Hunt for sons graduation ??

BrokeTrapDad

hopefully you guys can offer me some suggestions my son last night told me that he would forfeit his graduation trip with his class and gifts to go on an Elk or Deer hunt with me "dad". So I need todo what ever I can to put this together and make this happen. So what Im looking for is advise on the most economical way to go I have no problem with self hunting but need to find land or a outfitter tag Im sure because of not wanting to wait on a draw tag etc. Not picky on location i.e. state Ill travel but I don't even know where to start on looking for a location or outfitter, guide, ranch etc. so any help will be much appreciated. Hopefully Im posting in the correct location if not I apologize and just let me know and Ill take it down. Just a little about us we are currently in Northern CA... Thanks again

I would look at over the counter Montana or Idaho hunts. Let your son decide on the location and help in the planning of the trip. That way the two of you can enjoy the experience for a whole year and not just a week in the fall. No need to go with a guide on either of these states and both have good opportunity on both deer and elk. Sounds like a great time. I would look for areas that have elk and deer seasons that over lap. Then get him both a bull/either sex elk tag and a buck tag. If he gets a bull tag then you might want to look at getting a cow elk tag.

You can hunt elk with an over the counter tag in Colorado and Idaho. You wouldn't have to draw the tag or have the added expense of a landowner tag or outfitter. A landowner tag or outfitted hunt might give you the best odds a killing something. You will have to make that decision. For the past few years Montana Big Game Combo tags (elk/deer) have been a guarantee to draw for a non resident. That may be another option to consider.

If you have the time, I would also do the big game combo for MT. I'm sure plenty of us on here would be willing to help out with that.

I told my son when he started high school if he got straight As, I would take him bear hunting. My plan was to take him to the place I bowhunt in Manitoba. With the way everything is working out I've changed gears and we are heading to Alaska. We are taking a 65' boat out of Homer next spring with 4 of our friends he respects and admires. The price is much better than the Manitoba outfit and we have warm dry bunks, all our food included and cooked, deep sea fishing, and fantastic scenery to top it off. No matter what I'm sure it will be a better experience than watching a bait barrel and the same 15 yard circle of "bush"

Montana, Idaho or Colorado all have easy OTC availability with a quality hunting experience. As of right now you have lots of runway to research these three states. There are pros and cons to each, MT is the most expensive, but has the longest season and weapon choice (amazing archery opportunity on public lands). Colorado caters to out of state opportunity and is the lowest cost, but you have to choose a weapon and a week (season) you want to hunt. Idaho lands in the middle, longer seasons (but not as long at MT) and weapon choice, and a cost in-between MT and CO.

I'd start layering these variables, tag/license cost, commute cost, commute time, and your schedule flexibility (in a year like this one with crazy warm weather flexibility is a huge advantage). From here pick a state, there is no wrong answer, but pick one and go.

Once you have a state picked start to figure out where to hunt, look at terrain, public access, talk to the biologists, look at success rates, average days hunted and further narrow your focus and get a list of a few units that really interest you and start to dive deeper. Look into area specifics, areas you'd want to hunt, and talk to the biologists. Have some spots picked out before you call. Questions like "I was looking at elk creek and deer valley and they look good because they are a decent distance from a road, there's good cover and water" tend to go much further than "where should I hunt". From here make another decision to pick a unit (if you have to for your tag) and continue to digitally scout. A trip up in the summer for even a day or two can be a huge advantage just to understand where the roads are, what the cover looks like as opposed to what's on Google Earth.

Have fun with it, you've got a few months to make a decision for which state and all summer learn your unit. Keep the second guessing to a minimum, there can be a lot of "white noise" out there when researching, stay focused and committed to an area.

This is an awesome graduation gift, and an opportunity to create memories you'll never forget.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back