Hunting for trophies and the "Paradox of Choice"

For a while now I have been working on a refutation of the adage, "Don't pass an animal on the first day that you would be happy shooting on the last." I think it is bad advice. I am trying to use Bayes Theorem to do it, and I am trying to make it look professional.

Basically, knowing (A)how much time one has left to hunt, and knowing (B) ones' own personal threshold given (A), a guy may mutate from a maximizer to a satisficer because his (B) will change based on his/her estimation of what is likely enough to happen.

For an extreme example, imagine you have the rest of your life to shoot one deer, and once you shoot it, you are done. I have a feeling that would generate a lot more maximizers than getting to hunt annually does.
Nicely stated.

I would definitely be classified as a "Satisficer" Th meat was eaten a long time ago. The horns or antlers have been replaced by new horns or antlers which were obtained by our children, grandchildren. great-grandchildren and/or their husbands or wives. BUT--the memories of the hunt, the day in the field, the day on the lake, the day in the jungle will always be with me and what I remember about that day or those days is not the meat or the antlers. What was that saying: My worst day hunting or fishing was better then my best day at work or something like that. However, if ones goal is to find and bring home the largest horns or antlers, thats o.k. too, as your still out there hunting and if it takes someone an entire season or two or three to find the exact animal they want, that is also a good story and memory. What is your goal and whatever it is is there is something to be said about your dedication toward that goal. AND, goals change, possibly one was all about the meat and then later in life became a trophy hunter.

My goal at this point in my life, besides waking up each morning is to get to "almost North Dakota, Not quite Canada", as there is some home made wine there with my name on it:)

I guess I am a satisficers, as our goal is to fill the freezer as quickly as possible, but I understand "maximizers", especially those who have traveled long distances, sometimes to other countries for their hunt.

I hunt for two reasons. First, I just enjoy the whole experience, from scouting, to hunting, to dressing, to butchering and finally; cooking. As far as the actual animal, it's food. As much as a big buck gets my adrenaline going, I prefer a nice doe that is a couple of years old. It just tastes good.

But I respect anybody that hunts, and does it honorably; whatever the end goal is.

But you can't hang meat on the wall (kidding). I'm a maximizer (trophy hunter) to the core and definitely get anxiety and depression when I fail or feel I made a bad choice. But I am becoming more of a satisficer because meat hunts with this mentality are infinitely more relaxing and enjoyable, especially with my kids. I kind of separate the two anymore, antlerless tags for meat and save the either-sex/buck/bull tags for trophies. Also, I have realized nobody else cares about how big an animal you kill, how often, or what you type on a forum...it is all narcissism and self-aggrandization.
I’ll beg to differ on the last. I really want that poster with the sheep tag to go back and get that big one. I very well may never go on another sheep hunt, but his story can carry me along just a bit.

Just saw this on FB. Perfectly sums up how I feel about hunting WT's after two weeks of hard hunting for a big mule deer buck earlier this year. The last deer I killed, a WT, was exactly like the one on that sweater.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201120-234315_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201120-234315_Chrome.jpg
    809.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Maximizer when it comes to whitetail. Mainly because I love watching deer grow year to year on a chunk of land. Also enjoy the challenge of trying to out smart a wise old buck who knows his surroundings better than I know my own bedroom. Everything else cost lots more money to chase around so its satisficer all day, but if a 350 bull and 250 bull gave me the same shot at the same time im not shooting the 250 bull.

Maximizer when it comes to whitetail. Mainly because I love watching deer grow year to year on a chunk of land. Also enjoy the challenge of trying to out smart a wise old buck who knows his surroundings better than I know my own bedroom. Everything else cost lots more money to chase around so its satisficer all day, but if a 350 bull and 250 bull gave me the same shot at the same time im not shooting the 250 bull.
I thinks lots of hunters are just like you. Maximizers when it comes to deer and satisfier when it comes to elk. My brother is this way also. Deer he holds out for a good one and with elk it is the first bull that walks within range of his bow.

I've been following your thread, and if I were in your situation I think I'd be holding out for that big ol buck too.

I enjoy the experience of being in the field, especially if my dogs are working. Shooting stuff is okay but secondary. Filling the freezer or trophy wall is way down the list. My walls are already full and an empty nest widower can only eat so much (and I typically don't care to cook or eat a lot anyway). So if I don't shoot them, I don't have to gut them. Works for me. Fortunately (or unfortunately?) I seem to have no trouble filling my tags and bags anyway.

I'm calling BS on your last statement.

The other aspect is the capability of the hunter. I can easily see how someone who is skilled and talented gets lots of opportunities and has the chance to pass on animals. I don't - I'm happy to get the chance, even if it's on opening day. However, as I learn more stuff and see more animals, the more I can see the trajectory where I would see lots of animals every season. At that point I can easily see adding difficulty to the equation so the season doesn't end opening day in the first fifteen minutes. Whether that's adding archery, holding out for big Hank or whatever, it's a satisficer approach with an addition of maximizing the enjoyment of the season.

I guess I am lucky living where I do, I can hunt every day of the year so I am spoilt for choice.
I don't eat meat from a stag, but wait until the hinds come into season.
Too many trophy stags get shot where I am, and they don't get a chance to pass on their genes, so for me personally if one crosses my path it walks to live another day, even if it means it crosses onto another farm, I shot my one big stag many years ago and have no desire to shoot another.

But show me a herd of hinds, and it's a trip to the game dealer and my freezer.

Cheers

Richard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back