gear on my sit that evening, with light fading a trip back to camp for the cart or boning gear would have left me in the dark so I opted to drag it back to the road where I could pick it up with my truck....I waited a while for Top to show, he was only about 300 yards from me and he said he actually saw it fall when I shot, but when it ran over the hill it was out of site of him and I guess he thought I "missed" again....I thought the two finishing shots would get his attention but apparently not (both in the neck at 200+ missed the bone)(and it was still alive when I got to it, I cut its throat...one tough animal).... So off alone I went, it was only about a half mile across the prairie with only 2 large cuts to cross but it really took a toll on my back....An elderly gentleman from a nearby camp helped me drag it up the last slope to the road.....It was a piece of cake after that....It was stone dark before I got the generator and lights set up for the skinning and boning job.....I felt embarrassed as Top watched me get started (it sure seems awkward to do things like that in the dark and took me quite some time) Top watched for about two minutes and said I didn't need him and went to bed.....several hours later I got my knives cleaned up and carried the carcass, hide and bones down the a hundred yards or so from camp.......By this time the meat had cooled in the chilly wind somewhat so I bagged it up and got it in my freezer.....I was so sore tired and chilled by the time I crawled up in my topper I am sure that is what broke my resistance down and made me real sick....I was stuffed up a couple of nites before when I slept in Top's camper but thought it was probably a combination of the dog smell and musty/sweaty mattresses in his camper.....I slept in my topper after the first night and a half and could breath much better...

As I thought about the 368 yard shot today back at work, the 204 yard shot that I made on the lope that I took home came to mind.....The lope was slightly quartering to me and the boiler room shot seemed like a slam dunk.....Trouble was that the Berger 115 VLD seemed to take a left turn as it entered just in front of the right leg and traveled completely kitty corner through the body (including the guts), catching only one lung, and coming to rest just under the hide of the left rear leg.....To me the angle did not look anything like that.....Last year again with the same bullet a similar shot produced almost the same results that time breaking the rear leg bone.....Both lopes needed to be dispatched with follow up shots......Has anybody had poor results or heard of "internal deflections" with these Berger bullets or is it just me....

All these thoughts and feelings...Even though a year of overtime to pay for the hunt, the months of planning and preparation and the opportunity to hunt mule deer are all but vanished....I learned that my family is so important to me, one of my sons offered to drive me back this week to finish my hunt, My wife also said we should pack up our dog and together.....(I told her no, Top's dog is much more behaved than our pup and the yelling he did at it when he brought it out during the night always woke me up so I am sure the yelling I would do at my dog would wake up the neighboring campers...LOL).....I really don't think bringing a dog to a big game camp is the best idea in the world to begin with.....(especially where there is cactus)....

And besides....My grandson Chase is participating as a 10 year old on a special youth hunt in WI this coming weekend.....I was sure to miss it because of the WY trip and now I will be able to be there (silver lining in every cloud)...Hoping that he gets a chance at his first deer...Wish him luck "

Told you so guys, LOL! The BS just keeps coming now that he found me on this BB and anybody that keeps all that BS stuff like he is putting up is just what I said. Post away there TLC, as you aren't hurting me one friggin bit! I already have ten full weeks scheduled out in WY, AZ, and ND next Fall for elk, deer, and pheasants and will keep having a ball in the outdoors while you're out driving that truck, LOL!!! What an asshole!!!

what did you tell them? that you were done after your first response? yep. that I followed you? yep. problem is, as I told you in the response to your pm, I joined here in 2007. you joined here in 2009. how I am following you? and that is about the time you started getting banned from the other places. interesting.

as far as driving a truck. what's the problem with someone doing a that? do you have a problem with someone making an honest living? especially after running my own construction company for 20 years.

and as far as who is following who, let's post some more facts, shall we? they are in reverse order. removed the isp address. why the different name?

bunnyhunter · Apr 11 2010, 03:00 PM · Report Post Forward
I know how exactly the site works and am surprised you just didn't look at the ISPs and send a PM yourself immediately after I registered or after your wives sent the other other PMs snooping around, LOL! Take care and delete this ISP from the site as I'll still know what's going on and you can figure that one out yourself, but it won't be from ISPs!!!

TLC · Apr 11 2010, 10:34 AM Forward
site counts it for me. love watching people being hypocrites though.

bunnyhunter · Apr 11 2010, 08:30 AM · Report Post Forward
Sounds like you are a very paranoid person with a lot of time on your hands if you are counting how many times people log onto this site! See ya!!!

TLC · Apr 11 2010, 07:25 AM Forward
"but seeing as how there don't appear to be any rabbit hunters on this site I guess I won't be on very often, if at all. Have a good day!"

well topgun, seems like even in pm's you have trouble doing what you say. since you stated you wouldn't be back much, if at all, you have been back no less than 7 times now. and, you were sending out pm's to folks. interesting since there are no rabbit hunters here. especially in indiana. which is funny since you live in allegan michigan. and charter is your isp carrier. nice try with the hotmail address though.

bunnyhunter · Apr 9 2010, 02:18 PM · 9 Report Post Forward
Do what again and I will be gone from where? I don't know whether you sent this to the wrong member or what this is about, but I have no idea what you are talking about. I haven't done anything or said anything to anybody on here or anywhere else to receive a message like this, but seeing as how there don't appear to be any rabbit hunters on this site I guess I won't be on very often, if at all. Have a good day!

couldn't agree more Buzz. but this site is, and has been, one of the best sites to get information from people who live in the states non-residents want to hunt. had one guy even give me road names to the area to hunt when I was supposed to come out and do an antelope hunt in wyoming.

Yep, it's a great site, along with another one that Buzz and I are on pretty much every day with a lot of great guys that pass along a lot of helpful information there too!

I dont mind sharing information, thats not a big deal, I know a lot of places. I generally work in 3-4 states a year and in the last 10 years, I've worked in 8. Since its nearly all field work, I get to see a fair bit of the country-side, a ton of wildlife, and talk with a lot of people. Further, a majority of the work I do is on public lands. I help quite a few people a year with some very good information. I also get a lot of great information from others as well, and I'm thankful for anything that others are willing to share. I believe that sometimes you have to give some information to get some information.

Big difference between sharing information and sharing a hunt...I think most would agree.

Last edited:
So I guess I see some of the bad parts of hunting with others from the past posts. After having watched the show and learning of this site, I was really hoping to find somone that knew hunting and areas that I could go to for a hunt. There is alot more to it than I thought. I am from Maine we hunt alone or we go into the woods together and split up. Its alot different type of hunting here from what I have seen on TV. I am not even sure I would be comfortable shooting 400 yards. We do it for fun but anything over 200 - 250 is a pretty good stretch. I use a Browning .300 Mag with a Leopould 3x9 it shoots great, but what are you hunting with? I just saw a show on hunting Elk in Montana and was hoping to do this this year or next. I need more info on how to get an out of state tag etc?

Race, you don't need to be an expert marksman to come hunting out here. I made my longest shot ever last year and it was only 225 yards. Sure it helps to be able to reach out a little further, but I can't afford to go through boxes of shells all summer to get to the point where I feel comfortable out to 400-500 yards. I'll shoot my bow all day all summer long, but I'm not going to the range more than a handful of times before the seasons starts to shot my rifle. I just don't enjoy shooting that much. I'll probably eventually miss an opportunity or two at an animal because of my limited range, but I'm not too worried about it.

I use a 270 out here. A 300 will be fine too.

Check out the "Resources" link at the top of the webpage. It directs to you the websites of all the western states. Lots of good info on there. As far as Montana, you need to put in for the draw by March 15. There were a few leftover tags this year, but I think they sold out pretty quickly. Not sure what other states you can still put in for. Colorado has plenty of OTC tags if you're looking to go this year.

Hey Top-gun,
I don't want to ruin a good pissing match but I want to say that it a nice goat you shot for unit 27. I’ve hunted it a few times and interestingly enough I was there in 2009 as well. We didn’t see many hunters at all so chances are if you guys were there the first week of the season we prolly crossed paths. Hopefully we weren’t the SOB’s camped in the spot you guys were after!

Colorado would be interesting too I have never hunted out of Maine. I have a buddy I am trying to talk into going. He is a great hunter sold me the .300 and he bought a really nice Lazeroni. He taught me alot about hunting for a trophy buck versus just hunting for food. Scent control learning how to come into your spots from different ways depending on wind etc. I think we are both afraid of a non guided hunt because you can end up out in the middle of nowhere and not see anything. I dont mind getting skunked not finding a trophy animal, but I would like to see some and atleast know I was in the right place. he has been on several hunts in Canada guided ones and loved them. I did manage 2 years ago to score a 229 Lbs 9 point buck. In Maine thats pretty big, its gets you into the states big bucks club. I know the pic may make it look a bit small LOL but keep in mind I am 6'4" tall and 295 Lbs :)

Attachments

• 2009 Buck1.JPG
    2009 Buck1.JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 618
WOWZA, I missed a damn good pissing match! I was down in Cancun for a week when Topgun and TLC were going at it and just happened to read this thread a couple of days ago. Like others have said, I guess it is a good lesson for all of us when trying to find a hunting partner....

Buzz, thanks for your post. Those are some serious issues that you brought up that would definitely require some thinking about. I myself feel like hunting alone is a good way to go for a lot of hunts but my only hangup is being out there by myself if something goes wrong. Do any of you guys take satellite phones if you go by yourself? What is your plan if you are 5 miles deep and you break a leg or if something else serious happens? Those are my biggest concerns about going alone.
What about you solo hunters who shoot an elk a couple miles in? I hope to pull a Wyoming elk tag either next year or the year after and if I go alone, I won't know anybody at all to help me out if I shoot one 3 or 4 miles in. I would think that my best option would be to line up somebody with pack horses that I could hire to help me out. If I was in an area where that wasn't an option though, having to pack out an entire elk would be quite a chore. Though I'm sure guys on here have done it...If anyone has some experience with this, I'll take any advice that you've got.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back