Hunting Elk Salmon Units ID, Rifle or Archery.

ColtDaMan

Hi yall' trying to quickly plan my first western hunt. Im from Wisconsin and have hunted most of my life (22yrs old) and I am in decent physical shape with a bit more tuning before I leave. I am just looking for a little guidance or a push in the right direction of what I should be planning and the best way to go about it. I have been looking at maps either on the internet or using onX hunt to look at the better areas.
I think for my first time I should probably find a hotel close and hike in, wouldn't turn down backpacking either.
Also wondering what I should expect from this part of Idaho.
Thanks!

Last edited:
I don't know anything about the salmon area but what I do know is I keep hearing it brought up on this site. If you use the search function and type in salmon unit you'll find a whole bunch of results. Good luck!

This guy started another thread saying he scrapped this idea in the OP already after 1 day of consideration

I hunt that area I dont think you will find a hotel that will work out due to where I go its a drive from any town to the area I hunt and then a long walk in 3 to 5 miles up and down then a lot more up lol
its steep and tough country you would probably due better packing in and plan on being away from your truck for a few days to a week, but I dont know every road ,hotel, and town just a few
theirs a lot of great info on thier web site to start your search

I prefer hunting during the rut so this may be archery season , nothing like hearing the bulls , very enjoyable even if you don't get one

Worked it cruising timber 4 seasons in units 36, 37, 37a, 50, 51, Roughest country I've worked anywhere. Hunted it too.

Hunt it every year, deer, elk, bear, antelope, etc. Spend about 100 days a year in that country. Wolves and bears have done a number in the area. Yes, most of it is steep and access can be difficult. Motels in Salmon for a place to stay, PM me if you would like some areas to look over.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back