PEAX Equipment

Hunting Boots: Lightweight Possible?

First off I don't' think you can go wrong with Schnee's boots, Kenetrek, Crispi, or Lowa I would try them all on and see what fits you the best. I have narrow feet so I use uninsulated Schnee's. I used these boots with light socks in september during 85 degree Antelope hunts and heavy socks in -14 Elk hunts.

Second holy socks batman!!! You should never have to wear more than one pair of socks in a well fitting boot. Wearing more than one pair is actually what often causes blisters as the socks rubbing together and cause friction->heat->blister. When I fit a boot the number one thing I look for is that the heel is locked down, also important to make sure the laces are tied tight enough to lock you down.

Third I can't speak to your Cabela's but as long as you are wearing a pair of gaiters (so water doesn't come in over the top) with your well oiled boots you should be able to stand in a stream for minutes without getting wet. I have crossed knee deep creeks with my Schnee's with gaiters and exited with damp pants and 100% dry socks.

This guy knows what he's talking about. In addition, in my experience lightweight boots do not last long and I always ended up with serious foot fatigue hunting in the mountains. I need a very stiff sole.

I Love my Danner East Ridges but the first time i wore them during break in my heel rubbed.. the solution was to run the laces backwards through the first set of lace clasps what this does is pull the boot down with every step thus keeping your heel and the boot anchored together. no more heel rubbing.

2 things to never go cheap on are boots and optics
Everything else you can save some money on but buy the best boots you can afford and the best optics you can afford.

Good luck.

OP, like most things but especially 'feet' vary so much from person to person it's really a try on kind of deal. I have a pair of Solomon quest 3Ds grant it they are older than the 4Ds but read nothing but good about them and after wearing them a bit they kill my feet in the hills.

Anyone have experience with the scarpa charmoz? Or asolo fugitives?

This guy knows what he's talking about.

yea, if you agree with it.
Liner socks pull moisture away from the foot and tranfer it to the outer layer. The primary reason to wear them. They prevent blisters because the movement is now between the two pair of socks, allowing smooth movement and preventing friction against direct skin. The same function as blister tape.

I actually got my last pair on Amazon, of all places. The retailer was in the UK I believe, but I had no problems. That was three years ago and I'm still wearing them.:)
Thanks for that tip. Hadn't thought of Amazon and I'm a Prime user extraordinaire...

I love Cabela's and most Cabela's products, but I only wear Cabela's brand boots for hunts in mild weather and none that require crossing creeks or any snow. Spend a little more on quality and I think you will be happy. Everybody has a different foot but mine are wide and I really like my pair of Irish Setter Elk Hunters. I also have high arches that require a insole. I get both at a Red Wing Store. My archery boots are a Solomon but not sure the version.

The biggest initial challenge is finding the boot brand that fits your foot type. I have had very good luck with Crispis and Lowas. Once you find the footbed/boot combo, you're golden. I wear Darn Tough socks and have never worn a liner. The only time I get blisters is with boots that don't fit right.

Liner socks pull moisture away from the foot and tranfer it to the outer layer. The primary reason to wear them. They prevent blisters because the movement is now between the two pair of socks, allowing smooth movement and preventing friction against direct skin. The same function as blister tape.

I don't recommend liners but they work for some people. If you check the first post though he was wearing two pairs of socks in addition to liners and tape, hence my comment.

OP, you said your foot was warm with all those socks. Was it comfortable or was it sweaty hot? That's going to add blister problems if you have them too hot. And man, 800gr of insulation with THREE socks? Holy smokes man. I don't even wear that much sitting on a frozen lake ice fishing. To give you an idea, for ice fishing I wear a pair of Cabelas boots with 800 or 1000gr(I don't remember which. These also are not my hunting boots as they blistered my feet really bad) of insulation and what I would consider a medium-heavy sock. One sock. I'm not walking either. For hunting, I'm running 400gr. of insulation and a medium light merino sock and a liner. And that's still a little warm. I'm considering going to uninsulated. Just think, sweat=lubrication=slippage=blisters.

Make sure you know the proper size too. Some folks think their feet are always what they were in HS or 20 yrs ago,and you've been wearing loafers....
I got some Tibets last summer & love them.
I had tried a pair on when I found a place with many brands and I wanted a half size larger for heavy winter socks. Found them brand new/ebay,$180. 400 grm insl. Fit like the elk gloves I have worn for years,no break in. Just getting used to a stiffer boot again with heavier insulation than the Meindel's I had worn for 15 yrs.
I wear liners too most days I wear them. Never gotten wet/damp feet yet, and last year included the 7 days of hell monsoon during an elk hunt. I did wear gaiters during that trip daily too.

You folks with soaking feet & major leakage in the boots,outside of OR,WA,BC or N. CA really need to learn how to stay out of rivers,or learnhow to cross without wearing your boots and filling them up........lol

Never had that problem, even in my 20yr old Danners. I have had those flooded several times tho,over the top in deep water.

I tried that mole skin but it didn't work. Maybe it was an off brand or something, but I could literally feel it roll up as soon as I started gaining. That's why I thought maybe another thin sock would help, but it didn't.

I love Cabela's and most Cabela's products, but I only wear Cabela's brand boots for hunts in mild weather and none that require crossing creeks or any snow. Spend a little more on quality and I think you will be happy. Everybody has a different foot but mine are wide and I really like my pair of Irish Setter Elk Hunters. I also have high arches that require a insole. I get both at a Red Wing Store. My archery boots are a Solomon but not sure the version.

My feet are wide as well, and that right there limits me from what I've seen so far. Besides feet being wide I am also flat footed, it's the Polynesian in me lol! I have looked at those Irish Setters before, but the price threw me off. Now I'm seeing why certain boots will cost as much as they do though. I think I decided on Lowa's Tibet GTX in 12EE since they offer the wide width, and seem to have fairly strong backing. These Lowa's, Scrapa's, and even some Kenetrek's all looke the same to me in regards to design. Hopefully these will be a pair that'll last me a very long time.

OP, you said your foot was warm with all those socks. Was it comfortable or was it sweaty hot? That's going to add blister problems if you have them too hot. And man, 800gr of insulation with THREE socks? Holy smokes man. I don't even wear that much sitting on a frozen lake ice fishing. To give you an idea, for ice fishing I wear a pair of Cabelas boots with 800 or 1000gr(I don't remember which. These also are not my hunting boots as they blistered my feet really bad) of insulation and what I would consider a medium-heavy sock. One sock. I'm not walking either. For hunting, I'm running 400gr. of insulation and a medium light merino sock and a liner. And that's still a little warm. I'm considering going to uninsulated. Just think, sweat=lubrication=slippage=blisters.

The only time my feet got "damp/wet" was when I crossed that deal of water. Other then that every time I pull my socks off they are dry. The particular boot I have only came in an insulated version at 800g or non insulated. If they would have had a lesser insulated boot I would have gone for those no question. But it was a cheap boot, that offered warmth on top of socks. A while ago when I was reading about insulated boots I cam across a post from someone who worked at Cabela's. He said that a lot of people when they see the insulation weight they automatically think that it's around the toes where it's needed the most, but it's actually not. It's more in the upper part and back of the foot. Maybe other brands actually put the insulation where it matters though.

I should add before I decided on this particular boot I did read through the many reviews on the Cabela's site. There were others that left negative comments about the same issue, and then people who replied with "correct sock layering" and such. Pretty sure these boots are still under a year old, and hopefully the reciept is still in my truck so I can return them.

Appreciate everybody's help. Thank you.

Last edited:
I have several friends that love their Lowa Tibet boots hopefully they work out for you! I thought it was worth mentioning that several sock companies, kuiu is a example right of the top of my head, that make socks with extra reinforcement in the places that typically rub. I have a pair of the kuiu and it definitely gives me a snugger fit in the heals I almost always wear those socks if I know I'm doing lots of side hilling and dealing with steep terrain. Also I have started to go with a bit of duct tape secured with some athletic tape for blisters, one of my buddies is a MD and all around mountain adventure expert in AK and it's what he recommended.

Make sure you know the proper size too. Some folks think their feet are always what they were in HS or 20 yrs ago,and you've been wearing loafers....
I got some Tibets last summer & love them.
I had tried a pair on when I found a place with many brands and I wanted a half size larger for heavy winter socks. Found them brand new/ebay,$180. 400 grm insl. Fit like the elk gloves I have worn for years,no break in. Just getting used to a stiffer boot again with heavier insulation than the Meindel's I had worn for 15 yrs.
I wear liners too most days I wear them. Never gotten wet/damp feet yet, and last year included the 7 days of hell monsoon during an elk hunt. I did wear gaiters during that trip daily too.

You folks with soaking feet & major leakage in the boots,outside of OR,WA,BC or N. CA really need to learn how to stay out of rivers,or learnhow to cross without wearing your boots and filling them up........lol

Oh man you really got me there lol! I went though this same ordeal about 2 years ago lol. My feet have grown almost 2 sizes total since college. In the last year I swear they grew another size. I was tripping out when I had to try on 11.5's and 12's for gym shoes, running shoes, and boots. I never thought something like this was possible. I hope to find a deal like you have. I've decided that those Tibet's will be the next boot I purchase.

I have several friends that love their Lowa Tibet boots hopefully they work out for you! I thought it was worth mentioning that several sock companies, kuiu is a example right of the top of my head, that make socks with extra reinforcement in the places that typically rub. I have a pair of the kuiu and it definitely gives me a snugger fit in the heals I almost always wear those socks if I know I'm doing lots of side hilling and dealing with steep terrain. Also I have started to go with a bit of duct tape secured with some athletic tape for blisters, one of my buddies is a MD and all around mountain adventure expert in AK and it's what he recommended.

Thanks for the reply and tip on the KUIU sock. I'll definitely have to look at these again. I'm learning cheaper isn't always better, as with anything really, but was hesitant to go all out on my first season ya know ha ha! Side hilling and steep terrain is what really tore me up, would love to just go where I want to go and not think about how bad those blisters will be lol.

Can you explain more about the duct tape please. Is that around the sock, or around the skin?

Thanks again.

The duct tape goes directly on the skin. Athletic tape over that. Sock over both.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back