Hunt Talker 2023 Fitness Goals

Got into running over COVID when I was put on part time for 9 months, as a way to get out of the house with a new baby in a running stroller. Pr'd 5k over the weekend 19:11 at 33 years old. My previous pr was 19:52 at 17. Up until about 9 months ago I never thought that pr would fall

Onward

Got into running over COVID when I was put on part time for 9 months, as a way to get out of the house with a new baby in a running stroller. Pr'd 5k over the weekend 19:11 at 33 years old. My previous pr was 19:52 at 17. Up until about 9 months ago I never thought that pr would fall

Onward
That's awesome! Keep it up! 18s are very close. You're already putting up great times!

Takeaway: having some people to share accountability helps. I need to do it more Often.

Accountability check in #2
1) current weight 175; fit into jeans I bought 15 years ago much better. Stopped tracking food calories; but will probably use the tool to set up my hunting meals when in field.

50BC010F-3DD4-476F-9827-A3A530887E81.jpeg

2) still 6 of 10 Hours per week exercise (any kind). There is a 4 week pattern here relates to these check ins, where I get close to 10 hours then it starts tapering down by 1 hr per week.
DAFAA1AC-EE37-4D5B-8146-2DEA97C78F9B.jpeg

3) steady at 7 hr sleep per night. Been going to bed earlier but also waking up at 430-500 to train with MTNTOUGH program. Kids not being sick really helps with this.
353CF28B-BD0F-40B9-9246-E4391674A34D.jpeg

4) 268 mi of 2,200 mi for annual distance goal. Now 291 mi behind. Winter lends itself to weights, hiking with snowshoes or when weather good, and skiing. Once biking season begins this should increase. Also been hitting weight training goals with MTNTOUGH.

4C48F8AE-55E5-4063-BF98-B07A40ADF88F.jpeg
Now, if you’ve read this much, thanks for being involved and supporting accountability. I’m going to take a couple week break getting the snip this Friday. 3 kids is enough for us! Will be back and going after tax day
Accountability check in
1. Current weight 179; down 9 lbs since beginning of year. Been using my fitness pal and 2-300 calorie deficit per day
2. 6 of 10 hrs per week exercise. Always short on weights.
3. 7 hr/night of sleep. Been cutting down screen time beforehand using functionality of iPhone. Work and kids cut it short sometimes
4. 150/2200 mi. 180 short. Been hiking and backcountry skiing more which are lower distances. Need to start biking but it’s too cold! This is why I have a time based goal as primary.

Attachments

• 64024025-9B8D-4429-A1B4-E4B7D442FF33.jpeg
    64024025-9B8D-4429-A1B4-E4B7D442FF33.jpeg
    117.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Takeaway: having some people to share accountability helps. I need to do it more Often.

Accountability check in #2
1) current weight 175; fit into jeans I bought 15 years ago much better. Stopped tracking food calories; but will probably use the tool to set up my hunting meals when in field.

View attachment 270844

2) still 6 of 10 Hours per week exercise (any kind). There is a 4 week pattern here relates to these check ins, where I get close to 10 hours then it starts tapering down by 1 hr per week.
View attachment 270847

3) steady at 7 hr sleep per night. Been going to bed earlier but also waking up at 430-500 to train with MTNTOUGH program. Kids not being sick really helps with this.
View attachment 270840

4) 268 mi of 2,200 mi for annual distance goal. Now 291 mi behind. Winter lends itself to weights, hiking with snowshoes or when weather good, and skiing. Once biking season begins this should increase. Also been hitting weight training goals with MTNTOUGH.

View attachment 270841
Now, if you’ve read this much, thanks for being involved and supporting accountability. I’m going to take a couple week break getting the snip this Friday. 3 kids is enough for us! Will be back and going after tax day
The day you pay off your student loans, the day you obtain financial security, the day you get a vasectomy, all tear worthy milestones in the life of a well know member.
Congratulations! 😉

@Bullshot Yes a night brace went to an ortho and thought I could get a shot of cortisone or something. He gave me the brace instead and that helped tremendously. That was four years ago haven't had any problem since. Before that I was hobbling all over the place.

Last edited:
i used to look at 30-40 year olds with extreme judgement as to how anyone could possibly allow themselves to become so unfit. i get it now.

but, like anything, kids or not, it's a matter of priorities. if it matters you can and will be fit and healthy.
Yep. You just have to make time for yourself. I raised three boys but my wife and I made sure we had time to take care of ourselves. At one point I was going to the gym or getting miles in by getting up at 4:00 am. Sucked but I made it a priority. 60 now and I work hard to make sure I can keep up with those boys who hunt hard.

I’m a little late to this party. However, sharing your goals creates accountability and that helps to stay committed.

I turn 40 this year and set a goal that by the end of the year I will be the healthiest I’ve been as a post-college adult. Therefore I’m dropping 60+lbs by 12/31.

If all goes well, I’ll draw CO elk and mule deer. My wife is on this journey with me and I’ve already put the deposit on an end of year beach vacation to celebrate hitting our goals.

I’ve set milestones for myself throughout the year that celebrate key milestones. If I don’t hit my milestones I don’t celebrate. For example, I’m slated to hunt turkeys in Tennessee at the end of April and when I planned that trip I set a goal of being down 20lbs when I leave. For Michigan turkeys and fishing 25lbs. For CO elk and deer, 40lbs. Beach vacation at the end of the year, 60+lbs.

Thank goodness I’m down 23lbs! I would have been sick if I had to cancel my first celebration!

(head hanging low) I am doing the post of shame here. Up 2-3 pounds since January. But....but....this is a terrible time of year for me and the weather has been just horrific. I lose weight by rucking with the dog and as I look out at 35 mph winds and snow, I just put it off until tomorrow! The good news is, I haven't gained as much as i usually do. We have hit the 40s 1 or 2 days since November. But next week my weather app says "50s". Not sure even what that would that means. 50s? As in degrees? I did go for a couple of snowshoeing excursions last weekend. I am starting.....

Nicely done! I'm slowly coming around on rowing, used to absolutely hate it but lately it's felt good
You know, me too! I have to plug Waterrower rowers, most natural row out there. I thought my wife bought overpriced pretty equipment just because of that, but I much appreciate it now.

I need to hop on this thread and make some improvements. I'm late 30s, about 205lb and goal is to be in the 187-193 range. But I think I'm going to focus on the exercise side of things. I play beer league hockey 2x a week so have some baseline fitness to draw from but that's it. I think a 25min 5k sounds like a good goal. I'm gonna run a 5k later this morning to see where I'm at. It won't be pretty. I'll report back.

No worries buddy, after watching Yellowstone and the 12 spin offs I’m realizing you 9th Gen guys have a lot of trama to work through.

Namaste 🙏
My dad and i would watch Yellowstone together but the last season of yellow stone pisses me off. It basically turned into CMT music videos. Instead of following a story it's just drinking, sex and country music. BTW Rip is a simp.

Back