Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Howa Superlite

timberman56

about to pull the trigger on a light weight rifle in 6.5 CM . the Howa supelite is at the top of my list. would like to hear pros & cons from anyone who has personal experience on : 1. accuracy 2. fit & finish 3. trigger pull weight/ creep 4. suggestions for a lite Leupold var. 4-12 or so X 40 or 44. 5. durability of camo finish (had a trainwreck with my Maxus, 6-7 mo to have Duracoat removed and shipped back) .

That's a pretty new rifle so reviews will be minimal especially for the camo finish but it looks to be painted not dipped. Rokslide has a thread about them with mixed reviews especially toward the stock construction.

I'd pick 3.5-10 VX3

Superlight rifles are hard to control so while you save weight for carrying it may suffer in the shooting side of things.

I haven’t seen one of the superlites in stock yet but have handled the Newberg edition with a CF stock. Those are nice and well finished, the super lite should be sweet. If you’re going light weight save what you can on the scope, too. VX3 2.5-8 or a Swaro Z3 would be my pick. Light rifles are generally harder to shoot but in a creedmoor it shouldn’t be near the issue.

I was doing some research on that gun last year and read some not great stuff on them (especially the stock). Probably from that same rokslide post that @Mthuntr was talking about. Everyone is different so maybe it would be great for you. If it was me I'd go with a Kimber or Tikka. I have 2 Tikkas and they are great guns. My stock tikka is pretty light. One of my hunting buddies has a Kimber Mtn Assent and that gun is pretty awesome too.

My vote would be a VX3HD or VX5HD

I was at Howa’s facility today. Lots of our time focused on the Superlite. Finally, I’ll get one in a 7mm-08 to go with the .308 I have.

I’ve spent an entire year with the .308 version. Killed an elk with it. Uncle Larry killed an elk with it. Best lightweight rifle I’ve ever owned and I shot a lot of critters with the predecessor Alpine Mountain Rifle.

I’ve learned that rifles, and a few other items, are argued to no end on the internet. Not a lot of minds get changed, but plenty of regurgitation of “Yeah that’s what I heard, too.”

I could hunt with any of the Howa rifles. I’ll be using the Superlite in most all instances other than pronghorn on the prairie.

Howa can’t keep them in stock, but I think I got six of them allocated to give away to our audiences.

Good luck in your evaluation.

I was at Howa’s facility today. Lots of our time focused on the Superlite. Finally, I’ll get one in a 7mm-08 to go with the .308 I have.

I’ve spent an entire year with the .308 version. Killed an elk with it. Uncle Larry killed an elk with it. Best lightweight rifle I’ve ever owned and I shot a lot of critters with the predecessor Alpine Mountain Rifle.

I’ve learned that rifles, and a few other items, are argued to no end on the internet. Not a lot of minds get changed, but plenty of regurgitation of “Yeah that’s what I heard, too.”

I could hunt with any of the Howa rifles. I’ll be using the Superlite in most all instances other than pronghorn on the prairie.

Howa can’t keep them in stock, but I think I got six of them allocated to give away to our audiences.

Good luck in your evaluation

had a blue/walnut Model 7 in 7-08 2nd or 3rd yr they were out and like a dummy sold it. awesome little gun. got another stainless/ synthetic in 243 that's a great little gun. Randy, any idea when the 7-08 will be available? what about a stainless model ?

I have the Superlite in .308, sweet rifle. The knocks against the stock not being carbon fiber is because it doesn't look like the normal cf build, because it is a new process. It is a carbon fiber stock. The only thing that is a little funky about the stock is the junction between the recoil pad and the stock, kind of like a glue seam. I mounted a Leupold VX3-HD in Talley lightweight mounts. The rifle weighs 5# 7.5 oz with the scope mounted. I shoots sub moa with 130TTSX pushed by a full case of AR-Comp at 3050fps. The recoil impulse is not too bad at all for being such a light rifle, don't really have a desire to shoot 180's with it though. The 2 stage trigger is real smooth, think I adjusted it down to about 2.5#, it has no discernible creep after the first stage is taken up. Like any super light rifle you have to hold on to it to shoot it accurately, can't just rest it on sandbags and expect it to hold a tight group. Can't attest to the durability of the finish on the stock, but it does feel a little "rubbery/grippy". Haven't killed any elk with it but it did kill a pretty nice whitetail. I have the Howa Alpine in 6.5 CM compliments of Big Fin, and this rifle is about a pound and a half less weight to pack around in the woods. Hopefully I will get to take it to Wyoming for a general elk hunt if I am blessed with a tag in 23.

Attachments

• IMG_3369.JPG
    IMG_3369.JPG
    599.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3368.JPG
    IMG_3368.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 57
Last edited:
thanks for the replies, Big Fin's and Case's reviews carry a lot of weight with me. I'm ordering one next week. best price I've found is on Bud's website, if u find a better price please pm me.

Good luck in your evaluation.
Hey Big Fin,
Howa’s website only lists .308 and 6.5… you are saying 7mm-08…. Are more calibers coming out?

just received my Superlite yesterday, Leupold in hand, waiting on rings to arrive tomorrow. can't understand why Howa didn't tap receiver for an existing scope ring instead of pic rail. but the rifle is crazy light, trigger breaks smooth and light, fit and finish looks good, can't wait to take it to the range. 7-08 and 243 will be great additions

just received my Superlite yesterday, Leupold in hand, waiting on rings to arrive tomorrow. can't understand why Howa didn't tap receiver for an existing scope ring instead of pic rail. but the rifle is crazy light, trigger breaks smooth and light, fit and finish looks good, can't wait to take it to the range. 7-08 and 243 will be great additions
Which Leupold?

Methinks Talley is making rings for them now if you wanted to ditch the pic rail.

Back