Hunting Partner? DIY Wyoming 2021

Korniel

Hey looking for a hunting partner (or two) from the Midwest (or wherever really) that might want to do a DIY back country Mule deer hunt in Wyoming this year. I'm 31 y.o. from Southern Michigan and have never been out west to hunt. Hunted Whitetail, turkey, small game for 20 years now and want to give the great west a try. My hunting partners now are my dad and uncles, a DIY back country isn't the tree stand hunting they are used to. Thought I had a buddy lined up to make the journey with me but he bailed. Was wanting to make the drive out there, park the truck on the side of the road, and hike in 4ish miles with 50 lbs on my back for 5ish days. I have no preference points so I was going to do a general region tag, looking into regions M,X, or Y. Let me know if you might be interested! or if anyone has any advice. Thanks!

rtraverdavis

My only advice would be that if you decide to hunt Region M, you’d be better off setting up a comfortable base camp and staying mobile. There’s not a lot of places in that area that would necessitate or be great for spending five nights out of a backpack. It’s just not a backcountry region. Hike into a spot, hunt for the day, and if you don’t see anything promising, check out another spot the next day.

Good luck on your hunt and with finding a partner!

WyoDoug

I am just learning the ins and outs of the area I am in or I would offer. I can no longer climb the high ridges you want to do but I can handle the flatter gently rolling hills and that. I am going for flatlander muleys as part of my antelope hunt this year.

WyoDoug

Keep in mind there is a percentage that goes into purely random draw where you *might* draw on zero points in any zone/area in Wyoming.

Addicting

No offense but you may want to edit your post. What I read is I have no points, no experience, no plan, and I want someone to go with me. It’s not a great selling feature, it’s a recipe for a crappy time.

Having a plan before posting is absolutely possible and highly encouraged. I would recommend skipping the backpack idea all together and focus on a area you can draw. E scout it out and bounce ideas off from member who have been there. Then decide if a backpack is necessary. 95% of the areas your going to be able to draw only require a base camp, a reliable vehicle, decent optics, and boots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kfd518