Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Huckleberry Smores

bdidaho

The 3rd annual High Valley Huckleberry Smore Cook-off was held last Sunday . It is a fiercely competitive event between my grandkids. They take smores roasting to another level. It is a particularly fun time for me and one I look forward to more than anything else because 1. It is one of the few times I get to see my grandkids since they all live out of state from Fairbanks to Dallas. And 2. I’m the judge! I had to award 2 first places this year to the 2 oldest. One because it was the best smore I’ve ever eaten and the other because it was a non-traditional smore( chocolate chip cookies instead of graham crackers) which was by far the best thing I ate that day. They all have to have fresh huckleberries, hence the name of the cook-off. If you’ve never had a huckleberry smore you are missing something and you may certainly attend next years event to help me eat them.! Huckleberries were in short supply this year. Very few berries on a bush if at all in all my picking spots until one. Why I don’t know but it was loaded so the competition was on.
I don’t know how to put captions with each picture so they are, An early morning picking session, one of the few bushes we found that had huckleberries, a topless smore( I downgraded this one because the chocolate was not soft and I was still hungry), getting serious in the heat of the battle, and the chocolate chip huckleberry smore. And the last one is what we do when we are too full of smores, we go fish.
This year I had 2 bows up there as well from 15 to 40 pounds that my 3 oldest grandsons could shoot. I have a 3D sheep target I bought from our bow club when they replaced theirs so I told them all when their moms asked what we’d been doing to tell them “ just hanging out with granddad, shootin the sheep”

Attachments

• August 2009 008.jpg
    August 2009 008.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 238
  • Huckleberry Bush.jpg
    Huckleberry Bush.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 237
  • August 2009 021.jpg
    August 2009 021.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 235
  • 08prop11 020.jpg
    08prop11 020.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 232
  • 08prop11 023.jpg
    08prop11 023.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 234
  • PF 003.jpg
    PF 003.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 229
You are a dirtbag throwing huckleberries in front of our face like this!!!!! Not a berry to be had at our place in SE Oregon. Nada, zilch, none!!!

In all seriousness. Good on ya, and I WILL NOT show my wife your pics.

That looks like a lot of fun. What a great weekend spent with your grand kids. So where do I sign up to be a judge next year;)

If you ever need additional judges, I'm in! I can't believe I will have to wait a whole year to pick huckleberries. :( Nice pics, I can't wait to be back in the mountains soon.

BD
Had to cut/paste your post to my brother when I told him you were in H Valley. Our morning hunts are usually on the high ridges to the north of the valley so we have the sun at our back.

BD
Had to cut/paste your post to my brother when I told him you were in H Valley. Our morning hunts are usually on the high ridges to the north of the valley so we have the sun at our back.

Off 601?? We are right at the bottom below Leonard Pratt"s place at the west end of the valley. I've hunted the FS land off 601, we've probably hunted the same ground at some time.
BD

Off 601?? We are right at the bottom below Leonard Pratt"s place at the west end of the valley. I've hunted the FS land off 601, we've probably hunted the same ground at some time.
BD

Winner, winner, chicken dinner! Also all of the 614 roads where we know every wallow and seep spring in the *black holes* as we call them. Also clear over to Ramage Meadow and the high ridges over there. Oct 13-20 cannot get here soon enough.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back