Hunting groups quit CPW’s Colorado Outdoor Partnership, citing lack of focus on wildlife

Got an email from CPW today asking for applicants to “fill two sportsperson representative positions on the Colorado Outdoor Partnership (CO-OP)”. Doesn’t say why they’re having to fill them mid-term.

I suggest anyone that wants to apply better have a very eloquent and #woke answer for this question on the application.

Attachments

• 7A9C9C4A-58A1-45D6-9658-71BA00C5B566.jpeg
    7A9C9C4A-58A1-45D6-9658-71BA00C5B566.jpeg
    65.2 KB · Views: 29
Got an email from CPW today asking for applicants to “fill two sportsperson representative positions on the Colorado Outdoor Partnership (CO-OP)”. Doesn’t say why they’re having to fill them mid-term.

I suggest anyone that wants to apply better have a very eloquent and #woke answer for this question on the application.
Wow. And I thought maybe wildlife conservation and/or habitat improvement might be a priority. This is a mandate to CPW from the top (Gov and Gov appointed commissioners). Welcome to the new normal in a state where ProgressNow completely dominates state politics.

Colorado gets what they vote for

I don't have a much to share on the departure of these organizations but I would recommend that it's better to be in the room where decisions are made than be outside of the room, with no voice, complaining about the decisions being made. Ironically I was reviewing these organizations last week trying to see what ones were of interest to get involved with...

I don't have a much to share on the departure of these organizations but I would recommend that it's better to be in the room where decisions are made than be outside of the room, with no voice, complaining about the decisions being made. Ironically I was reviewing these organizations last week trying to see what ones were of interest to get involved with...
How many times would you spend hours of your free time to prepare arguments for a discussion that you know are going to be ignored? Then go to a meeting where you are going to be ignored. And then have everyone who was not at the meeting ask how you could let this happen? If the collaborative process that the CO-OPs are trying to use is just to check the box (yep, conservation groups had their say), then all they are doing is 'collaborating' on the destruction of habitat.

How many times would you spend hours of your free time to prepare arguments for a discussion that you know are going to be ignored? Then go to a meeting where you are going to be ignored. And then have everyone who was not at the meeting ask how you could let this happen? If the collaborative process that the CO-OPs are trying to use is just to check the box (yep, conservation groups had their say), then all they are doing is 'collaborating' on the destruction of habitat.
My concern is them leaving as well, especially when other strategic partners of RMEF are still in the room (most notably TNC). Also, the people in that room for RMEF and others are likely their policy people, it's not people donating their time, it's their job to soak in all the policy decisions happening in an arena. As a Coloradan I am concerned with recreation taking precedence over wildlife and wild places, but I would have stayed in the room. Also - and I've said this in other threads on here - I think the hunting community does a shit job of working with recreation groups, users, etc in explaining that we don't just care about these issues so that we can consume later.

I am not sure how this gets done, but we need to find people - with the time and eloquence - who are both hunters and bikers / skiers / etc who can talk to both sides and find ways to work together on this. I am not sure where that starts off with what local CO groups, but we need to get on it. Too much "us" vs "them" and vice versa on their end

LOL - sounds like some of my meetings at work, but I still go. When neither action is going to get the results you want which is the better approach, still show up and try or go home?

It has to be INCREDIBLY frustrating to put in that work, I get that, and then have that work go nowhere, also terrible. Unfortunately stepping out of the room makes the loss even easier for those who want you to fail.

Last edited:
My concern is them leaving as well, especially when other strategic partners of RMEF are still in the room (most notably TNC). Also, the people in that room for RMEF and others are likely their policy people, it's not people donating their time, it's their job to soak in all the policy decisions happening in an arena. As a Coloradan I am concerned with recreation taking precedence over wildlife and wild places, but I would have stayed in the room. Also - and I've said this in other threads on here - I think the hunting community does a shit job of working with recreation groups, users, etc in explaining that we don't just care about these issues so that we can consume later.

I am not sure how this gets done, but we need to find people - with the time and eloquence - who are both hunters and bikers / skiers / etc who can talk to both sides and find ways to work together on this. I am not sure where that starts off with what local CO groups, but we need to get on it. Too much "us" vs "them" and vice versa on their end
Yup! 100% - I'm in!

There are 2 open seats at the table for those who are so concerned about the others and their time and resources leaving.....just saying

I'm not an organization - point me to one and I may consider it

Good luck to you.

Just be prepared to spew a bunch of DEI bullcrap on the application if you want to get selected.

I applied the first time around as an individual and was not selected. Hell I probably triggered half the room by saying I treat everyone equally! After seeing how futile this position is, I'm glad I was not selected and I will spend the time that I have for volunteer activities elsewhere.

I have to believe that those people exist, in numbers, in Colorado.

@Oak is RMBS throwing their hat in this ring?
I for one would love to see another hunting organization fill the spots. There is a danger in leaving in protest and no longer having a seat at the table. That being said, I understand these organizations frustrations as CO Gov along with his CPW appointees continue to politicize the commission.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleb_u
Back