Hunt utah

Trevort

I would like to see Randy elk hunt over the counter in utah for rifle or bow.

Because it is one of the few places out west that he has not hunted except for one time with a limited entry tag. Over the counter tags are harder. Utah manages its game for older age classes but only opens those areas for limited entry tags. If he could get a bull with so much pressure in a over the counter area then maybe a new hunter such as myself could pick up some good tips, utah is my home state.

Hes hunted plenty of OTC tags in other states that have low success rates and been successful. You could always watch those hunts and apply them to your situation rather than waiting for him to do a similar hunt in Utah. I don't know how Utah points and draws work, but I'm guessing if he's building points there you may not see him hunt OTC elk anytime soon.

Hes hunted plenty of OTC tags in other states that have low success rates and been successful. You could always watch those hunts and apply them to your situation rather than waiting for him to do a similar hunt in Utah. I don't know how Utah points and draws work, but I'm guessing if he's building points there you may not see him hunt OTC elk anytime soon.

I believe he is still in the "penalty box" in Utah because he drew less than 5 years ago. OTC and limited entry do not affect each other in Utah. I would also like to see an episode of him hunting OTC in Utah but its pretty easy for him to pull better tags elsewhere. Since moving from Utah I miss hunting OTC there, but other opportunities are SO much better that I can't justify it.

Because you can. Because it's public land. Because it's a shorter drive from bozeman to Utah, than it is to Arizona. Because we have dairy queen.

But having said that. We only have elk on San Juan, Boulder, and Monroe. Rest of the state is void of elk, on second thought I agree, you shouldn't hunt OTC in Utah.

Because you can. Because it's public land. Because it's a shorter drive from bozeman to Utah, than it is to Arizona. Because we have dairy queen.

But having said that. We only have elk on San Juan, Boulder, and Monroe. Rest of the state is void of elk, on second thought I agree, you shouldn't hunt OTC in Utah.

Not sure Randy needs B-roll footage that bad.

After my Utah experience this year on a limited tag, I'm sticking to CO for my OTC hunt. Utah is far more crowded, IMHO.

Now for a limited tag different story, I'm crossing my fingers I will one day be so lucky.

Last edited:
That's exactly why I want him to hunt here because the otc hunts are not that great but with enough research a quality hunt can be had, different tactics are needed and that is the reality that all new hunters have. Most of us cant afford to hunt out of state or it's not worth investing the money into because we are still learning how to hunt. His show and pod cast are one of the best references to learn how to hunt if you dont have a mentor.

That's exactly why I want him to hunt here because the otc hunts are not that great but with enough research a quality hunt can be had, different tactics are needed and that is the reality that all new hunters have. Most of us cant afford to hunt out of state or it's not worth investing the money into because we are still learning how to hunt. His show and pod cast are one of the best references to learn how to hunt if you dont have a mentor.

Pretty hard to film 10-12 episodes eg hunts, if you have to sink all your time into making a crappy one work.

Just is what it is... though I do understand your point. I doubt you will ever see Randy or Meateater film a big game hunt in OR, WA, or UT that isn't a extremely good limited tag. The WA elk meateater episode is likely to be the only big game hunt to be filmed by either Randy or Rinella in that state ever.

All that being said, all the pieces you are looking for are their in Randy's hunts in other states and you just have to apply them to Utah. The different stages of the season, Pre-Rut, Rut, etc what needs elk have in each of these, elk not wanted to be near roads, etc etc are all just as applicable in Utah as CO, WY, MT, and NM.

I hunted UT this year with a buddy, elk were exactly where I thought they would be from escouting, which was exactly where they would be in CO. Near the food and water, away from folks with guns.

didnt Randy hunt elk in utah on an early archery tag in a not so great unit? was that not an OTC hunt?

oh ok. my bad All i could remember about it was that it might be the only episode i haven’t watched multiple times

That's the boat I'm in. Don't have a mentor and cant afford to go out of state. Been twice now and no luck, it's definitely tough hunting around, especially for beginners.

That's the boat I'm in. Don't have a mentor and cant afford to go out of state. Been twice now and no luck, it's definitely tough hunting around, especially for beginners.
Do you hunt upland/small game? They are a very good way for beginners to learn about hunting. Also, the Anterless Draw in UT is coming up!

PS- General season, especially elk, is tough.

I think how hard it is depends on if you are hunting Spike Only Units or the Any Bull Units. I feel like the spike only units are very easy to hunt since you are hunting the limited entry units that hold lots and lots of elk but you are just limited to shooting a spike (or a cow if you are archery hunting.) It can be crowded but I feel like every hunt is unless you are willing to put in the miles and get away from the roads. The any bull units are a different story entirely, I have yet to even see an elk on the couple of different any bull units I've hunted and I have spent plenty of time looking! They are there though, I know some guys that have consistently killed elk up in the Uintas and other places and have seen some trail cam pics of bulls that are absolute giants but they usually spend months scouting, hanging cameras, tree stands and such. Randy seems like he doesn't have time to do that sort of scouting and so unless he got very lucky it would most likely be a very boring episode of him just wandering around trying just to find elk. Not going to lie though I would love to see him prove me wrong!

Back