Hunting hearing protection??

wisconsinteacher

I want to buy a pair of ear buds that protect my ears and allow me to hear while turkey hunting and deer hunting. What do you recommend in the $100-300 range?

In that range, probably the walker's silencer ear buds. I've played with them some inside, but never hunted with them. They seemed to work ok. Not sure on what the wind noise would be like with them.

I have the silencers and they are nice but be careful with them, the cheap little string they use just won't hold them if you pull them out and put around your neck. My Dad lost one in Wyoming. Come to think of it a dab of super glue would do the trick. They are nice though.

I have been using them the past few years. I tend to lose them so haven't pulled the trigger on a high dollar pair yet and probably won't because I will break or lose them the first time out.

One thing I forgot to add on this. If you have airpod pro's they work fantastic when they are in noise cancellation mode.

I just take out my hearing aids :ROFLMAO:
I actually leave my hearing aids in. I hear so much better with them. Mine also have a noise cancellation feature that cancels out anything over a certain decibel. Probably not as good as full on hearing protection but definitely much better than nothing.

I've got a set of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09MST2L3B

I've only used them at the range, and they work pretty well. They come with a bunch of different tips, so you'll need to take the time to find the ones that fit your ears the best. A little weird with glasses on, and the wind noise isn't the best. But they let you hear things, and keep my ears working.

I've been in the same boat looking for hearing protection for duck hunting. Something that doesn't let the wind whistle in them and can hear the sound of wings beating. Online reviews vs conversations I've had with folks couldn't make things more confusing.

I've got a set of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09MST2L3B

I've only used them at the range, and they work pretty well. They come with a bunch of different tips, so you'll need to take the time to find the ones that fit your ears the best. A little weird with glasses on, and the wind noise isn't the best. But they let you hear things, and keep my ears working.
I've almost pulled the trigger on these ones a few times. How bad is the wind noise? Glad to hear you can hear things pretty well. If I recall they have a 30 day or so money back guarantee?

I've almost pulled the trigger on these ones a few times. How bad is the wind noise? Glad to hear you can hear things pretty well. If I recall they have a 30 day or so money back guarantee?

It’s not unbearable, but it’s noticeable. I’m assuming it would be worse in the open, out of the tree line. I’m going to keep using them at the range and maybe in the duck blind. Saving up for some Tetras though

I've been in the same boat looking for hearing protection for duck hunting. Something that doesn't let the wind whistle in them and can hear the sound of wings beating. Online reviews vs conversations I've had with folks couldn't make things more confusing.
I picked up a pair of Tetra ear plugs. Spendy, but virtually no wind noise and good sound out of them. Can definitely hear wings. I'd like to compare them to the wild ear, but at $900-$1000, it is pretty much one or the other.

I went with the ESP brand. They work pretty good in the wind, I can hear wings and little critters in the grass, been years since I could hear those sounds. They are not perfect but with 60% hearing loss I needed something. In Alaska our guide boats were all tillers. They didn’t work as well as I hoped for holding onto a 200 horse Yamaha, but were great for hiking the streams and talking to the guests.
They are comfortable on a pistol range or trap, providing at least the protection of soft plugs. With any kind of a muzzle brake involved I like to have muffs over the top.

do you use these consistently for shooting or just hunting?
They work pretty well?
Not the OP but I don’t believe air pods provide significant hearing protection. They are designed for to cancel out background noise. Noise cancellation doesn’t equal hearing protection if that makes sense.

Not the OP but I don’t believe air pods provide significant hearing protection. They are designed for to cancel out background noise. Noise cancellation doesn’t equal hearing protection if that makes sense.
Normal AirPods I agree but the pros have rubber tips that seal, they provide a lot of noise cancellation. I do not wear them when hunting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back