MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

HOWA questions here

Matt,
I have a Weatherby Vanguard S2 in 240 Weatherby, which is made by Howa I believe. When I broke it in initially with the recommended break-in procedure it shot great. Now it wants to string a group of 4 shots vertically descending about 4-5 inches. The action is tight in the stock and the scope is tight. Thought it was the bipod, but it also did it resting on the forend behind the sling stud. I have never had a rifle string shots like this before. I previously was shooting at 100yds and today was at 200yds, maybe it wasn't noticeable at 100yds. If it keeps it up it won't get to go to Wyoming on an antelope hunt. Any suggestions?

yup, call Weatherby. Unfortunately i cant speak on their behalf.

Good to see you are listening. The current rage is cartridges that require long actions and large bolt faces. mtmuley

Got myself a new Howa 1500 in .270 recently and am getting ready to hit the woods Saturday chasing some of the small whitetails we have here in Arkansas. The only ammo I had on hand to start with was some Remmy 130 gr core-lokt. I have used them in other calibers and never had a problem but I can not get accuracy much better than 2-3" at 100 yards. Does anyone have any Go-To box ammo that I should put on the short list for the range trip tomorrow?
Thanks,
Pilsner

My daughter's gun likes the Hornady's
Got myself a new Howa 1500 in .270 recently and am getting ready to hit the woods Saturday chasing some of the small whitetails we have here in Arkansas. The only ammo I had on hand to start with was some Remmy 130 gr core-lokt. I have used them in other calibers and never had a problem but I can not get accuracy much better than 2-3" at 100 yards. Does anyone have any Go-To box ammo that I should put on the short list for the range trip tomorrow?
Thanks,
Pilsner

A update to my previous posts in search of a mini-action youth setup. I had a local dealer order a barreled action in .222 Remington, 20 inch lightweight barrel this summer. I finally got around to ordering a Boyds stock for it at the end of summer. My son picked out the stock and laminate pattern, all the while thinking it was going to be for my Remington 788. Boyds took about 2 weeks to get it cut and shipped, which pretty darned fast for a semi-custom stock. The Boyds stock fit great, but I still had my gunsmith fit and bed the stock, just because... I topped the setup with an older 2.5-8x36 Leupold that I had from a previous rifle. The compact form of the scope matched the profile of the rifle very well. I gave the setup to my son for his birthday today. We took it out this morning, broke in the barrel and zero'd the scope. It turned out perfect. The rifle handles well, has minimal recoil, and shoots groups. So far I'm very impressed with both the Howa and the Boyds. I can't wait to get out for coyotes!

20171125_094712.jpg

20171125_103352.jpg

20171125_104355.jpg

Hello Matt, I am the proud owner of a HOWA Model 1500 chambered in 30-06. The rifle is very well balanced and shoots accurately (under an inch @ 100yds) however, the trigger does have a tremendous amount of creep. What can I do (other than installing another trigger) to smooth the factory trigger?

Little background on the rifle: Imported by LSI, Serial number starts with "B" and has a 2 position safety.

Thank you in advance for your time.

PS Is there anyway to find out the year of manufacture on this rifle by the prefix on the serial number?

Hello Matt, I am the proud owner of a HOWA Model 1500 chambered in 30-06. The rifle is very well balanced and shoots accurately (under an inch @ 100yds) however, the trigger does have a tremendous amount of creep. What can I do (other than installing another trigger) to smooth the factory trigger?

Little background on the rifle: Imported by LSI, Serial number starts with "B" and has a 2 position safety.

Thank you in advance for your time.

PS Is there anyway to find out the year of manufacture on this rifle by the prefix on the serial number?

that is the old style trigger, call us at 775-828-0555 and well get you the price on a new trigger unit, ask for Chad.

thanks!

How close does anyone follow the Howa barrel break-in procedure ?

The break in procedure is a guideline.
but i personally recommend the following- clean the bore prior to shooting, shoot one, clean for 5-10rds. shoot a few groups and then clean after a box. use hoppes #9 or similar.

I have a Howa Ranchland in .223. Nice rifle, but seems heavy considering the short slender barrel. Can a stock change help lighten this rifle? This model doesn't seem to get much publicity, so wonder if the weight puts folks off?

I have a Howa Ranchland in .223. Nice rifle, but seems heavy considering the short slender barrel. Can a stock change help lighten this rifle? This model doesn't seem to get much publicity, so wonder if the weight puts folks off?

The stock can certainly be switched out for a lighter one. We have sold a TON of those rifles so i wouldnt say they are un-popular

Matt I just acquired Howa number 7 and it doesn't want to shoot like a Howa should. It's the standard Howa Hogue overmold 22" 223. I've swapped scopes just to double check and same results. I've tried 2 factory loads as well as several handloads including 6 different bullets with 4 different powders and the best so far has been 1.61" group. Any ideas as to what this rifles issue might be? No it's not the guy behind the trigger!!!!! Thank you

We just purchased 3 howa kuiu rifles. Two in 308 and one in 7mm 08. We are excited to see how they shoot.

Hey Matt,

I'm looking at getting a new rifle in a 300 win mag, most likely in 24" barrel. I've got a .308 in Alpine Mountain rifle and love it. I know I don't "need" a larger caliber and .308 has plenty of stopping power, however, if I'm honest I just want a 300WM.

I looked at the 2018 catalog and noticed a new HS Precision rifle. What are your thoughts on the HS Precision vs Hogue? Both come in the caliber I want and have threaded options if I go that route. I just curious if it's worth the price difference?

Also, I'll be using this rifle as a hunting rifle in high elevation for big game.

Matt,

Over the past several years I have seen reports of Howa 1500's in 6.5x55 not shooting accurately. Blame has gone to rate of twist in barrel, over long chambers, and several other possible culprits. There have been claims that you guys knew/know about the problem and have either fixed it or discontinued the chambering due to this depending on who is doing the writing.. Is any of this true? I am looking at buying one as it is one of my favorite chamberings, but wonder if I would be disappointed due to poor accuracy? If one gets a rifle that doesn't meet accuracy guarantees, what can be done?

Thanks,

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back