Yeti GOBOX Collection

Hunt Talker 2023 Fitness Goals

i've finally started tuning in to a new regime that works with having a baby at home, so i'm starting to be back on track.

i thought i'd be able to get my workouts in every day as soon as i got home, 30-45 minutes of running and some weights, it just wasn't working. it's impossible with the baby and the motivation upon arriving home from work is literally negative.

i just had to swallow the bitter pill and accept that i need to sign up for a more expensive gym that's a mile from my office and take extended lunch breaks and add on a little time to my work day to make up for it.

stair climber every day at a minimum of 20 minutes and no less than 200 watts and i like to progress up to 300 watts throughout the 20 minutes, squats every day, push ups every day, pull ups every day, and various rotating other upper body to round myself out.

there are a few spots to get some trail runs in near the office, unfortunately not very hilly, but that i'll start throwing in the mix as the weather gets better and things stop being muddy.

as expected 2-3 weeks of lifting and squatting and eating more already has me pushing 3-4 lbs of weight gain. i don't want to breach 185. my wife wants me at like 190 cause i guess being buff is hot, screw that tho.

progress feels good. first time i've felt any degree of fit in like 9 months

Last edited:
i would get second opinions from multiple doctors that review your blood work.

i'm of the opinion that dietary cholesterol is of no concern to the human body, it usually a carb/sugar issue, but that's my opinion, and i'm obviously not a doctor.

no reason diet and exercise won't get it under control regardless.
yeah I am right there with you. was caught off guard that my very first (borderline) high results were met with "here takes these meds". I've reached out to a few doctor friends of mine with my results and so far it's 50/50 on whether or not to take the meds, with the greatest driver of the med pushing being family heart history.

I think i'll give it 90 days of hard work and attention and lifestyle tweaks and retest before I start popping pills

yeah I am right there with you. was caught off guard that my very first (borderline) high results were met with "here takes these meds". I've reached out to a few doctor friends of mine with my results and so far it's 50/50 on whether or not to take the meds, with the greatest driver of the med pushing being family heart history.

I think i'll give it 90 days of hard work and attention and lifestyle tweaks and retest before I start popping pills

it's definitely not a thing to screw around with with family history. but man, meds should be a last resort, especially because they'll dull any motivation to fix things the "proper" way.

i remember back when my dad was starting to struggle with high blood pressure, high triglycerides, and high cholesterol in his mid forties, he went all in on zero sugar, like religiously, and drastically limited his simple carb intake. it fixed all of it.

Since the last week of January I'm down 10lbs. Slow & steady loss just as I sat out to do through daily fasting and at home calisthenics.
Woodcock banding season will start soon further increasing time already hiking through the brush. I'll start running soon. I'm optimistic of reaching my goal weight by September but I'm realistic that this is a lifestyle change and will continue on either way.

I would guess the greatest driver of promoting the meds is the doctor's real world experience that most people will not actually make any significant change to diet or exercise (empty promises), so meds are the more likely thing to have a positive effect.

QQ

I found this podcast to be pretty informative on that subject and the pros and cons of statins, timestamps are pretty accurate if you don't want to listen to the whole thing...

i've finally started tuning in to a new regime that works with having a baby at home, so i'm starting to be back on track.

i thought i'd be able to get my workouts in every day as soon as i got home, 30-45 minutes of running and some weights, it just wasn't working. it's impossible with the baby and the motivation upon arriving home from work is literally negative.

i just had to swallow the bitter pill and accept that i need to sign up for a more expensive gym that's a mile from my office and take extended lunch breaks and add on a little time to my work day to make up for it.

stair climber every day at a minimum of 20 minutes and no less than 200 watts and i like to progress up to 300 watts throughout the 20 minutes, squats every day, push ups every day, pull ups every day, and various rotating other upper body to round myself out.

there are a few spots to get some trail runs in near the office, unfortunately not very hilly, but that i'll start throwing in the mix as the weather gets better and things stop being muddy.

as expected 2-3 weeks of lifting and squatting and eating more already has me pushing 3-4 lbs of weight gain. i don't want to breach 185. my wife wants me at like 190 cause i guess being buff is hot, screw that tho.

progress feels good. first time i've felt any degree of fit in like 9 months
Bro, it’s ok, just different from when we didn’t have dependents! Good on you for adapting. I find small moments to exercise. Like the bottle warmer. That’s about 5min where I can hit calisthenics or stretching. Haven’t planked the duration of bottle warming yet which is a goal.

Bro, it’s ok, just different from when we didn’t have dependents! Good on you for adapting. I find small moments to exercise. Like the bottle warmer. That’s about 5min where I can hit calisthenics or stretching. Haven’t planked the duration of bottle warming yet which is a goal.

i used to look at 30-40 year olds with extreme judgement as to how anyone could possibly allow themselves to become so unfit. i get it now.

but, like anything, kids or not, it's a matter of priorities. if it matters you can and will be fit and healthy.

I was surprised by high cholesterol results a few years back as well and finally this year got serious about it. In my case no family history of heart issues but as I am fit and eat relatively well it’s seemed odd. (Currently 36) I am taking a much harder line on diet - limiting sugar and simple carbs - and eating only real un processed foods and then rather then testing once a year i am gonna test every few months and see how things are going - it’s cheap to do. $8 or so. But would be good to know what your specific numbers were too? - total cholesterol isn’t super valuable it seems. For me my triglycerides are pretty low but my LDL and appo b are both high while my HDL is not. I’ll let you know how it goes.

The huberman podcast with Dr Attia (Linked to above) did make me feel like statins might be a good call in certain instances though - but certainly not in place of improving diet and exercise.

I was surprised by high cholesterol results a few years back as well and finally this year got serious about it. In my case no family history of heart issues but as I am fit and eat relatively well it’s seemed odd. (Currently 36) I am taking a much harder line on diet - limiting sugar and simple carbs - and eating only real un processed foods and then rather then testing once a year i am gonna test every few months and see how things are going - it’s cheap to do. $8 or so. But would be good to know what your specific numbers were too? - total cholesterol isn’t super valuable it seems. For me my triglycerides are pretty low but my LDL and appo b are both high while my HDL is not. I’ll let you know how it goes.

The huberman podcast with Dr Attia (Linked to above) did make me feel like statins might be a good call in certain instances though - but certainly not in place of improving diet and exercise.
Funny enough, got a call today that the correspondence in my online chart was a mistake lol. He was reading someone else's results but in my portal and that he does not think my results are indicative of someone that needs meds yet.

Just had brain surgery a month ago. I’d like to walk a mile without stopping and correcting my double vision. I’m down 15 pounds because hospital food is the worst!
You’re putting one foot in front of the other, keep at it. I am proud of you seeing the effort you are making. Please keep us up dated.

Getting back on the ridge as the snow melts. I’m at 3000, fog line is about 4800, the top is a little over 6k. Base of the hill is 1.5 miles from the house, top is about 3.5 miles. Three days per week should work. Goal is a non stop ascent, don’t care about speed at 67 years. (just found a clear pic)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • 7CB4BD1F-FAEF-43CA-9D8C-ACE4A3E2135A.jpeg
    7CB4BD1F-FAEF-43CA-9D8C-ACE4A3E2135A.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
3 months in and i need to change some things up. I think my main issue is i need to eat more calories. I think my metabolism is pretty slow because of it. I vary from 1650-2200 a day. I try to get to as close to 200g protein a day as i can. I may have to shift my weightlifting goals to more of a strictly weight loss goal. Losing weight and building muscle are hard to at the same time and i feel i hit my limit for both. Having stayed at this weight for some time now, and my weightlifting progression has slowed down a bit. Hopefully in 3 months i will have a better update. Love reading everyone's goals and seeing you achieve them!

I guess I’ve been slacking on updates. Since I hit my mid-40’s, this whole exercise and diet thing has sure changed a lot.

The good: the knee feels great and the strength training has been paying off. The surgical leg feels stronger than ever, and feels just as good as the other side. More popping in there than there used to be, but function is good and pain-free.

I traded cardio for weights 3 days per week and that’s been interesting. Everything I read says I should be focusing more on strength training at my age, and I’ve seen a noticeable change in muscle mass and definition.

The bad, or at least frustrating: the scale isn’t budging much, or at least very slowly. I’m sure this is partly due to adding muscle. But partly I think it just isn’t as easy as it used to be to drop weight. Trying to stick to unprocessed foods, mostly plants and lean proteins.

Living in a frozen, drifted wasteland isn’t helping. It’s still sub-zero every morning. I can not wait for all this damn snow to melt so I can actually get out and do stuff.

I am jumping into a more serious workout routine this year. I was a swimmer in college and I have started swimming again everyday and weight training 3-4 times a week. I have noticed considerable muscle loss in the last year (51 years old). The workouts are a must for me at my age and I am reprioritizing my work outs. I plan on sucking the government dry in retirement. I am actually just trying to keep up with my son and have a long retirement while I hunt and fish my but off.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back