Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Hunting Clothes and scent control

@TheHeadTurkey my routine is somewhat similar to that of @shannerdrake other than the gloves and the ozone piece - don’t have one of those yet.

Once hunting season rolls around all my soaps and detergents are unscented. Anything that goes out to the stand is air dried and stored in sealed containers. Scent Lok is used per the specs and goes on over that. Always rubber boots. Boots and bow get sprayed down every so often. Base layers get washed after every sit.

None of the above is a substitute for being a good woodsman. Sneak in and sneak out. Read the sign. Play the wind. Pick the right spot. Sit still. Pay attention. Know your quarry. Etc. That said, a good program isn’t going to hurt and can be very helpful.

If cost is a concern, I’d start with rubber boots, the scent free soaps and detergents, and some storage containers. The containers and boots aren’t too expensive and can often be sold to recover a bunch of your costs. You’re buying soaps and detergents anyways and the scent free stuff doesn’t add that much cost. Scent Lok or the like isn’t mandatory and can be expensive.

Bow hunting is hard at first, bow hunting whitetails on public land is very hard. However it can be done and the reward of success is worth it. Good luck!

P.S. You should take some of the stuff in this thread with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Attention to detail certainly makes a big difference, especially with bow hunting. After nearly 40 years of chasing pressured whitetails that get hunted roughly 4 months out of the year, I personally think the best thing you can do is learn how to hunt the wind. And by that I don't just mean setting up downwind of where you think (or want) the deer will be. Understand how thermals work, how they change throughout the day, how they are influenced by terrain, and as if often overlooked - how deer, particularly your bigger bucks, use the wind.

I used to focus a great deal on how I washed my clothes, using scent killer products, cover scents, etc. NONE of that is a substitute for learning how you should play the wind and how your quarry plays it. And that goes for your approach to your hunting location as well - I see so many people overlook that piece.

That said, I usually slip into my hunting clothes when I reach my destination, and for whitetails around home, pretty much exclusively hunt in knee-high rubber boots that I only wear in the field. Aside from that, I don't do much else. Once I figured that out and focused my attention there, I began to consistently take more mature deer than I did when I was being meticulous with my clothes washing/scent killing (attempt) routine.

Good luck this fall.

Attention to detail certainly makes a big difference, especially with bow hunting. After nearly 40 years of chasing pressured whitetails that get hunted roughly 4 months out of the year, I personally think the best thing you can do is learn how to hunt the wind. And by that I don't just mean setting up downwind of where you think (or want) the deer will be. Understand how thermals work, how they change throughout the day, how they are influenced by terrain, and as if often overlooked - how deer, particularly your bigger bucks, use the wind.

I used to focus a great deal on how I washed my clothes, using scent killer products, cover scents, etc. NONE of that is a substitute for learning how you should play the wind and how your quarry plays it. And that goes for your approach to your hunting location as well - I see so many people overlook that piec
I was gonna post a reply, very similar to this.

If you want scent control stick your clothes next to a Smokey fire. All wind direction and dog gone it quit moving In your stand.

MY 2 cents I used to use a lot of scent control was a bit over kill even and then did some research saw videos of dogs finding people hidden in wood boxes with all kinds of scent control it didn't help at all and deer have better noses than dogs
I use the same soap every day unscented lye soap wash my clothes in any free and clear detergent and hunt the wind 100% if its not right I hunt a different stand and it hasn't made a bit of difference in me filling my tags I probably do better now and have deer in front of me almost every time I go hunting
I believe all the scent control crap is just made to take $ from our pocket just like so many things marketed today

Im making this thread in the forum for deer hunting, but Im really talking to all big game hunters. I'm relatively new to the hunting world, been hunting for going on three years now, and I dont have my "system" figured out yet and I recently was talking to someone I know that has been a hunter for 30-40 years and has done most of their hunting in Texas, but has gone to some other states for mulies/elk. I have not been successful bowhunting whitetails this year and so they told me that I should start washing my hunting clothes in scent free detergent, letting them air dry, and then storing them in a bag. As opposed to doing what I normally do which is wash them with whatever I have, dry them in the dryer, and then hanging them in the closet with the rest of the clothes. They also recommended that I stop eating in my hunting clothes and filling up gas in my hunting clothes which I normally end up doing because I hunt public that is 3 hours away (it's the closest piece of public where I can whitetail hunt) and I want to be in my hunting clothes when I get there every weekend so I can just get out and hunt, so I put wear the clothes on the way there. And finally, they suggested I wear scent killer. So, will some of you tell me you're process for storing hunting clothes, cleaning them, what you wont do in hunting clothes, etc? I think it would be beneficial for me and other people to hear from multiple points of view on this subject before I invest time and money into cleaning and storing my hunting clothes different then other clothes.

Write this down... Read it. Read it again.

Keep the wind in your favor and you can smell like a gas can. It won't matter.

That said, wash your clothes, and try to keep the stink off them. You can use whatever "scent killer" or clothes that make you feel good about your decision if it gives you confidence. You can take a bath in the scent killer and have cedar boughs for your clothing. If you're upwind you're not going to be successful on a regular basis.

I use one of those beehive smokers, ill grab leaves or twigs and light them to get them to smoke and smoke up all my clothes. I have never had an issue. Again using the wind is the best option but sometimes its not an option.

Im making this thread in the forum for deer hunting, but Im really talking to all big game hunters. I'm relatively new to the hunting world, been hunting for going on three years now, and I dont have my "system" figured out yet and I recently was talking to someone I know that has been a hunter for 30-40 years and has done most of their hunting in Texas, but has gone to some other states for mulies/elk. I have not been successful bowhunting whitetails this year and so they told me that I should start washing my hunting clothes in scent free detergent, letting them air dry, and then storing them in a bag. As opposed to doing what I normally do which is wash them with whatever I have, dry them in the dryer, and then hanging them in the closet with the rest of the clothes. They also recommended that I stop eating in my hunting clothes and filling up gas in my hunting clothes which I normally end up doing because I hunt public that is 3 hours away (it's the closest piece of public where I can whitetail hunt) and I want to be in my hunting clothes when I get there every weekend so I can just get out and hunt, so I put wear the clothes on the way there. And finally, they suggested I wear scent killer. So, will some of you tell me you're process for storing hunting clothes, cleaning them, what you wont do in hunting clothes, etc? I think it would be beneficial for me and other people to hear from multiple points of view on this subject before I invest time and money into cleaning and storing my hunting clothes different then other clothes.
Okay the wind, unfortunately you cannot beat their nose.

I am much more scent conscious while bow hunting but rule number 1 is always hunt the wind, hunt the wind, hunt the wind. I haven’t washed my Woolrich hunting outfit in over 20 years. 2 weeks before season I pack it in pine boughs. After season is over I use a shoe brush to clean off any mud or burrs. Then pack them in a vacuum bag until next season. I do shower with scent free soap every morning I am going to hunt. Most of my shots are under 50 yards so whatever I am doing is working as I shoot at least 1 deer every year for 35 years straight somtimes 2 or 3. Again rule 1 hunt the wind. Rule 2 hunt the wind. Rule 3 hunt the wind.

Whitetail deer are the best at smelling, using sent control never hurts
But as others have said wind direction is key to any hunt. Humans stink of danger to animals. Movement is also a big thing. I have watched deer stay in the shadows for over an hour just watching before they ever stepped out.
Slightest movement(scratching your nose) and they are gone.
Play the wind, use the sent control and be a statue , patience and one will walk out into bow range

Play the wind like others have said. It is really the only thing close to a sure deal. However saying that I’m still going to wash my clothes in a scent killer or scent away detergent of some kind then try to dry it outside. That is about as far as I go anymore. Too much more than that in my honest opinion is turning into a money pit.

Scent free soap doesn’t typically have UV dyes. It’s those dyes that make you stand out to an animal’s vision. They see different shades on the spectrum. The dyes in most soap to make clothes appear more vibrant, cause the clothes to stand out like a light bulb to an animal’s eye.

Storing clothes in a plastic bag after washing in scent lock is futile. Plastic = petroleum.

As it’s been said, play the wind is one of the best things that can be done.

Scent control practices are always to be secondary to playing the wind. Even with ozone, scent eliminating sprays, detergents, and scent free storage, I just don't think you can beat a deer's nose if the wind is wrong. Your body continues to function and produce volatile organic compounds that emit scent, even after you apply the scent control measures. So you will still be emitting some scent. HOWEVER, having tried all the things I mentioned above myself, I do think there could be times where scent control efforts may make a slight incrimental difference in the deer's winding you. I don't think it is enough to make a big different most of the time, but if it makes you feel more confident, there is something to be said for that.

I have my dog shit on my clothes and then put it all in bag for a week,and it's good to go.

Scent control products are one of the biggest gimmicks in the hunting world. In the past I've done all the scent free stuff and used the scent killer etc. Now I wash my clothes in Gain. I pay attention to the wind religiously. If the wind in wrong I don't go to that area. I don't care what species it is if the wind is blowing at the animal he will smell you no matter what. If the wind is in your face he won't smell you. Save your money and spend it on gear that matters.

When I'm hunting whitetails I'll e-scout public land really hard and pick areas based on topography and satellite images. I'll use a different colored pin based on the wind direction that I need to hunt that spot. Each day I'll check the wind before heading out and go in based on the wind. I got blown at twice last year and I whitetail hunted probably 60ish days seeing 150 deer.

I wash in scent free detergent, and shower with scent free soap, and spray down. Play the wind more than anything it does help somewhat if you have a deer come from a way you didn't expect.

Humor for the day.
Guy at a local auto repair shop is the self-proclaimed expert on all things hunting and talks of 700 yard rifle shots and archery shots beyond 100 yards. He makes it clear that he knows everything about all types of hunting. I mentioned getting ready for turkey hunting and he had to proclaim his expertise at turkey hunting by telling his turkey hunting stories. I had to keep from laughing when he described how he always made sure he got downwind of the turkey. All of his turkey stories had an element of "playing the wind" so the turkey would not scent him.

I wash clothes in All, non-scented hypoallergenic detergent and keep them in trash bags inside of tubs. Seems to work. I think there's some benefit to using ozonics as I've had tree-stand archery situations where the wind was very wrong and deer remained unaware. For rifle, they don't usually get close enough to scent me unless I've decided not to harvest.

I completely quit scent control a few years ago and I’m a better hunter because of it. For years I had bought in to the marketing hype that I’m going to somehow fool a deer’s nose. I now look at it more like a set of superstition rituals. Camo ranks a close second in marketing hype, but I won’t get into that here.

I learned to play the wind correctly and remain motionless. That’s 98% of the formula right there. Do all the scent control you wish, but you still have to breathe, and odor constantly emanates from your skin too. A deer’s nose can detect approximately how far away a human is, the location, and how recent the scent is.

If you do work to reduce scent, sure, you can up your game by fractions of a percent. But I challenge the assumption that “it can’t hurt” - it absolutely can when you overestimate the importance and neglect more important things.

When I bow hunt here is how I approach an ambush:
-wind direction, speed, and consistency/variability of both, prevailing wind, thermals, how when and why air movement changes throughout the day, and how deer play all of the above to their advantage.
I couldn't agree more. Camo hype also. Just selling you expensive b.s.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back