Caribou Gear Tarp

Hunter attacked by dogs.

That situation sucks.

I've had two situations where I thought I would have to shoot sheep protection dogs on public land. I hate those things.

Both times a Peruvian herder heard me screaming at them and was able to come and call them off.

I'd be gun shy of being in the woods for a while after that, feel sorry for that guy. Wonder how many posts before someone brings up the "its how they're raised/shitty owners" bullshit
Well they'd be right.

Been around pits and rottweilers a lot. They certainly have a high potential to do harm - but raised properly im not sure theres a better family dog.
If you use Vortex optics you'll always have an iron clad alibi if you accidentally kill a pooch.
Can you fill me in? I thought the only iron clad alibi for dog murder was the atf.

Been around pits and rottweilers a lot. They certainly have a high potential to do harm - but raised properly im not sure theres a better family dog.
I've had Rottweilers for close to 40 years. Don't know much about pits, but Rotts are extremely intelligent, fiercely loyal and goofballs all at the same time. Have a year old female now. She's shaping up well. And the intimidation factor is huge. mtmuley

I've had Rottweilers for close to 40 years. Don't know much about pits, but Rotts are extremely intelligent, fiercely loyal and goofballs all at the same time. Have a year old female now. She's shaping up well. And the intimidation factor is huge. mtmuley
Best dog ive ever had was an adopted pitty. "Lab mix" was the best lie id ever been told. Dad had rots growing up - of all the ones he owned (4) - only one even had the disposotion to be defensive/protective and i am not even certain the dog would really harm someone. Even if forced.

Cool to agree with you for a change.

Just a general awareness that I have come across in the last year through exploring trapping is that there are dogs and cats at large all over the goddamn place.

For the last 20 years, I have used trail cameras to look at elk and deer, and whatever else comes across. This last year, I set cameras in places that were not great for deer or elk, and were more focused on rock ledges and overhangs. I’d put a piece of antler with bobcat lure in a smaller field of view. Though I was exploring areas in the “frontcountry”, well over a mile from the nearest house, I got way more dogs and cats than I expected.

Further, when I was in high school, I was really into rabbit hunting. I know rabbits have cyclical populations, but I figured in trying to trap bobcats I would trap around the great “rabbitat” of my youth. In some of those those places, checking my traps every two days and seeing practically no rabbits compared to what there once was, I genuinely think a part of that is due to feral domestic cats running the landscape. They were more prevalent than the rabbits.

When it comes to the discussion about dog breeds, the chart Randy11 shared kind of tells the tale for me. Of course, so much of a dog is how it is raised, it’s familial line, etc. But really one of the big cruxes is what it’s capable of when it snaps. If a cocker spaniel snaps on you, you might get nipped, but if a dog bred for violence snaps on you, depending on the person’s physical condition, it could be a tossup. It’s not even personal to the breed, but rather a function of statistics. Even human beings snap from time to time.

Last edited:
Just a general awareness that I have come across in the last year through exploring trapping is that there are dogs and cats at large all over the goddamn place.

For the last 20 years, I have used trail cameras to look at elk and deer, and whatever else comes across. This last year, I set cameras in places that were not great for deer or elk, and were more focused on rock ledges and overhangs. I’d put a piece of antler with bobcat lure in a smaller field of view. Though I was exploring areas in the “frontcountry”, well over a mile from the nearest house, I got way more dogs and cats than I expected.

Further, when I was in high school, I was really into rabbit hunting. I know rabbits have cyclical populations, but I figured in trying to trap bobcats I would trap around the great “rabbitat” of my youth. In some of those those places, checking my traps every two days and seeing practically no rabbits compared to what there once was, I genuinely think a part of that is due to feral domestic cats running the landscape. They were more prevalent than the rabbits.

When it comes to the discussion about dog breeds, the chart Randy11 shared kind of tells the tale for me. Of course, so much of a dog is how it is raised, it’s familial line, etc. But really one of the big cruxes is what it’s capable of when it snaps. If a cocker spaniel snaps on you, you might get nipped, but if a dog bred for violence snaps on you, depending on the person’s physical condition, it could be a tossup. It’s not even personal to the breed, but rather a function of statistics. Even human beings snap from time to time.

Interesting you should mention your experience with cats recently. I just saw this article yesterday about the cat colonies in the Missoula area. I can't imagine a colony of 25+ feral cats not having a significant impact on local wildlife.

excerpt:

In a phone call to AniMeals, a no-kill adoption center and nonprofit animal foodbank, Schutze learned that more than 50 cat colonies are projected to live in Missoula, with an average of 25 cats per colony. They often can be found settled with unhoused people, with a colony of 66 cats discovered in 2022 when police broke up an encampment by the Reserve Street bridge.

Although it is well known that cats have significantly impacted the populations of native bird populations, there is a growing body of research that indicates they adversely impact a wide variety of other species. The American Bird Conservancy contends cats have contributed to the extinction of 63 species of birds, mammals and reptiles in the wild. This phenomenon of another species roaming around in the wild could change the behavior of wildlife species within city limits and the wildlife landscape.

“Cats can create what is known as a ‘landscape of fear,’” said Schutze. “A cat’s mere presence in an animal’s habitat could be enough for a mammal to avoid an area, a bird to abandon their nest or even attract other potential predators to the area.”

Interesting to note that German shepherds are knocked out of third if you add mixed breeds and unknowns together.

Best things for cats is to sterilize and turn loose in large cities. Not sure how well known it is that large cities are infested with rats, but its a real condition.

Interesting to note that German shepherds are knocked out of third if you add mixed breeds and unknowns together.

Best things for cats is to sterilize and turn loose in large cities. Not sure how well known it is that large cities are infested with rats, but its a real condition.
Some of those rats are as big as the cats. Didn't believe it til I saw it.

In my opinion, the ones that maul people to death way less would be a better choice for a family dog.
Indeed though some parents hand 16 year olds a fast car so I let Darwin do his thing. Unfortunately, the people harmed and killed when Junior loses control of the car or Fido chews up a neighbor don’t get a vote on the decision that then alters their family forever.

In my opinion, the ones that maul people to death way less would be a better choice for a family dog.
An uncontrolled dog is an unsafe one.

Belgians and german shepards arent known for being "harmful" dogs like pits/rots but military and police use them exclusively - the ones in the military are literally trained to kill. A lot of people own these dogs and never think twice about that.

Pits and rots are popular in dogfighting and gang circles....

Last edited:
Back