Caribou Gear Tarp

hunting on the Kenai Peninsula

SDHNTR

I just returned from a Kenai river salmon fishing trip. Had an awesome time, caught a ton of salmon, and fell in love with the area. But I would love it even more if there was good hunting to be had for a non resident. I talked to every local I could but no one had the good scoop on the hunting seasons. I did see a couple really nice moose and one caribou riding in the back of trucks so there must be some game around. Any details? Are tags hard to draw for a NR? Is the hunting worthwhile in the area?

I may be wrong...don't have time to look it up...but I think the Kenai is draw permits because it's so close to Anchorage.

Breck, I think you are right, but how hard are they to draw? Are even black bear tags draw? I picked up a reg book and tried reading it, but wow, it's so detailed I got lost. I thought CA's regs were complicated.

Sure if I just wanted to hunt AK, I'd look elsewhere, but the opportunity to combine a family vacay has appeal. Kinda like HI, you know.

I have a buddy outside of Ninilchik. He usually goes to his brothers by Fairbanks for moose. He says they have a bear problem around his home place so moose isn't so good.

Seen some dalls from the Kenai, but I believe it's a very small pop.

Keep in mind. I'm far from an expert.
:D

I may be wrong...don't have time to look it up...but I think the Kenai is draw permits because it's so close to Anchorage.

You are wrong, you should have looked it up...Some areas are draw, but most everything is OTC or registration minus caribou. The restrictions are more so for NR than residents.

Draw statistics are in the special draw suplement which will come out next month some time. The drawing deadline is the 15th of December this year.

Pull up the regs and read cover to cover. Look at page 35, it details how to read the information for each unit. If you plan to hunt as a NR its your responsibility to know the rules and regulations. AK regs are about the easiest I've ever seen to be honest, once you understand how to read them. The state is broken into 26 units... some units are bigger than most states in the L48. Most of the unit bag limits (8 species) are described in 2-4 pages.

You have 3 different permits.
HT (harvest ticket) is OTC to anyone, free for residents, and costs NR $tag fee
Registration is open to anyone, same applies above for cost, but its limited to a harvest quota.
Draw, limited to number of permits given.

If you want to see maps for special draws get on line and look them up.

The only thing I'd look into hunting on the Kenai is black bears. Everything else is an "extreme" DIY type hunt in some of the wettest/brushiest country north of the panhandle, or ATV hunt with 1000 of your closest freinds. :D Lots better places to hunt in AK, but not many better to fish. Can't have both up here.

Thanks Bambi, that helps. Is there a decent black bear population on the peninsula? Any general areas better than others? From what I saw, it looked like spot and stalk would be pretty tough due to how thick things are. That forest is impenetrable! Are most of the bears killed by floating the rivers? Or bait, or?

I understand there are better places for hunting, but the ability to fish and enjoy family pursuits there is quite appealing. Hunting the middle of nowhere is paradise to me, but not so much for the wife and not doable with young kids. Just trying to strike a compromise.

I'd go POW island for black bear and I bet you can catch some fish too ! It's a big island with lots of roads. oh... and sitka deer too.

Penn

There are some Great areas on the Penn... for Blackies. There are even some areas that are open to shoot up to 3 blackies per year. I am a non-res and hunted them successfully last year. I can tell you it is brutal to climb thru the alders after alpine blackies but well worth it! Ill send you a PM...

Back