Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Hunting Alone

I have hunted several times alone and never had an issue with the hunt, but some times being successful was not fun. As stated taking naps is nice and I also always took a book, and the pages already read can be used for many other emergency's. I take a couple fish hooks, a few feet of line and use willow sticks to catch and eat trout when I can. You can find bait under rocks and rotten logs. Just say relaxed and never rush into anything.

Over a month a year solo backpack deer/elk hunts every year. Wife thinks I'm crazy.

It's Nirvana & Regenerative, with an occasional nerve-wracking minute or two. I always come back more relaxed, focused and 10-15lbs lighter. Have had my daughter and her husband hike up and meet me one. That was nice company but it changed the way I hunted...

Be prepared mentally for things like below (with only a bow in your hand and bear spray)

One year, I was screamed at by a MT Lion 40yds on the other side of a draw, saw eyes and face in my headlamp. Really freaked out when his/her mate screamed from above me, on my side. Last year heard steps (breaking grass/twigs) approaching my tent at 8000ft in Idaho...knife out and broadhead in hand, I waited. At about 20ft, it bolted and I heard antlers (elk or moose?) hitting trees.

Over a month a year solo backpack deer/elk hunts every year. Wife thinks I'm crazy.

It's Nirvana & Regenerative, with an occasional nerve-wracking minute or two. I always come back more relaxed, focused and 10-15lbs lighter. Have had my daughter and her husband hike up and meet me one. That was nice company but it changed the way I hunted...

Be prepared mentally for things like below (with only a bow in your hand and bear spray)

One year, I was screamed at by a MT Lion 40yds on the other side of a draw, saw eyes and face in my headlamp. Really freaked out when his/her mate screamed from above me, on my side. Last year heard steps (breaking grass/twigs) approaching my tent at 8000ft in Idaho...knife out and broadhead in hand, I waited. At about 20ft, it bolted and I heard antlers (elk or moose?) hitting trees.
Life goals - and great sig line

My life in a nutshell when solo hunting!!! Haha I will share randoms storys with my wife after going on a 10 day solo elk trip, in grizz country and the looks she gives me are priceless. (And my horses/mules are good company when solo)

The encounters with lions or bears (or anything that goes bump in the night) make solo hunts hard. It is easy to talk yourself out of hunting. You definitely learn more about yourself when you are by yourself.

I really enjoy hunting by myself, especially from home. Not sure id want to spend 10 days elk hunting by myself but I enjoy going at my pace hunting solo on a regular basis.

" My goal this year is to pace myself, take breaks, hunt smart, slow down, and be OK with not hunting every legal minute of shooting time."

Exactly how I approach every hunt now a days. I guess I'm that weird guy cause I absolutely love my me time. Been going solo so long I can't even remember the last time I hunted with someone. He!! I go out of my way to avoid parking at a trailhead to not have to talk to people. The only person I'd really like to be with me is my wife. I haven't quite talked her into the whole backcountry thing yet.

I've always been a loner. I love hunting by myself. When I do hunt with others that just means that we share a camp but go our separate ways to do the actual hunting. I do like to hunt with others when I'm not the one trying to kill something. When I'm just an extra set of eyes and ears or a back that's not quite so strong as it used to be.

I mainly big game hunt by myself. I find that I go pretty slow and take a lot of breaks, spend more time behind the glass. Like neffa, I usually have to battle with myself to stay out there more than one night.

I'm far more successful when hunting by myself.

I mainly big game hunt by myself. I find that I go pretty slow and take a lot of breaks, spend more time behind the glass. Like neffa, I usually have to battle with myself to stay out there more than one night.

I'm far more successful when hunting by myself.

Might have something to do with all the whiskey we drink when others are around 🤷‍♂️

I like hunting alone sometimes, while other times I like the company, so I try to mix it up. If I hunt with buddies who have a similar style, we split up in the morning and then can help if someone gets something. That is often the best of both worlds.

As for motivation, I always have a treat in my food for that day. Nothing like a little pick-me-up.
SWISS CAKE ROLLS !!!!!

I can be hard core as with the guys I usually hunt with. I guess alone or with guys I know. One bad apple can ruin an entire hunt.

I'm doing my first hunt of my life this year, and I'm doing it self-supported, via backpack, and alone.

Full disclosure though: I've ultralight backpacked for years so being in the wild is not new. I'm just taking more gear, dressing differently, and planning to come back with more weight rather than less. I also carry an InReach.

Texas hunting for me is 99% solo...but with only a couple of rural sections, if you're extremely lucky, solo ends at the gate. Except for the Colorado elk hunts with my boys, and an admitted proclivity for home sickness, the few solo trips I've made to the mountains are my favorite. Even the drive to and fro were enjoyable. Plenty of time and ambiance for introspection and blessings bookkeeping.

Hunting alone is no issue, camping alone gets boring quick.

I much rather hunt alone, but camp with a partner or relative. Coming back to camp, and BSing etc is part of the hunt for me.

Coming back to camp, sitting down for a week by yourselft is boring but this year since I drew a good tag, this is exactly what I will be doing.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back