Howa Superlite

I was at Howa’s facility today. Lots of our time focused on the Superlite. Finally, I’ll get one in a 7mm-08 to go with the .308 I have.

I’ve spent an entire year with the .308 version. Killed an elk with it. Uncle Larry killed an elk with it. Best lightweight rifle I’ve ever owned and I shot a lot of critters with the predecessor Alpine Mountain Rifle.

I’ve learned that rifles, and a few other items, are argued to no end on the internet. Not a lot of minds get changed, but plenty of regurgitation of “Yeah that’s what I heard, too.”

I could hunt with any of the Howa rifles. I’ll be using the Superlite in most all instances other than pronghorn on the prairie.

Howa can’t keep them in stock, but I think I got six of them allocated to give away to our audiences.

Good luck in your evaluation.
Let me get one of them

I want one of these for my mini. Its already stupid light, but could cut like 16 oz of factory. I think a mini with skinny with one is like 4.75lbs.
I picked up one of their blems for my 223AI mini, you know it is light when they measure it in grams. Don't know what the complete rifle weighs but it is about a pound lighter. The stock is kind of slick and this has the carbon weave on the exterior.

I would be careful buying a superlite rifle. This last year I purchased a Weatherby Backcountry 2.0 in 308 Winchester. A beautifully made rifle with very good accuracy when firing the first 2 shots, the thin barrel heats up fast…. A true joy to carry in the field. These superlite rifles are extremely hard to stablize under field conditions. If you are mildly out of breath or shooting in a windy environment there will be alot of movement you do not want. I sold that rifle and got a Sako 85 Finnlight which is over a pound more and could not be happier. The scope I have settled on for many of my rifles is the Leupold VX3HD 4.5-14 40mm objective CDS with BOONE and CROCKET RETICLE. This scope is light, can be dialed and has a reticle marked for 200,300,400,450 and 500 yards. Works like a charm for me, IMO.

Last edited:
Mine showed up a couple months ago and I finally found time to throw a scope on it this evening. Even with low rings it sits a bit higher than I prefer but not too horrible. Hopefully I'll get some range time in this weekend. Went with the 308.
View attachment 273766
I got these Talleys and got my scope to sit a lot lower.

Reactions: 454
I love the Howa superlite, have two of them and 8 mini in different calibers , 1 carbon elevate, All shot MOA just as advertised and all will outshoot the kimbers and weigh a pound or better less than the kimbers , like the kimbers but all could use a recoil lug bed job , I think Howa has it figured out and will take over the light weight rifle market !!!!!

I got these Talleys and got my scope to sit a lot lower.
I did the same thing with my superlites, the regular Howa mini 1500 tally’s will not fit the superlites , You have to order the tally’s specifically for the superlites I took the pic rail off and went with the low Tally’s!!!

Yeah I see myself spending money on either a Superlite or a Stalker in the next 12 months. I can't rule out an Elevate either.

Yeah I see myself spending money on either a Superlite or a Stalker in the next 12 months. I can't rule out an Elevate either.
The elevate that I have is 6.5 Grendel and shoots great with factory or reloads , Howa has come out with a new model with a stockys stock and its spider web paint , A great looking rifle !!!

Folks wanting a very indepth review of this rifle, watch this video by my friend, Ron Spomer. Ron always gives me some guff for shooting a .308 Win, but he knows that will never change my mind. I have field test rifle #1. So far, in the .308, it has taken a Wyoming elk, Arizona elk, Alaska black bear, Yukon moose, and Mountain Caribou. Howa will not be getting this one back.

Ron mentions how a suppressor has helped balance this rifle and seems to make it even more accurate. That is also my observation.

Anyhow, here it is from a guy who forgot more about rifles while drinking coffee this morning than I will likely know in my lifetime.

Brownell's has the Super Lites on sale for $889 right now--even the 7mm-08s. I like the new stock colors that have been offered. I'm not a huge fan of the Kryptek, but it's all that was available when I ordered mine.

Currently my 6.5 is being held hostage by my son, hoping to draw some blood with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back