Caribou Gear Tarp

Hunting Boots: Lightweight Possible?

Local army navy has a good selection of boots, no scarpa or salewas but they have a bunch of Crispi boots. Between needing new pacs too a guy good pick up a big bill buying a couple pairs of boots.

I just picked up a pair of Red Wing, Irish Setter, Vaprtrek, unisulated & waterproof. for spot & stalk, with a pair of regular socks & a pair of Wool socks, they will be fine for mornings in the upper 20s or warmer. and they only weigh 2.5 pounds.
I don't need my 5 pound insulated boots, unless it gets in the mid 20s and is going to stays there.
at 64 years old, keeping the weight down helps.

Kevin

So I spent this late season archery hunt in a pair of Cabela's 800g Insulated Iron Ridge hunting boots. I "broke" these boots in well before the season started, but I think the design of them showed it's ugliness while gaining elevation. On flat to semi flat walking the boots are fine, but once I start gaining hard elevation my heals rubs hard against the boot. I am wearing 3 layers of socks. Liner sock, a thin merino wool sock, and heavy duty cold merino sock. With the amount I spent on bandaids to prevent blisters I could have gotten a nicer shoe. I tired that mole skin, but that just rubbed off and I got blisters. The special blister bandaid, along with some fabric bandaids, and then taped over with some Transpore tape from 3M would last me the whole day out.

But with a stated weight of 3.9lbs (don't know what size that is for) for the pair, I figured perhaps the more exspensive boots come in lighter, and are more comfortable. I wear a size 11.5-12 EE shoe/boot. Looking at Kenetrek's and Crispi boots, the weight per boot (non insulated) is the same even more! Add to that it's 3x-4x's the price of the Cabela boot I just don't know if that's worth it. I liked the 10" height of the boot, felt great on steep descents. Even though it stated it was waterproof, and I put many generous coats of waterproofing rub and sprays on it, it wasn't. Crossed a small creek and regretted that almost instantly.

I've been looking at UA's Infil Ops Gortex, because of some of the reviews I've gotten from people I look up to. Problem is, is that they don't make them or are out of stock. I don't think they are going to make anymore. So I'm looking again for next year.

What do you guys wear that is light weight and waterproof? Breaths well, and has a nice flexible but sturdy sole if possible. Looking for an early season boot for September.

Thanks.

LD sorry if I missed it, but I didnt see where you are getting the blisters. Is it on the back of the heal or is it on the bottom?

I have used Danners for decades, both as a work boot and a hunting boot. Almost all of the work boots have been at least one trip through their re crafting department in Portland OR. While not a mountaineering boot which I no longer need they have been by far the best line of boots I have worn in my life.

I was fortunate for my work to purchase me new boots every couple of years. Needless to say I have 'a few' pair of Danners now in my retirement. They will start to leak eventually, but upon re crafting the liners can be replaced as well (as well as at least three different option for soles).

I agree 100% with the multiple sock issue. The only time I have ever worn multiple pairs of socks was in my climbing boots decades ago, and then only a very thin inner sock and a heavy wool outer sock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back