Hunter ethics article

ingomar

This article was published in the Billings Gazette today.

Guest opinion: Hunters, step up to report thieves who take away from our sport

This spike bull, another spike and a cow elk were all found shot and left to waste on a Block Management Area near Whitehall.

7 hours ago • By VITO QUATRARO

Montana Sportsmen Alliance is appalled at the number of illegal and unethical incidents that have occurred since the opening of the general big game rifle season. Between moose poaching, elk shot and left, crippling of elk while shooting into large herds, trespassing to shoot elk, it has become apparent that hunters need to do a much better job policing ourselves.

Those who are killing and leaving the animals behind to rot should not be labeled as hunters, but instead “thieves” and criminals who are stealing from all of us. They are stealing our wildlife, our hunting heritage and the future of hunting from resident Montanans. While it may only be a small percentage of hunters causing the problem, the entire hunting community gets a black eye every time one of these incidents takes place. We cannot tolerate the “slob” hunter who refuses to hunt legally and ethically.

MSA has worked hard during the last four years to protect our wildlife resources, and the sport of hunting, while at the same time working to improve access and relationships with ranchers and other landowners. Ranchers and landowners have every right to be upset when people knowingly trespass to hunt. When it is left to rot, the crime becomes even more reprehensible. It would be impossible to blame landowners who decide to take their property out of Block Management or just close it off to hunting based on what is happening around the state. Access is critical for the sport of hunting and to provide proper wildlife management of our big game species. Every incident and violation can impact a rancher or landowner’s decision as to whether to allow hunting. With today’s GPS technology and available landowner “chips”, that are accurate to within a very short distance, there is no excuse for trespassing.

The Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks only has so many wardens to patrol a very large state. Yet there are thousands of Montana resident hunters who are in the field virtually every day of the general season. We need to be additional eyes and ears of the FWP. When we see violations or unsafe practices, it is our duty to call the proper authorities and report the violation. If we see a blatant violation and say nothing, we are as guilty as those that commit the crime. This is our sport and we have the obligation to protect and enhance the reputation of hunting and hunters.

It is time that the resident hunters stand up for the sport and get involved. Walking away with the attitude that you do not want to get involved is unacceptable! We are not suggesting that you confront the violators, just report to the proper authorities. Your reward will be in the knowledge that you are doing the right thing.

Call 1-800-TIP-MONT (847-6668) or your local sheriff department whenever you see a violation or have information regarding any fish and game violation.

Vito Quatraro of Bozeman collaborated on this commentary with other MSA members, including Joe Perry of Conrad, John Borgreen of Great Falls and J.W. Westman of Park City.

Copyright 2014 The Billings Gazette. All

Read more: http://billingsgazette.com/news/opi...df7-58ef-9397-2449f4e696c7.html#ixzz3IrlPyW3P

That is sad for sure, and needs to be stopped.
I had a hunting partner get mad at me this year, because after watching him sight in his rifle at 200 yards, with only 4 rounds and a paper plate size group, I didn't feel it would be Ethical for him to try a 300 plus yard shoot on a elk, and I wouldn't let him shoot.

Kevin

Last edited:
These criminals are not anymore hunting than shoplifters are shopping. I do not accept poaching to feed the family is right anymore than is right to run out of a grocery store pushing a cart full of beef you did not pay for either.

Stealing is stealing. Criminals deserve punishment for their choices and it is choices they make.

As for the people taking shots at live animals and routinely missing the kill zone, they are merely morons that do not respect the process that is ethically taking an animal's life. More than one camera operator has spoken about the film footage that never makes it onto TV where animals are hit in the leg, etc, at long distances. You see the successful shots. May God have mercy on their souls for being morons.

We generally only hear about the incidents that are put in the paper but there are lots more that never get in the papers. It is up to us as hunters to protect our sport and the resource.

Well Said Vito!

There is certainly something to be said for policing ourselves as hunters, knowing our shooting abilities and keeping our buddies honest.

A few years back, I had a buddy borrowing one of my hunting rifles who insisted to me that he could make a shot on a mule deer at 650 yds. I told him, My rifle, my rules. We spend all day trying to get closer to a few different bucks, we finally did toward dark. With a scope dialed for drop and wind at 258 yds he went 1 for 2 on his buck. Yet he still insists that he could have made the 650 yd shot. I just don't get that mindset... "Let me impress you with my confidence without the ability to back it up." It's sad really... Needless to say, I haven't hunted with them since.

We generally only hear about the incidents that are put in the paper but there are lots more that never get in the papers. It is up to us as hunters to protect our sport and the resource.

So True. My self, and my family have taken 8 Animals over the past 16 years (my hunting career) that have been shot by previous hunters and were still alive. 5 Antelope Bucks, 2 Mule Deer and A 5pt Elk. On only 3 of these animals was the meat edible. On the other 5 we were instructed not to eat the meat since the wounds were gangrenous and the infections systematic.

4 of those 8 were failed head shots, 3 were shot in a hind quarter and the bull had 8" of arrow in his front leg below the shoulder. I know that people make mistakes, but I'm really tired of averaging sloppy seconds once every other year.

So True. My self, and my family have taken 8 Animals over the past 16 years (my hunting career) that have been shot by previous hunters and were still alive. 5 Antelope Bucks, 2 Mule Deer and A 5pt Elk. On only 3 of these animals was the meat edible. On the other 5 we were instructed not to eat the meat since the wounds were gangrenous and the infections systematic.

4 of those 8 were failed head shots, 3 were shot in a hind quarter and the bull had 8" of arrow in his front leg below the shoulder. I know that people make mistakes, but I'm really tired of averaging sloppy seconds once every other year.

Did you check if MFWP will give you a new tag for an inedible animal?

Seems like a common gripe in every state is not enough wardens.

Did you check if MFWP will give you a new tag for an inedible animal?

Seems like a common gripe in every state is not enough wardens.

In this regard, I have no complaints about warden numbers.

We didn't get replacement tags for any of them, most were either OK to eat, or too late in the season... When I shot the 5pt bull, I had cell coverage as was on the phone TIPMONT immediately. They gave me the cell phone for the the Warden for that areas who instructed me not to tag it, not touch it and keep hunting. I don't have the horns or ivories from that bull, but I got to keep my tag and keep hunting. Two of the antelope were taken on the last day of rifle season in Montana, so a replacement tag wasn't really an option... both of the Mule Deer were taken Thanksgiving weekend, so again, it would take too long to get a replacement tag. The other three were Antelope that were shot in the head, the meat was fine on these. So, No replacement tags needed. From what I remember it takes about a week to get a replacement tag from MTFWP if you tag the animal, and if memory serves me correct, you have to surrender the horns and the carcass. I don't remember the exact process, but I believe it involves transporting the animal to an FWP Regional main office and they send a report to Helena and the tag has to be mailed to you from Helena.

My suggestion is to call the warden for that area before you tag it if you have cell coverage, or can find cell coverage. In those situations, we have been instructed to leave the animal, not field dress it, not take the horns or any "trophies" from the animal and keep hunting; and that the warden would follow up and take possession of the horns when they could get to the area. Definitely no issues with that process. The Elk was the most recent occurrence, and this is my new SOP should I find myself in this situation again.

The poachers and dirt bags are not hunters but they give everyone a black eye as a result of their actions. The only way to curb these actions is for the Legislature to create severe penalty's for these crimes. Not the little fine of 2 or 3 hundred dollars or taking hunting privileges away heck they are not hunters they are criminals. There needs to be severe penalty's like sitting their miserable ass's in jail for 6 months to a year. The well to do laugh at the fines and do it again. They would think twice about it if they had to share a cell with Bubba bad breath.
I worked in the criminal justice system for 28 years and folks it's a joke at times and the laws for fish and game are a joke when it comes to justice. If you have money your free to shoot and pay then go. It stinks!!!!
OKAY I feel better now :)
Dan

Found this in an old article on shed poachers in Yellowstone park.

By mid-May, park rangers had arrested 15 horn hunters this year. If found guilty, they could face up to six months in jail and a $500 fine. But many hunters have not been deterred - they have refined their tactics. Often working in groups of two and three, the hunters scour the park, stashing piles of antlers alongside isolated stretches of road and returning later in cars to collect them.

The threat of jail time instead of just fines would be a big improvement in stopping poaching. There may be jail time possible already, but it seems all the prosecutors are ever going for on the cases I've seen are fines and revocation of privledges only.

Found a more current article. Looks like the fine is up to $5,000 now.

The possession, removal, digging, defacing, or disturbing of natural or cultural features from national parks is prohibited by law and subject to fines up to $5,000 and up to six months in jail.

So... Pulling Sheds out of a National park you are looking at the possibility of 6mo Jail/probation.

Wasting an Elk you might loose hunting privileges for a year or two... Does that seem Skewed to anyone else? Shouldn't the penalty for Poaching or Wasting an elk be WAY STEEPER than illegal shed hunting?????

I get that the fines might be higher, but shouldn't there be the threat/possibility of significantly more jail time for poaching an elk than taking sheds?

That is seriously skewed.

This topic is disturbing, and I agree 100% that as ethical hunters, we need to start policing ourselves.

I know I've had enough and just 2 weeks ago I reported 5 poachers while I was working in Idaho for illegally killing a cow elk. I had multiple photographs of their trucks, them, the dead elk, gps coordinates, driving off road illegally on a national monument.

I'm still actively following up on the illegal off-road travel which if nothing is done will be pushed up the chain of command until I get answers.

I handed all the information over to the IDFG and it was dealt with swiftly. I also qualified for their CAP program and just this morning called in to collect on the program (which I found out today a past hunttalk member helped set up).

I will be donating the money back to the AccessYes program as I didn't turn in the dirt bags to collect a reward...I did it because this type of shit has got to stop.

I find it a bitter pill to swallow when hunters blame predators, weather, lack of winter range, etc. for lack of game...then turn a blind eye to poaching as if what they do is akin to speeding on the highway.

Always carry a camera, a pen/paper, and get good information. The better the information the more likely these clowns are to find themselves on the losing end and the more vigorously the GF agencies will follow up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyaddof
Back