Hunting in or near grizzly country

bklotthor

I’m considering adding Montana to the list of states I plan to apply for with the thought of hunting with a general tag during the archery season whenever I am able to draw. My only concern is with hunting around grizzlies. Having not spent much time in grizzly country other than in national parks during the summer time I am looking for some general advice or guidance on how to go about elk hunting Montana.

I’ll admit that most of my concerns are just from being unfamiliar with hunting around bears. I’ve searched and read through some past threads on the subject. Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on the topic or has been in a similar situation coming from non bear country in the past. Thanks.

I don’t know how dangerous it is. But i do know my thoughts were occupied with the thought of bears rather than elk as we hiked in the dark in Montana last year. I would guess that the risk is low, but the consequences are high. I also think that if you can get comfortable hunting grizz country you will get away from some pressure because lots of folks have the same concerns.

I don’t know how dangerous it is. But i do know my thoughts were occupied with the thought of bears rather than elk as we hiked in the dark in Montana last year. I would guess that the risk is low, but the consequences are high. I also think that if you can get comfortable hunting grizz country you will get away from some pressure because lots of folks have the same concerns.
Those are the same thoughts I have running through my head.

With Thousands of hunters out there and I’m guessing less than a dozen attacks a year, your probably not in more danger than a driver on wet roads at night. Again, thats off the cuff guessing. It’d be interesting to see some hard stats/data to set folks mind at ease or vice-versa. That all being said though, I’ve yet to go out of my way to apply in griz country.

If you are hunting where there are grizzly bears,,, they will be somewhere in your thoughts. I can't give a hard number on the number of days afield I've spent where they are somewhere in the area, certainly many hundreds of days

I've seen them a handful of times, seen their sign far more than that. Two years ago, one moved the gut pile of an elk my brother killed.

Carry bear spray and keep your best defense deployed at all times. That would be your common sense. They aren't out looking for trouble, but they aren't necessarily afraid of it either.

I suspect, you have a greater chance of getting in a bad auto wreck than getting crossways with a bear.

Last edited:
I’ve hunted grizzly country on and off over the years, but this last season was different. I spent it almost exclusively solo hunting some super nasty country. Early in archery it seemed like I was running into griz sign every day and the elk were very scarce. So maybe I just had more time to think about it than usual but I let it get in my head. I tried to be as aware as possible, carried a bigass revolver and spray, and actually wrote down gameplans of where I thought I would go for my wife. I also caught myself getting too carried away and doing things like not really wanting to do much off trail hiking before daylight and not exploring as much as I typically would have. I’ve never really been someone that’s scared of much anything besides lightning but I don’t mind admitting l have a healthy respect for wild things and wild places.
I guess what I’m trying to say is you ought to prepare as well as you can but you can’t outthink yourself or it will negatively impact your hunt. I had a breaking point one day and realized I was letting thinking too much get in the way of the hunt ,and the enjoyment of it. I’m mostly just rambling since I can’t really express what I’m trying to say, but I think I mean just be smart and go hunting?!

They have signs on the freeway in Montana with the total number of highway fatalities year to date, by the end of January each year it far exceeds the number of grizzly related deaths for the year. None the less, get in the pen with the bull and you'd better be on your toes. A former coworker who was a biologist for 40+ years retired back to the family farm in Wyoming, his son lost most of an elk to a bear last season, had to leave it overnight with nowhere to hang it. He says they see them on a regular basis around Cody area. Probably a little less density in Montana as you move away from the park, but still something to be prepared for. Strange how easy it is to be comfortable jumping in the truck when the reality of danger is so much greater.

I've hunted in grizzly country all of about 3 weeks and managed to walk into a sow with 2 cubs at 18 yards. Bumped them again a little later in the day. Luckily they ran both times.

I'm fine with waiting until daylight to hit the trail. I want to at least see it coming.

I guess what I’m trying to say is you ought to prepare as well as you can but you can’t outthink yourself or it will negatively impact your hunt. I had a breaking point one day and realized I was letting thinking too much get in the way of the hunt ,and the enjoyment of it.
As someone who has lived and hunted in Montana my entire life, I agree with the above. If you can prepare mentally and by being "bear aware", you can hunt in griz country with enjoyment. Having hunted up Gallatin Canyon just north of Yellowstone Park for many years, I stopped hunting there when the density of bears and other hunters increased to the point where enjoyment was adversely effected. However, I never did encounter a grizzly.

My wife and I hike and backpack often in grizzly country, but we are loud and constantly bear aware. The reality is that the bear is even more uncomfortable with your presence than you of the bear's, so once he hears you likely you won't even see him. Those bow hunters quietly sneaking through the forest in the grizzly-dense Gravelly Mountains were either unaware of the potential for a griz encounter or just assumed it wouldn't happen to them.

There are lots of encounters that never get reported, we have friends that hunt grizz country every year and have encounters every year, not fatal but too close for comfort.
You will hear of the fatalities but not the bears destroying camps or scaring the bejesus out of you.
Some area they have no fear and look to humans for easy meals, other areas they just want to keep their distance from humans. How do you know which area you are in?

Last edited:
As someone who has lived and hunted in Montana my entire life, I agree with the above. If you can prepare mentally and by being "bear aware", you can hunt in griz country with enjoyment. Having hunted up Gallatin Canyon just north of Yellowstone Park for many years, I stopped hunting there when the density of bears and other hunters increased to the point where enjoyment was adversely effected. However, I never did encounter a grizzly.

My wife and I hike and backpack often in grizzly country, but we are loud and constantly bear aware. The reality is that the bear is even more uncomfortable with your presence than you of the bear's, so once he hears you likely you won't even see him. Those bow hunters quietly sneaking through the forest in the grizzly-dense Gravelly Mountains were either unaware of the potential for a griz encounter or just assumed it wouldn't happen to them.

Or accepted the risk, and knew it was a possibility. Life is a long series of decisions on risk management. We all accept the risk of fatal car crashes, but get in cars anyways.

I spent probably 60-80 days in grizzly country last year. I knew that the chances of me getting dusted by a bear were not zero, but accepted that risk and went anyways. If you make smart decisions while you're out there, that risk goes down.

In the big picture, I'd rather go out by duking it out with a bear than laying in a hospital bed. That might be different if I had kids.

I agree with the post by Straight Arrow above------ plus the comment made by Randy 11--"or accepted the risk, and knew it was a possibility. Life is a long series of decisions on risk management"

I have been in bear country, literally every day of my life, whether I am in their back yard or them in ours ( as we experience bears ---white, brown, black, in town often )

Be "Bear aware" --- dont cook in your tent, hang food away from camp, carry bear spray, a handgun, dont try to win a pissing contest with them when fishing, if your not hunting something, then making noise also helps,.

Also, dont forget that in the last hundred years there have been just a many fatalities from Black Bears as Brown Bears. I dont know when Grizzlies became dangerous and Black bears not. Bear Aware means, brown, black, white ( well maybe not white in Montana, but black for sure )

Also, hopefully Salmonchaser will see this thread. This man has bear encounters almost daily for several months each year in Alaska.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back