Hunter Harassment on Antelope Hunt

I had a person in a kayak continuously paddle around my decoys to keep birds from coming near us.

It would be nice if BLM/NFS would pass a rule that if a public land lessee had "X" number of individual filed complaints within 36 months of public land harassment they wouldn't' be eligible to re-less grazing rights or whatever for 36 months...

Every year, at least one idiot will try to intimidate me. This usually only starts happening when muzzle loader/rifle season starts.

A few times a season I'll have idiots idle by my truck, blast music windows down, pace/walk around the truck, speed up/down trails where my truck is parked, etc (and that's only what I can see/hear when I'm close enough to my truck). I say it a lot but I strongly believe a good portion of hunters are straight up jealous assholes and some of the worst people I have met. Not that they make up the majority of hunters but most of the weird/creepy situations I've been in over the years have been with other "hunters".

At the same time, some of the most generous/nice people I have met are hunters.

Last edited:
Yes by ranchers and ranch hands trying to kick me off of public land. I always carry a map.
had a rancher erect a large no hunting sign on public land. I called the gm and he told me to run it over a few times. I did. Haha. He has since retired but was the coolest gm I ever knew.

Not really hunter harrassment, but more of stupidity at its finest.

My wife and I went full-western in WYO and decided to use onX Offroad to drive over a distant ridge to get deep into a rather large chunk of BLM. My wife spotted a herd of antelope miles away (near the public/private boundary) so we crept over rock and prairie to try and close the distance before starting a spot and stalk portion of the hunt. We chased this herd on foot (5 bucks, 30 does) for many hours over the next ridge line and right up to a fence into private. As luck would have it, they busted us, turned directly towards us and sprinted around to recross over the same ridge and settled within 50 yards of my parked truck. My truck was over 1000 yards away towards the middle of the unit and in plain sight of all accesses to this small, sage covered valley.

We maneuvered to keep the wind in our favor and used the ridge to cover our movements. By this point, we were both extremely excited with the prospect of taking a decent sized buck within 100 yards of our truck. Just as we were finishing setting up for a 250 yard shot from a coulie, we noted a dust cloud coming from the far off ridge with the distinct sound of a chainsaw.

Needless to say, the person driving a side by side did not notice the BIG SILVER CHEVY COLORADO 4X4 Truck in the middle of the sage prairie with pronghorn all around it. What they did see, however, was the pronghorn herd. With my wife already on the riflescope, zoomed into the buck she wanted to harvest, but had to come off the rifle since the side by side was directly inline with the buck she was about to shoot. The driver did not slow down until he was within a 50 yards of the herd, slams on his brakes, jumps out with a rifle and attempts a shot at one of the now fleeing antelope herd.

Both my wife and I are absolutely stunned at this action. I am RED HOT, fuming, pissed off, and cursing up a storm. First of all, a 4 hour stalk was just busted up by a "hunter" within moments, secondly, he almost got himself shot, had we not been paying attention to the general area. My wife, with her soft voice, looks over at me, shrugs her shoulders, and says, "Well, thar's public land huntin' for ya." Reality instantly sets back in, and the mood switches to laughing at the idiot who tried to kill a pronghorn in full run from a sXs.

I unloaded the rifle, collapsed the tripod, strapped on my backpack and walked back to the truck. While taking a water break and just getting our wits about us, we used the time to look at the area for all the "sign" the herd left behind around our truck. The sXs had literally and figurative scared the crap out of the whole herd. We also inspected the truck for bullet holes and any type of blood trail that may have been left behind by out sXs cowboy.

We left the area after a quick glassing session, fully deciding that this herd had been sufficiently put on guard for the foreseeable future from hunting pressure. We went into town, filled up our gas tank, grabbed a couple candy bars and to our surprise the same sXs pulls in to fill up his gas tank right next to my truck. Without missing a beat, I ask the guy if he got that big buck he was chasing down. He was completely surprised by the comment, finally looked at my truck, and sheepishly answered with, "no." I didn't say another word directly to the driver but made some comments to my wife along the lines of how glad I was she didn't accidentally shoot the side by side in XXXXXX BLM area near creek YYYYY when she had that pronghorn in her crosshairs at 250 yards. The guy finished filling his gas tank, took one look back at us, and said "sorry" before he drove off towards the area he was "hunting".

I have been harassed when in a deer stand, guy knew the buck I was hunting and intentionally came in there with his dog to screw me up. Unfortunately jumped the buck I was hunting bedded I. The crp before he got to me. Public land so there was nothing I could do

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back