Yeti GOBOX Collection

Hub Shack for base camp?

Sdhunters

NR first Wyoming elk hunt and thinking we will day hunt from base camp and thinking of using our hub shacks for tent set-up. Has anyone used their hubs in place of tents for camping? Is this a throw away idea?

I’m assuming a hub shack is what I call a pop up ice fishing shelter. They work, but are not waterproof if you get a lot of rain. A lot of snow can also be an issue, but you can cut a piece of pvc pipe to support the hub.

Used mine last year in NM as a cook shack and found out just how much not-waterproof it really was. Soaked everything inside with water literally dripping through the seams. The one day we got wet heavy snow it did collapse some of the hubs which was no big deal but just be prepared.

Same experience here, used as a cook shack and not waterproof. Mine is a 6x12 and worked just fine after I added a tarp over the top.

If your thinking of spiking out with a pop-up, you also have to factor in the carry weight. Pop-up is going to be a lot heavier than a bivy.

Thank you all for the information. I appreciate any info to make planning easier and hopefully complete.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back