Hunter Harassment on Antelope Hunt

Not nearly enough prison or jail capacity to house all of those--nor could we ever afford the taxes to build them.

Good on you for sticking up for your rights!
lol yes your right and I did so with keeping basically calm even with him having gun draw n telling us our guns were gone
if he was acting better I would have sat on the tailgate and even let him call our local warden who I know and have his number so he could have checked on the issue
hey Shines on another note I enjoy your posts in the unlimited thread Im late to the party but heading in to give it a run I think I have a fair game plan

I've been to WY twice now. Both times accused of being on private/trespassing by ranchers. Both times we proved the group I was with were in the right and ranchers were wrong. One rancher pulled up to our camp at night and was cussing u a storm at us and demanding we give him the land owner vouchers.

One rancher pulled up to our camp at night and was cussing u a storm at us and demanding we give him the land owner vouchers.
This reminds me of an experience I had antelope hunting. Not necessarily hunter harassment, but two different years we had the same landowner come and ask for our landowner coupons for the bucks we shot. Even though we killed our antelope on BLM but he figured he deserved the coupons since he feeds the antelope when they cross onto his land. Even claimed the game warden said he could do that. I laughed and told him it didn't work that way. I did offer to give him the coupon from my unfilled doe tag if he let me shoot one on his land. He just huffed and drove off.

hey Shines on another note I enjoy your posts in the unlimited thread Im late to the party but heading in to give it a run I think I have a fair game plan

Thank you! That thread is almost my only online hangout related to hunting. (I can't help but post commentary on many political issues these days, especially in response to some of the clueless or deliberately false stuff I encounter on YouTube.)

I wish you good hunting if you do decide to pursue the Bighorns. I'm still hoping to be the oldest hunter to ever tackle that game; but the prospect grows slimmer with every year, every health matter and every financial issue that begs priority attention. Hope I get to encounter you and some of the other thread participants somewhere in the vicinity "The Tooths" before the game is called!

Quail hunting two weeks ago on my buddy’s ranch. In California but forgive where I live. Anyway the neighbor Lady starts screaming at us. “You M-F ers, You shoot my horses We’ll shoot you!” Stupid vulgar stuff like that. We were a half mile from her horses shooting shotguns and never in their direction anyway. We told her we had written permission to be there. She shut up but her husband then followed us as close as he could (without going onto my buddy’s property) in his truck. Drove all around us watching with binos. Watched us for about 4 hours. Really annoying. By the way, we limited. 😎

In high school I bowhunted a farm down the road from where we lived. Back then I pretty much knew every landowner for a mile or two in any direction. I was getting dressed on the tailgate for an afternoon sit. When she pulled up and asked me what I thought I was doing. I replied going hunting. She said not on my land your not! I said I know you guys property is across the 4 lane highway and there is another farm in between that anyhow. Do you think I'm putting on all these clothes to run across the 4 lanes of traffic and cross four fences a half mile from here? The look on her face when she realized I knew where her property was and everyone who owned the farms in between from a 16 year old kid was priceless.

Since this thread is mostly about bad experiences I figure I should tell you folks about a really great experience I had today with a landowner. Our day started off as a bird hunt. I needed to get out in a bad way. We were able to shoot two roosters and a bonus sharpie. Having had a good day of bird hunting we hopped in the truck and went to check out some public land and walk ins where I had a couple doe pronghorn tags I could fill.

I normally buy several doe tags a year for this area and 4 out of five years I don't even hunt them. Since my mom is in the hospital with covid and isn't doing well I knew my usual trip to hunt the black hills for WT wasn't going to happen this year. I had turned the rest of my ground elk from last year into jerky and was wanting to refill the ground meat stores. The pronghorn in this particular area (the same area Doug was hunting I'm sure) aren't doing great, but I know of a few walk ins where the pronghorn numbers are always strong. We found pronghorn right away on the one walk in, but they're never easy to kill there due to the topography. I got on a herd at approximately a hundred yards, but the pronghorn were stacked up like cordwood and I couldn't get a shot at a doe without hitting several animals. The only pronghorn I could've shot that cleared the group had no visible horns but I could see that he had a faint black cheek patch so he was a no go. Eventually I got a phone call I had no choice but to take so that ended that encounter. I knew it was going to be a chess match kind've day so towards evening we set up on a big herd 700 yds away and hoped that they would make a mistake and feed our way. With about 45 minutes of shooting light left the pronghorn finally got into a spot where I could make a stalk. I got on them at 285 and made a clean one shot kill on a doe.

I sent my buddy to grab the truck and reposition it for the pack out. Realizing we were close enough to gut and drag rather than quarter and pack I went ahead and gutted the doe. I haven't done that in years as I usually have to quarter and pack them out on my back. As I was finishing the job my wife saw a pickup driving towards us on the walk in area. I thought, excellent, this will make delivering the landowner coupon easy. As the truck got closer I saw my buddy riding shotgun with a huge grin on his face. I knew right away what was happening and I was thrilled!

As the landowner pulled right up to the pronghorn he said throw her in the back of the truck and hop in, I'll drive you guys back to the truck! I couldn't believe the luck! What a guy! He saved me a half mile drag/carry and we were back to the truck within 45 minutes of pulling the trigger. I got his name and despite the fact that he was insistent it was no big deal he'll be receiving a gift card and some jerky in the mail as a thank you. I've had a terrible week with my moms hospitalization, to be honest we were told to make sure her affairs are in order as her kidneys were failing even before the covid which makes treating the covid very difficult. It's been a tough tough year, we lost my great uncle who got me into to hunting, and we lost my grandmother in May. This guys kindness put a smile on my face for the first time in a long damn time. I really needed that. Funny how a simple thing at the right time can do that.

The doe that I killed had tiny little horns. Approx one inch long. This being my first horned doe, I didn't realize that the horns were, how do I say, jiggly? I can grab them and wiggle them around quite a bit side to side. It's as if they just grow out of the skin rather than being attached to a sheath like a buck would be. Pretty cool. Does anyone know if I could euro mount it with the horns still attached or will they come off when I cape the skull?

Last edited:
Since this thread is mostly about bad experiences I figure I should tell you folks about a really great experience I had today with a landowner. Our day started off as a bird hunt. I needed to get out in a bad way. We were able to shoot two roosters and a bonus sharpie. Having had a good day of bird hunting we hopped in the truck and went to check out some public land and walk ins where I had a couple doe pronghorn tags I could fill.

I normally buy several doe tags a year for this area and 4 out of five years I don't even hunt them. Since my mom is in the hospital with covid and isn't doing well I knew my usual trip to hunt the black hills for WT wasn't going to happen this year. I had turned the rest of my ground elk from last year into jerky and was wanting to refill the ground meat stores. The pronghorn in this particular area (the same area Doug was hunting I'm sure) aren't doing great, but I know of a few walk ins where the pronghorn numbers are always strong. We found pronghorn right away on the one walk in, but they're never easy to kill there due to the topography. I got on a herd at approximately a hundred yards, but the pronghorn were stacked up like cordwood and I couldn't get a shot at a doe without hitting several animals. The only pronghorn I could've shot that cleared the group had no visible horns but I could see that he had a faint black cheek patch so he was a no go. Eventually I got a phone call I had no choice but to take so that ended that encounter. I knew it was going to be a chess match kind've day so towards evening we set up on a big herd 700 yds away and hoped that they would make a mistake and feed our way. With about 45 minutes of shooting light left the pronghorn finally got into a spot where I could make a stalk. I got on them at 285 and made a clean one shot kill on a doe.

I sent my buddy to grab the truck and reposition it for the pack out. Realizing we were close enough to gut and drag rather than quarter and pack I went ahead and gutted the doe. I haven't done that in years as I usually have to quarter and pack them out on my back. As I was finishing the job my wife saw a pickup driving towards us on the walk in area. I thought, excellent, this will make delivering the landowner coupon easy. As the truck got closer I saw my buddy riding shotgun with a huge grin on his face. I knew right away what was happening and I was thrilled!

As the landowner pulled right up to the pronghorn he said throw her in the back of the truck and hop in, I'll drive you guys back to the truck! I couldn't believe the luck! What a guy! He saved me a half mile drag/carry and we were back to the truck within 45 minutes of pulling the trigger. I got his name and despite the fact that he was insistent it was no big deal he'll be receiving a gift card and some jerky in the mail as a thank you. I've had a terrible week with my moms hospitalization, to be honest we were told to make sure her affairs are in order as her kidneys were failing even before the covid which makes treating the covid very difficult. It's been a tough tough year, we lost my great uncle who got me into to hunting, and we lost my grandmother in May. This guys kindness put a smile on my face for the first time in a long damn time. I really needed that. Funny how a simple thing at the right time can do that.

The doe that I killed had tiny little horns. Approx one inch long. This being my first horned doe, I didn't realize that the horns were, how do I say, jiggly? I can grab them and wiggle them around quite a bit side to side. It's as if they just grow out of the skin rather than being attached to a sheath like a buck would be. Pretty cool. Does anyone know if I could euro mount it with the horns still attached or will they come off when I cape the skull?
Prayers out for your mother, you & your family as you journey through these difficult times.
My daughter-in-law is fighting with Covid in the hospital today and she needs prayers too.
On this Thanksgiving day we give thanks for all people doing good for their neighbors including our health care workers and ranchers like you met.

Prayers out for your mother, you & your family as you journey through these difficult times.
My daughter-in-law is fighting with Covid in the hospital today and she needs prayers too.
On this Thanksgiving day we give thanks for all people doing good for their neighbors including our health care workers and ranchers like you met.
My elk hunt got cut short due to a false positive COVID scare but wife was still sick. First test swab was positive. Follow up one they did at hospital was negative along with the third one they did to confirm so she got released to bedrest at home. I didn't get much of a chance to close things down on my elk hunt and had to rely on my buddies to take care of things. Nurses taking care of wife at hospital were great.

Years back I had a totally different hunter harassment experience.. I had just acquired the family farm from my parents. I had been combining corn earlier in the afternoon down the road from my farm. I decided that I needed a break and thought I would go hunting out behind the house for the evening..

I walked out back to box blind that sat on the edge of a WW field. To my surprise there is a guy sitting in my blind. He gets out and starts cussing be a blue streak. Telling me I don't belong there and I'm trespassing. Now mind you I almost in the dead center of my own property that I had grown up on.He starts coming charging my way telling me he is going to clean my clock and now I am madder than a wet hen... I literally drop my rifle and tell him to bring it on because I'm going to knock every tooth out of his head and when I'm done I'm going to call the law and have him arrested for assault and trespassing.. He pulled up short realizing I wasn't backing down..

I then told him in no uncertain terms that I owned the property and that he had no place being there.. Come to find out he had walked over a mile across numerous other friends farms to get to mine to hunt.. I called the sheriff's department and they found his truck and waited for him to come back upon which time they wrote him up for trespassing..

I'll give you this the guy had a set of stones..

Years back I had a totally different hunter harassment experience.. I had just acquired the family farm from my parents. I had been combining corn earlier in the afternoon down the road from my farm. I decided that I needed a break and thought I would go hunting out behind the house for the evening..

I walked out back to box blind that sat on the edge of a WW field. To my surprise there is a guy sitting in my blind. He gets out and starts cussing be a blue streak. Telling me I don't belong there and I'm trespassing. Now mind you I almost in the dead center of my own property that I had grown up on.He starts coming charging my way telling me he is going to clean my clock and now I am madder than a wet hen... I literally drop my rifle and tell him to bring it on because I'm going to knock every tooth out of his head and when I'm done I'm going to call the law and have him arrested for assault and trespassing.. He pulled up short realizing I wasn't backing down..

I then told him in no uncertain terms that I owned the property and that he had no place being there.. Come to find out he had walked over a mile across numerous other friends farms to get to mine to hunt.. I called the sheriff's department and they found his truck and waited for him to come back upon which time they wrote him up for trespassing..

I'll give you this the guy had a set of stones..
He's lucky you didn't just shoot him coming at you like that on your land.

No harrassment really but Thanksgiving morning me and my brother and cousins were duck hunting my grandparents farm. This particular part of the farm is landlocked and has an easement lane from the main road for access. Some guys lease that field where the easement runs through. Mind you I've been using that easement my whole life and it's been there since some time in the 1920's. Coming out on the lane in my ranger they were all there by the truck and taking video of us on there phones. We all got a good chuckle out of that.

I have had two encounters with hunter harassment in the past two years. Fortunately, I have a great relationship with the game warden. I declined charges on the first experience in hopes to not involve the landowner (huge mistake because we ended up losing access anyway) and on the second, I didn't film (my mistake). It was also a borderline experience; was she harassing me? YES. But would it have ever stood without video, NO. We both knew what she was doing but it would have been tough to prove even with video. Both experiences were learning experiences and both instances have files with the game warden. I will always film from now on. Our game warden is top notch. On the second instance, within 10 minutes of getting off the phone he sent me a picture to verify the culprit. I have called him multiple times (mostly about regs) and he answers all questions and is very patient with me. Unfortunately, I hunt an area that is a blend of people who have always lived there and people who moved from the city for a taste of the "country life;" they just don't want everything that comes with "country life."

**Prayers for those battling health issues.

Several years ago I called the MI DNR on a land owner that had posted no hunting signs on about 50 acre of state land adjacent to his private land. He had also barricaded the two track on the public land. Never found out what happened to the land owner but the signs were removed and the two track reopened.

My elk hunt got cut short due to a false positive COVID scare but wife was still sick. First test swab was positive. Follow up one they did at hospital was negative along with the third one they did to confirm so she got released to bedrest at home. I didn't get much of a chance to close things down on my elk hunt and had to rely on my buddies to take care of things. Nurses taking care of wife at hospital were great.
I pray all is well now at your household buddy.

I typically dont have people bother me because I am not hunting from the truck. The closer to civilization or view of the public the greater the chance is someone will mess with you.

Often times here in MI I hear about aggression against hunters by other hunters. Shooting hunting dogs. Flatten tires on trucks because someone is parked to close to someone's hunting spot on public land. Stealing hunting dogs from the field.

Often times here in MI I hear about aggression against hunters by other hunters. Shooting hunting dogs. Flatten tires on trucks because someone is parked to close to someone's hunting spot on public land. Stealing hunting dogs from the field.
That’s sad to hear. Someone can steal all 4 tires off my truck, break the windows out, and remove the motor and lll be pissed. But if they shoot my hunting dog I’ll probably need a substantial amount of bail money.

There’s a 2x2 mile section of state land about 10 miles down the road we have taken a handful of 140-160” whitetails over the years. Every time people go out there some nutcase lady from a nearby house takes pictures of lic plates and says she’s calling the warden, etc etc. pretty sure they ignore her because he has never showed up and we never leave. after about my 3 or 4th encounter with her of me being super polite to her I decided to tell her to eat shat and die, she was harassing us and I pulled out my phone and started recording her and said I had her address and would be filing a hunter harassment complaint with the appropriate authorities. She has since left us alone but still messes with other people.
Hey Doublecluck, sounds like my nutty Aunt Cindy. How bout you shoot me the GPS so I can verify the location and go have a talk with her;) maybe like next November or so

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back