Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Hunting for Deer in the Mountains

Outside of berry patches in early fall, I expect they're cruising a lot of miles and are far less patternable than spring. I'm sure there are many HT members far more versed than me in fall bears.
I think this is very accurate. Late summer they are very easy to pattern, but as fall moves on they become a lot more random in that the concentrated food sources are pretty much gone.

Timing is really key with fall bears.

Had a great day out with a friend and our kids yesterday chasing goats. My boy was shooting the compact Tikka and 95 BT’s for his first buck, 240 yds, blew up the heart and exited. Cutting meat on a drizzly Sunday, then getting organized for a solo elk trip next week.

Last edited:
I packed in during the cold snap to lean on some gear and look for a bigger type bull. Found some cows, cows, more cows, a real nice muley headed to winter range; no bulls and decided to hold off on the cows.

I came off the elk hill with a morning to turn up an antelope buck and found a herd in a convenient spot to stalk. Got into 45 yds and put him down with a 139 scenar. Prongs were weak otherwise a solid goat, some mass and neat character with beat up prongs/tips.

Then back up north to hunt deer with family. Good memories were made and I let some little Montana bucks live another day. I did see a pretty nice muley on some block management, though it didn't pan out quite right before they wandered off to some other private.

The boy, mulling the effect of windchill. He's gotten quite a few solid mountain hunts in this fall, spring bears will be in trouble.

Last edited:
GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back