Hunter attacked by dogs.

True. Why?
I would imagine because they are big, powerful and intimidating. My female is a sweetheart, but I bet not many would have the balls to open our gate and walk in. I was working out of town when some weirdo knocked on our door. The wife asked him to leave and he persisted with his babbling drunken religious pitch. When our Rottweiler made an appearance he couldn't leave fast enough. mtmuley

Interesting you should mention your experience with cats recently. I just saw this article yesterday about the cat colonies in the Missoula area. I can't imagine a colony of 25+ feral cats not having a significant impact on local wildlife.

excerpt:

In a phone call to AniMeals, a no-kill adoption center and nonprofit animal foodbank, Schutze learned that more than 50 cat colonies are projected to live in Missoula, with an average of 25 cats per colony. They often can be found settled with unhoused people, with a colony of 66 cats discovered in 2022 when police broke up an encampment by the Reserve Street bridge.

Although it is well known that cats have significantly impacted the populations of native bird populations, there is a growing body of research that indicates they adversely impact a wide variety of other species. The American Bird Conservancy contends cats have contributed to the extinction of 63 species of birds, mammals and reptiles in the wild. This phenomenon of another species roaming around in the wild could change the behavior of wildlife species within city limits and the wildlife landscape.

“Cats can create what is known as a ‘landscape of fear,’” said Schutze. “A cat’s mere presence in an animal’s habitat could be enough for a mammal to avoid an area, a bird to abandon their nest or even attract other potential predators to the area.”

That is really incredible.

I don’t want to derail the thread, but I find it hard to imagine a solution that doesn’t involve breaking what really is a cultural tradition - of allowing cats to roam freely.

What the chart does not take into account is how the dog was raised. Many Pitbulls are raised to be a macho-man's dog, baddest on the street, and a substantial percentage of those are allowed or encouraged to fight. Get the fighting dog count out of there, and I would wager those numbers would come down by 95%, falling right in line with the other numbers. The chart doesn't describe the time over which those numbers were obtained, and if stacked over say 10 years makes the numbers look far more fearsome.

I would guess that the large majority of dogs up for adoption in local shelters here are pitbull and something mixes - from chihuahuas (really!) to labs.

David
NM

Interesting to note that German shepherds are knocked out of third if you add mixed breeds and unknowns together.

Best things for cats is to sterilize and turn loose in large cities. Not sure how well known it is that large cities are infested with rats, but its a real condition.
Best 2 things for any outdoor cats are:

1. Close to buildings a .22 short or a 3" .410 with 6 shot.

2. In safe areas a 55 grain ballistic tip from a 22-250 or equivalent.

We have always had dog problems in this area. People let their dogs out to run during hunting season. It's against a law for dogs to be out running. If I saw a dog running the property i'd find out Who owned the dog and I would tell them they need to keep their dog locked up during hunting season. I also told them if it was a repeated offense, if I saw the dog again They would not see that dog again. I would make sure we had a good understanding.
My son and I are currently dealing with a small pack of 4 wild dogs. Hopefully get them in the coon and coyote traps.

Had a small pack many years ago. Got the approval from the sheriff to take care of it. Open fields and trucks with shotguns. Problem solved. This has been probably 40 years ago so things are different now. I might contact the owner if I knew who they were but I would keep my mouth shut about killing them. Too many problems I wouldn't want to deal with.

What the chart does not take into account is how the dog was raised. Many Pitbulls are raised to be a macho-man's dog, baddest on the street, and a substantial percentage of those are allowed or encouraged to fight. Get the fighting dog count out of there, and I would wager those numbers would come down by 95%, falling right in line with the other numbers. The chart doesn't describe the time over which those numbers were obtained, and if stacked over say 10 years makes the numbers look far more fearsome.

I would guess that the large majority of dogs up for adoption in local shelters here are pitbull and something mixes - from chihuahuas (really!) to labs.

David
NM

Has the whole dog culture in America gotten out of hand? I am not a dog person and really don't understand the draw of having one unless it serves a functional purpose (ranch work, hunting, etc.). The amount of times a 'friendly' dog has jumped up on me or my 2 yr old is infuriating. Granted, these dogs don't bite, but how am I to know that when he runs up to my wife, my small kids or me? And, if I push the dog away I'm the asshole.

Has the whole dog culture in America gotten out of hand? I am not a dog person and really don't understand the draw of having one unless it serves a functional purpose (ranch work, hunting, etc.). The amount of times a 'friendly' dog has jumped up on me or my 2 yr old is infuriating. Granted, these dogs don't bite, but how am I to know that when he runs up to my wife, my small kids or me? And, if I push the dog away I'm the asshole.
You're right. Push the kid, instead.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back