Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Hunters Safety Course - How to make Special

Botch

This Saturday I will be taking my 10 year old to hunters safety course. My ole man never took me and being from Oregon it was never required so I took it on a Saturday later in life, no big deal, and honestly it was just another day. It took 15 years to sink in on what I have become and what the privilege means to me.

I’m looking for any feedback on how to make this day special for him.

Obviously, as we go out I’ll reinforce the lessons and those will be special times. But I’d really like for this to be a pivotal day he will remember, a la like getting a drivers license. However, hopefully he will become a “Hunter”, and that privilege means a bit more to me than driving a car.

I view Saturday as a day that he will be joining a new fraternity the greatest and most selfless group of folks I know of (for the most part).

So any thoughts? Anything your Dads did with you that made the day special?

Maybe couple the day with a gun or bow that is 'his'. Gives him some ownership and a great way to harness the excitement. I'm thinking like a single shot .22 or something that'll allow him to enjoy shooting, learn responsibility and reinforce all the important things taught during the course.

I also realize now that having my dad not only in the course, but engaged in the course with me really put a positive stamp on the day.

Thank you. I can’t wait to take notes with him. I got him a single shot 2-3 years ago and We shoot 5-6 times a year.
I have thought about a rifle of his own and ownership, but I’m also looking for away to introduce the expectation of conservation.

Maybe I’m way over my skis and my expectations are too high. He did read both volumes of Steve’s book as a prerequisite.

I gotcha. I don't recall much about the expectation of conservation in my course but that was 20 yrs ago. I seem to remember more about know your target and what's beyond, what an ethical shot is, etc. I probably learned most of my conservation ethics from watching the actions of my dad and other family members who hunt and fish.

Conservation was a pretty big part of the class my 10yo went through last summer and the part he had the most questions about. Second most being the technical aspects of different types of weapons/equipment. Having been hunting for 3 years (apprenticeship licenses/tags) much of the safety information he'd already heard a bunch of times from me. Once I had the safety number, we made it "special" by buying and signing is own license. He was pretty proud of that.

Suggest visiting some conservation/hunting oriented websites w son before the big day. RMEF, BHA, TRCP, Nature Conservancy come to mind. RMEF has a special section in Bugle magazine for children. You can probably find Hunter Safety prep courses online to review w him as well. You can always find conservation topics to discuss w him @ home, in the neighborhood, on the news, in games or TV programs. If you think it is important, likely he will think it is important. Thanks for pointing your son in a (+) direction.

Conservation was a pretty big part of the class my 10yo went through last summer and the part he had the most questions about. Second most being the technical aspects of different types of weapons/equipment.

Glad to hear things have evolved in that direction. The conservation aspect is the absolute most important aspect of hunting and fishing imo.

Thanks everyone. He has been on the field for the past 3 years. We shoot regularly but not enough. He gets the safety of gun ownership (I’m in law enforcement, so that has been since day 1). Maybe I’m trying to shoot the moon, obviously we all feel the way we do about this because of the prices we’ve paid. Maybe there is no shortcut to this andnits just something you have to pay the price for. I’m just want it not to be a hurdle. The kid was so dang proud of his Cub Scout totem chip, I suspect he will be excited. It’s an hour drive to and from and it will be held at a Cabelas. My plan was to hand down my .270, throw on a limb saver and some Hornady reduce rounds. So I thought maybe purchasing a bow....something where we can get a lot of trigger time on in the back 40.
I like the idea of getting his license ASAP.

Botch - thanks for bringing this up! I was proud to take both my kids to our local hunter education course - and proud to attend right along with them! I was the only parent to do so in both classes and sometimes got strange looks from the other parents. The instructors were happy to have me and I really enjoyed the course. There is always something to learn and every instructor has a different focus. I really feel that many adults would benefit from continued hunter education and Montana does occasionally have some courses available at their facility in Helena. Obviously there are many distractions available to our youth and hunting and the outdoor way of life needs guys like us spending the time with our kids to ensure the tradition continues!! My son took to the technical aspect like firearm parts/types, different hunting methods, field care. My daughter really embraced the conservation topics and the wildlife identification course.

To answer your question: Taking them to the class and act like it's not a pain in your ass to do so. Have conversations about the topics afterwards. Bring up the lessons when you are out in the field. Treat the conversation as if you were talking to another adult-this brings them to your level and sub-consciously ingrains in them that this is a serious and worthy life-long sport.

Commemorating with a rifle is awesome. If not financially feasible then a decent hunting knife can be very affordable. Best gift is time in the field...

My 2-cents -- keep it simple, keep it positive and be present. As adults we sometimes can forget the value in just being together -- we can layer expectations, pride, and complex adult considerations onto time with our kids. In the end they learn a lot more by watching our actions, than by hearing our words or instructions. In most cases, it;s the time together makes it special, not all the other trappings. That being said, I really do like the thought of a tangible gift to commemorate this important step, but I would go simpler than a gun, something that doesn't get locked in the safe when you get home, something he can "control" and "own" -- something like a nice pocket knife.

30 years ago I did the same thing with my son. I actually took the course and the test. I couldn't find my old certificate so I got a new one. Cool experience taking the entire course with my then 9 year old son. I promised him a gun when he passed the course. I purchased a stainless synthetic Ruger 77 22 mag and added a 2-7 power scope. Maybe a little overkill but he is now teaching his son's to shoot with that 22 mag. I didn't want a semi auto because I wanted him to learn to shoot slow and deliberate. No rapid fire. Maybe a nice gun is too much but it turned out to be a lifetime investment. When we started hunting rabbits and squirrels we only took his gun and just took turns shooting. Great memories and he turned out to be a great shot.

Been throgh 4 huner safety courses.Two with Uncle and Father.One in CAL.best of all;Conservation!Last one Online.NEVER HAS BEEN A ONE DAY OCCURANCE.Can't be done in one day.Look at online,they cover all aspects.Safety and conservation as well as respect.
Online covers Vehicle (OHV) rules as well.ALL FREE> Last day $$$

Thank you, I signed up as well.
The rifle idea (if one can afford it) does seem to be the go to. I love the idea of a rifle that will be a heritage family piece. (I specifically left out the caliber to avoid that hot mess).
I agree with everyone as well that the lessons and reinforcements are in the field and done over time, I’m not trying to cheat those lessons. Like I said just looking to make it memorable.

I really appreciate thought everyone.

Gifting a gun, or a simple pocket knife.

Maybe take him down and get his first licenses, even if just conservation.

Maybe giant steak dinner.

We took both kids a few years ago and made it a family thing. I was planning on being bored stiff the whole day. I had a blast and so did the rest of the family. My son complained about going for weeks ahead of time and then wanted to go back again after the course. The instructors envolved everyone and were awesome. Be engaged and it will be good. I hope your instructors are as good as the ones we had. Then we went out to dinner afterwards and shared what each of us took away. The kids still light up anytime Hunter's Safety is mentioned. Have fun!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back