Hunt the Female Big 3 or maybe never draw a tag

CO Ewe Tag or CO Antler-less Moose?

• Ewe Tag

• Antlerless Moose

• Keep putting in for less than 1% odds for a male of the species.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yep I am struggling with indecision about what I wanted to do this year, because 2021 was a bust of a hunting season for me so I was curious about other people’s experiences doing these hunts. Reading Dsnow9 nanny story put me over the edge. I am going to hunt some ladies. We will see which one i end up drawing.

Yep I am struggling with indecision about what I wanted to do this year, because 2021 was a bust of a hunting season for me so I was curious about other people’s experiences doing these hunts. Reading Dsnow9 nanny story put me over the edge. I am going to hunt some ladies. We will see which one i end up drawing.
good luck droppin bombs on moms ;)

Definitely do not hesitate to put in for a nanny tag. A good percentage of people that draw either sex tags kill one anyways
I have always wondered about that, but never looked it up. What percentage are we talking? I couldn't imagine waiting a lifetime to get a tag and then shooting a ewe.

As to to the OP, go for it. Halfway is better than no way.

I know the tags are sill expensive but im looking into ewe tags myself been trying for ram tags in Idaho for yrs due to no point state figuring same chance as any NR but changing up things having a ewe tag is still sheep hunting
In the case of CO moose, you could get a moose tag + a flight + baggage fees in AK for the price of a CO NR cow tag.

Now I think a AK NR DIY moose hunt probably has something like a 10% success rate versus 80% while truck hunting moose in CO.

In the case of CO moose, you could get a moose tag + a flight + baggage fees in AK for the price of a CO NR cow tag.

Now I think a AK NR DIY moose hunt probably has something like a 10% success rate versus 80% while truck hunting moose in CO.
Success rates that low in Alaska? I had no idea, for whatever reason I was under the impression success rate was much better than that

Success rates that low in Alaska? I had no idea, for whatever reason I was under the impression success rate was much better than that
You are restricted to 3 or 4 brow tines or 50 inches in most units. That’s approximately a 6 years old animal or older.

I’m talking DIY shoe string budget, not spending $20k.

You are restricted to 3 or 4 brow tines or 50 inches in most units. That’s approximately a 6 years old animal or older.

I’m talking DIY shoe string budget, not spending $20k.
Makes sense, I didn't consider size restrictions. Don't know much about Alaska moose.

I have always wondered about that, but never looked it up. What percentage are we talking? I couldn't imagine waiting a lifetime to get a tag and then shooting a ewe.

As to to the OP, go for it. Halfway is better than no way.
I don’t know what the percentage is but you sure see a lot of it.

I’m not that into the idea of cow moose hunting for the reason that most cows will have calves. Personally I wouldn’t shoot a cow with a calf or even the calf for that matter.

No ragrets, but I still put in for rams/bulls in my home state.
My wife gets ewe/nanny/cow apps because she doesn't care about horns and antlers (I'm noticing a theme...)
The second one looks like a world record contender to me.

I had an Idaho anterless moose tag n 2016. I hunted the tag, but the whole time I had "It's just a cow" stuck in my head. I had one shot opportunity and it went wrong because I tried to get closer and she winded me.

Long story short, I wish I had focused on that hunt more. Anterless tags are becoming a thing of the past and I will likely not get another one.

Keep in mind that there atleast one hunt code in the crazies that is nanny only
Here's the thing....

Colorado has 28 nanny tags total. If 300 people read this thread and decide to put in that means it will take 10 years longer to draw a tag.

We aren't talking cow elk, or doe tags.

There were 3000 new goat applicants when they went to free points in Colorado.

Hey everyone, I'm new here (and obviously late to the party), but I figured I'd throw my 2 cents in.

I spent 3 points in Colorado to draw a nonresident bighorn ewe tag in 2019. Besides the tag fee, I also hired a guide due to a lack of time, resources, available hunting companions, and experience on my part. It was a very expensive adventure.

The hunt was everything I hoped it would be - highs, lows, and ultimately, success. In a short 3 day timespan, I experienced a failed stalk, a lightning storm, a scare when I thought I was getting altitude sickness (though I'm pretty sure I was just winded, haha) and finally, the culmination of the hunt when I was able to harvest a beautiful ewe out of a small herd. All the while, spending time in some of the most incredible country I've ever seen.

I had a euro mount done, and I smile every time I see it on my wall. If I could go back, I absolutely would not change a thing.

I understand that a ewe tag isn't appealing to everyone, but if it's appealing to you, I say go for it and don't delay! I'm glad I didn't wait any longer than I did. Since then, I've had a knee injury, some pretty significant career changes, and other happenings in life that make it harder for me to do things like that.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back