Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Hunter fatally shot near Kremmling

My son and I went to CO to archery hunt for elk this past season. I couldn't believe they 1) had muzzloader smack in the middle of the archery season but even more incredulous 2) the Muzzy guys had to wear orange but not the archers!!! I made a "flag" for our packs our of a cheap HO vest from walmart and attached it to the back of the pack with small clips. I told my son, while we are very careful to know our target, there are too many people out there that shoot and have no idea what or where they are shooting.

You didn't know that before you went? The orange is so the archery hunters can see the muzzy hunters and stay far away...

After this story, I've been thinking that we all should carry one of those orange "panic" whistles that are insanely loud to signal if the lead starts flying. Safety should take a back seat to notching a tag. Three quick blasts should be the universal signal for "stop shooting."
I can make an F-bomb shout a lot louder and more informative than any orange whistle ever made!

Defendant is Harry Watkins. Initial hearing is 1/13/2022. Motions 2/7/22, trial starts 2/22/22.

Date
Len
Appearance
Name
Hearing Type
Case #
1/13/22
1:15 PM​
15M​
VIRTUAL​
WATKINS, HARRY​
Setting​
D252020CR119​
Grand County​
Div 1
2/7/22
10:30 AM​
5.50Hr​
WATKINS, HARRY​
Motions Hearing​
D252020CR119​
Grand County​
Div 1
2/10/22
1:00 PM​
45M​
WATKINS, HARRY​
Pre-Trial Readiness Conference​
D252020CR119​
Grand County​
Div 1
2/22/22
8:00 AM​
1D​
WATKINS, HARRY​
Jury Trial​
D252020CR119​
Grand County​
Div 1

Last edited:
This is the reason why when we track an animal the lead person has a weapon and nobody else. I know sometimes you have to grid search, but multiple people in close proximity with rifles, when there’s a chance for an animal to jump and startle someone is a recipe for disaster.

I feel horrible for everyone involved in this mess.
Wait! The guy who got shot is standing next to a wounded elk that's down AND REMOVES HIS HUNTER ORANGE! And they're blaming the shooter? The guy who disrobed next to a viable target is the one who was negligent. I think charging the shooter is not only unwarranted, it's downright malicious under the circumstances.

Defendant is Harry Watkins. Initial hearing is 1/13/2022. Motions 2/7/22, trial starts 2/22/22.

Date
Len
Appearance
Name
Hearing Type
Case #
1/13/22
1:15 PM​
15M​
VIRTUAL​
WATKINS, HARRY​
Setting​
D252020CR119​
Grand County​
Div 1
2/7/22
10:30 AM​
5.50Hr​
WATKINS, HARRY​
Motions Hearing​
D252020CR119​
Grand County​
Div 1
2/10/22
1:00 PM​
45M​
WATKINS, HARRY​
Pre-Trial Readiness Conference​
D252020CR119​
Grand County​
Div 1
2/22/22
8:00 AM​
1D​
WATKINS, HARRY​
Jury Trial​
D252020CR119​
Grand County​
Div 1
Thanks for that!

If this accident occurred as reports indicated, a criminal trial might be a good way to clear this fella from having to fight it out in civil court. Even if the dead man's family doesn't want to go after the shooter, his life insurance company might choose to do so. I remember something similar when I was an MP in the Army. Anytime we were involved in a shooting, especially a fatal shooting, there was always a very quick court martial even if the shooting was blatantly justified. It was for the MP's protection. Get him cleared in court martial makes getting a civil court judgment very difficult. Not impossible, as O.J. Simpson discovered.

If this accident occurred as reports indicated, a criminal trial might be a good way to clear this fella from having to fight it out in civil court. Even if the dead man's family doesn't want to go after the shooter, his life insurance company might choose to do so. I remember something similar when I was an MP in the Army. Anytime we were involved in a shooting, especially a fatal shooting, there was always a very quick court martial even if the shooting was blatantly justified. It was for the MP's protection. Get him cleared in court martial makes getting a civil court judgment very difficult. Not impossible, as O.J. Simpson discovered.
Conviction on criminal case requires the prosecution to make a touchdown. A judgment in a civil case requires the plaintiff to pass the 50 yard line. Even if acquitted criminally, the burden of proof is muck lower in the civil arena than the criminal.

Conviction on criminal case requires the prosecution to make a touchdown. A judgment in a civil case requires the plaintiff to pass the 50 yard line. Even if acquitted criminally, the burden of proof is muck lower in the civil arena than the criminal.
True enough. But resolving any criminal negligence will go a long way towards helping him in civil court. Without that innocent verdict, the shooter goes into civil court with a huge cloud of uncertainty hanging over him. If he is not convicted, and if the details are as reported I don't see how he can be, then he stands a much better chance of staving off a civil suit. Lawyers who launch frivolous civil suits can be forced to pay costs if they lose so there's that deterrent too. An innocent verdict gives crackpot ambulance chasers fair warning.

Wait! The guy who got shot is standing next to a wounded elk that's down AND REMOVES HIS HUNTER ORANGE! And they're blaming the shooter? The guy who disrobed next to a viable target is the one who was negligent. I think charging the shooter is not only unwarranted, it's downright malicious under the circumstances.
What part of the firearm rule "Know your target and what is beyond it" is confusing to you?

You didn't know that before you went? The orange is so the archery hunters can see the muzzy hunters and stay far away...
Yes I knew. I contacted a CO to confirm we weren't required to wear it. Of course out in the wilderness miles from a trailhead kept the ATV riding muzzies away. :p

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back